Gains from porting and polishing my stock TD04?

This is a discussion on Gains from porting and polishing my stock TD04? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've gotten very interested lately in PnP'ing my stock TD04 in my WRX. Seems (from what I have researched) that ...

Gains from porting and polishing my stock TD04?

I've gotten very interested lately in PnP'ing my stock TD04 in my WRX. Seems (from what I have researched) that it should give a modest bump in power (10-20 whp) and, more importantly, let the turbo spool quite a bit quicker. I recently decided not to swap in a VF48 into my car due to high miles and fairly high cost (~$2k)... sounds like I can PnP my turbo and get a retune for it for around $300.

Anyone here have any experience with this? Are the gains noticeable?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, you will def notice a quicker spool time. I know grimmspeed does porting polishing for our turbo's, and i have personally seen their porting/polishing work and it is very nice. If you get them or another reputible build shop to do a good porting/polishing, along with a good tune your turbo will spool up anywhere from 200-600 rpms faster and 5-20 hp can be had.
    2011 WRX hatch in WRB---Stage2: **Stink-eye Mob #301**--- Mods:Invidia Q300, Invidia catted DP, perrin CAI, grimmspeed turbo heat shield, v3 accessport, subaru short throw shifter, momo shift knob, subaru red footwell illumination, subaru black SE wrx side badges, perrin front license plate delete plate, grimmspeed front license plate relocator, perrin shorty antenna, and RA mudflaps. Stage 2 tune from Perrin Performance