Suggestions for engine swap
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Suggestions for engine swap within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought a 2002 WRX that has an engine with a rod knock for 00 (A steal if you ...

Suggestions for engine swap

I just bought a 2002 WRX that has an engine with a rod knock for $2500 (A steal if you ask me). This is my first Impreza and am looking for some suggestions on how to proceed. I am thinking somewhere in the range of 350-400 HP so what engine, turbo, mods, etc would you all recommend to get me off the ground and running (literally). Thank you in advance for any help and I am thrilled to be a part of the community.

Here she is...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	121210

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Wheel Hp or Crank Hp?

Your options mostly consist of 2.0, 2.5, 2.1 stroker, Hybrid, and the JDM motors. JDM will require a lot of extra work though. Each have their own challenges, advantages, and disadvantages.

East Taut'in, Massachusetts, United States
    LS1 swap. Do eet!

Sent from my iBone
    Kartboy STS, related shifter/linkage bushings, Whiteline subframe bushing inserts, Whiteline rear differential bushing inserts, Whiteline steering rack bushings, Grimmspeed MCB, Group N tranny mount, TiC tranny cross member bushings, gimmick turbro inlet pipe, Ingen intake, PW-clone TMIC, Turbrosmart BPV, Megan catless DP, Tsudo N1 exhaust... X-wing dangly and dashboard Buddy Christ (for lulz)

I'd like to have wheel horsepower but there are a few limitations I must look at first. How much HP and injector size can the stock ECM and 5 spd tranny support? I don't want to go crazy on the rebuild but if I can drop a brand new Subaru or even JDM engine in and get even 300 at the wheels then I'd be happy. If I have to spend 5k-6k to get to 350-400 HP its not worth it. I might as well go get a used STI and go from there.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The stock ECU can support 600+whp and 2200cc injectors (if you're running e85). Unfortunately you can't set the pulse width low enough to idle stoich on 93 octane with 2200s, but 1600s will idle fine on 93.

As far as the transmission, if you're wanting to drive it hard, regardless of what power you have, you're going to want to upgrade it. You can break it at stock power levels, or be fine with 400whp, depending on how you drive.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.