Install FMIC?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Install FMIC? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I own a 2012 wrx sedan, and I was considering taking out the stock TMIC, for a FMIC. Heres why: ...

Install FMIC?

I own a 2012 wrx sedan, and I was considering taking out the stock TMIC, for a FMIC. Heres why:
    First off, I am going to end up doing some serious modifying to my car, and obviously a FMIC can potentially leave more room for HP.
    Also, I was thinking about maybe instead just getting an upgraded top mount, but I hear it might waste money due to possibly more serious upgrading in the future.
    Also though, I am slightly worried about it. How significantly turbo spool is affected, the fitment on the bumper, having to cut a bumper beam.
    If anyone has any experience with this upgrade, it would be appreciated to give me your opinion.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know what you consider "serious modifying".. but unless you're planning on building a dedicated drag car there's not a lot of reason to discount a good TMIC. FMIC is a pain in the ass.. you've got to cut stuff up to make it fit, high cost repairs if you bump something with your front end, leaks, etc.

Oh **** ok then. Do you have any recommendations on tmic upgrade? I hear process west makes good one

Process West is good.. that would be my first recommendation.

FMIC is okay, just a hassle. It's good at reducing heat soak, but that's only really a problem while you're staging at a track. I have a FMIC myself.. but I also have a rotated GTX35r, so FMIC just makes sense at that point.

Alright dude. Also, what is the difference in turbo spool when you changed to the front mount?

The intercooler won't effect spool. Intercooler is on the cold side, what happens on the hot side of the turbo is what determines spool. What the intercooler will effect is transient response. The turbo will feel a little punchier with a TMIC, and not lose as much boost pressure between gears.

There's no way to tell what effect there was on my car because I also changed the block, turbo boost control, intake, headers, etc. when I went to FMIC. Everything was different about spool. Before I upgraded the turbo this last time I was getting full boost (~24psi) in 3rd gear around 3100rpm on a vf22.

I had a Perrin TMIC, it was high quality but the throttle body coupler constantly popping off was an issue, even after I upgraded it. I swapped back to the stocker and I'm hopefully installing my FMIC this weekend, before a turbo swap eventually.

I have a PW TMIC and am basically at a full stage 2 set up (just about all the basic bolt-ons perrin/cobb sells). My TMIC is not holding me back at this point - my fueling is.

My logic (however incorrect this may be) has always been that when I changed turbos (necessitating a change in fueling and all that), I'd go with a FMIC. Otherwise, with the stock turbo, I'd stick with TMIC. The way the midrange is on my car, I REALLY like the set up and how it perfroms.

A friend of mine (wrx50 on here) has a FMIC and I have the top. PM him for his opinion on the difference between the cars.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

There are plenty of people out there with good quality TMICs running over 400whp/400wtq.

As TankerTruck says...because you have a good TMIC, you now are outdoing the fuel system.

OP, if you're looking for better performance, start at the beginning. Are you even Stage 2 yet?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    The intercooler won't effect spool. Intercooler is on the cold side, what happens on the hot side of the turbo is what determines spool.
    This is not directed at you, because you're aware of this, but more a general comment...

From a technical standpoint, no, it really won't. However, because of the decreased pressure drop, datalogs may read 16PSI @ 3100 RPMs with OE TMIC vs 16PSI @ 3000 RPMs with an aftermarket one; some may describe that as "better spool". However, the compressor maintained the same level of boost pressure at the same RPMs (nothing changed pre-turbo), so from a pure definition, it spooled the same. Most times, people are only concerned with pressure levels at the manifold (vs compressor) since that's what tunes, datalogs, dyno plots, etc. typically reference. Based on that criteria, a quality TMIC will "spool" the turbo faster.

In the end, it depends on what the persons definition of "spool" really means.
    Last edited by EJ257; 10-30-2013 at 04:45 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

True.. I suppose that can be like "perceived spool", or something like that. Of course if you're comparing two quality aftermarket units I would assume they both have pretty low pressure drop, so TMIC vs. FMIC should still be relatively the same as far as perceived spool.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    True.. I suppose that can be like "perceived spool", or something like that. Of course if you're comparing two quality aftermarket units I would assume they both have pretty low pressure drop, so TMIC vs. FMIC should still be relatively the same as far as perceived spool.
    That's where the length of post-turbo piping comes into play...you're looking at ~12" or so with a TMIC vs much more with a FMIC.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Also, i need help understanding the blow off valve situation. Is there literally no way i can use the blow off valve without running rich?

The FMIC with all the associated piping makes for a lot more air volume. Takes the turbo longer to build pressure. But then there is more air available for the blow-off-valve to do it's thing - making noise. Therefore a FMIC has the undeniable advantage! QED.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex mike View Post
    Also, i need help understanding the blow off valve situation. Is there literally no way i can use the blow off valve without running rich?
    You can change to speed density kind of tuning...

BOV just isn't necessary. If you need to upgrade (pushing over 18-19lbs of boost), then get a BPV. If you absolutely have to have a BOV for the sound, then you have to deal with the negative consequences and potential issues.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.