2008 Subaru Impreza WRX has 224 hp..cheap turbo to bump up 265hp?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX has 224 hp..cheap turbo to bump up 265hp? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is there any cheap used STi's turbo that will bump my HP to about 265? I'm disappointed that the 2008 ...

I'm engaged to my WRX. kedonot1's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX has 224 hp..cheap turbo to bump up 265hp?

Is there any cheap used STi's turbo that will bump my HP to about 265? I'm disappointed that the 2008 wrx has a smaller turbo which runs only 224hp... I'm looking to spend a few hundred bucks if possible...and I'm not looking for a GT35R or anything huge, just enough to bump my horsepower 40-60hp.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    you cant just slap on a turbo and call it a day. you need supporting mods, a tune, etc.

if youre only looking to spend a few hundred, get a used downpipe, a tatrix cable & get an opensource tune.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    you cant just slap on a turbo and call it a day. you need supporting mods, a tune, etc.

if youre only looking to spend a few hundred, get a used downpipe, a tatrix cable & get an opensource tune.
    So you can't just slap on a 2008 WRX STi turbo? I would purchase a downpipe and a accessport as well...

I saw the STI turbo on ebay for 2008 used for $300.. The fittings aren't the same? I thought the 2009 WRX was the same way, they just put a STI turbo in it.

Its a little more involved than "just putting an sti turbo in it".. Turbos aren't plug-n-play
    If you are only looking to spend a few bills, take advice from wrxtreme.

Quote Originally Posted by kedonot1 View Post
    So you can't just slap on a 2008 WRX STi turbo? I would purchase a downpipe and a accessport as well...

I saw the STI turbo on ebay for 2008 used for $300.. The fittings aren't the same? I thought the 2009 WRX was the same way, they just put a STI turbo in it.
    Dez already answered this. You can't just slap a different turbo on, you'll need a custom tune. That is different than using the accessport's pre-loaded maps. If you look at Cobb's website they clearly state in the map notes what the tunes on the ap support.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

I can't stop laughing at this thread.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Basically what everyone is saying is that, with a bigger turbo you will need fuel upgrades and a tune. If you don't understand why this stuff is needed there are plenty of threads and stickies explaining it. I don't know about newer generations, but you may need an intercooler upgrade as well.

The car is a whole system and when you change a component in a system, you will need to change other components etc. The STi turbo will likely bolt up and fit physically, but you will need to upgrade other things in order to "support" it.

The better route, like everyone has said before is to get a tune and a downpipe. That will get you to your power goal.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    The STi turbo will likely bolt up and fit physically, but you will need to upgrade other things in order to "support" it.
    Not even, the 08+ have a LGT style turbo, so a STI turbo won't just fit regardless of the year.

Do as others advise, downpipe and a tune. If you feel it's still lacking, get a VF52 (09 WRX turbo) with supporting mods.

East Taut'in, Massachusetts, United States
    VF52... Not a cheap turbro unless found used. Other than a tune, you'd be good to go.
    Of course, to be completely safe and sound, fuel upgrades should be had, but a moderate tune would not necessitate them.

Sent from my iBone
    Kartboy STS, related shifter/linkage bushings, Whiteline subframe bushing inserts, Whiteline rear differential bushing inserts, Whiteline steering rack bushings, Grimmspeed MCB, Group N tranny mount, TiC tranny cross member bushings, gimmick turbro inlet pipe, Ingen intake, PW-clone TMIC, Turbrosmart BPV, Megan catless DP, Tsudo N1 exhaust... X-wing dangly and dashboard Buddy Christ (for lulz)

I had an '08. All I did was put on a CBE, CAI and got a tune by someone who knows what they're doing. I gained minimal HP, but TONS of torque. At the wheels it was only 191HP...but the torque was at 290TQ (Mustang AWD Dyno). We pushed the turbo to 16.9PSI peak. It was plenty faster and very cost-effective and NO CELs or other issues in over 4 years. Smaller turbos usually mean less turbo lag as well. I had virtually NONE...instant power off the line. Just sayin'...
    Last edited by JaySin; 10-29-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Image removed (Language)
    Last edited by zax; 10-29-2013 at 10:52 AM.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    Not even, the 08+ have a LGT style turbo, so a STI turbo won't just fit regardless of the year.

Do as others advise, downpipe and a tune. If you feel it's still lacking, get a VF52 (09 WRX turbo) with supporting mods.
    The 08+ what? The 08+ WRX's have an LGT style turbo whereas the 08+ STi's do not?

02-07 WRX and STi have the same turbo "styles" so they will exchange. I only know 02-07's. I was just making a conjecture. But the main point was that he would have to do supporting mods to upgrade turbos.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 10-29-2013 at 09:39 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post

Motor trend says that the 2009 WRX turbo is the STi turbo. Also, I mean't I would use the cobb tuning accessport for the down pipe. Unfortunately, I don't wanna even support this forum no longer due to the amount of douchebags on here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast