Internal or External waste gate for turbo

This is a discussion on Internal or External waste gate for turbo within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok i am going to get a new turbo and i want to know if i can get a Externaly ...

Internal or External waste gate for turbo

Ok i am going to get a new turbo and i want to know if i can get a Externaly waste gated turbo and what do i need fo it to work properly and please let me know if i need to have a internaly waste gated turbo for my 13' wrx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    That kind of depends. What turbo are you getting? You can install an EWG with any turbo, but it's not always necessary and it's a decent amount of extra money to buy the parts.

Here is everything you will need to know. Well, not really everything. But, its a ton of information and its a great place to start:
    Technical Articles

As mentioned, it all depends on what turbo you want. What are your goals?

You'll get better boost control with an EWG.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

There are a lot of things to consider when thinking about going to an EWG setup. First and foremost, it can be done to any turbo, even one like your vf52 with a stock IWG. The way to do it is to either take the turbo to a shop and have them block off the internal wastegate, or, I believe, buy the IWG block off from grimmspeed. Then, you will need a new uppipe designed for an external wastegate, a lot of brands make them, and they are easy to find used on the forums as well. Next, you need to decide on a wastegate, for most setups a 38mm WG is suffucient, and I personally prefer Tial.

Now, once all of that is done, bought, and ready for install, you need to decide one more thing. Where do you want your wastegate gases to go? Many people just run a dumptube from the wastegate, this is what gives that awesome loud sound of an ewg. There are some pros and cons to dumping your wastegate gases directly into the atmosphere though.
    PROS: Sound
    Cost (wont have to replace downpipe)
    Will make most power this way

CONS: Police attention. (check your local laws for exhaust and pollusion control)

Your other option, run everything as described before, but instead of a dump tube from the wastegate, the wastegate gases are directed back into your downpipe and exhaust gases. You would need a new downpipe made specifically for a EWG setup in order to this. They can be a bit pricey depending on what brand and where/who you get it from.

PROS: Quiter
    Less police attention

CONS: More exspensive
    Make a few less HP than running a dump tube

Pretty sure this is all accurate. If not, someone correct me.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread