Replacing invidia cat less dp-retune? And gas smell question

This is a discussion on Replacing invidia cat less dp-retune? And gas smell question within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys im new to the scooby crew with my 08 wrx. It came with a invidia catless downpipe with ...

Replacing invidia cat less dp-retune? And gas smell question

hey guys im new to the scooby crew with my 08 wrx. It came with a invidia catless downpipe with flowmaster exhaust along with a bigger turbo, injectors, injen cai, d2 coils. It has been tuned. My question is if i was to replace the invidia catless with a catted downpipe do i need to retune? i want to quiet the exhaust down a lil bit due to my baby being in the car and also to get rid of the horrible smell. Your thoughts are appreciated. also was thinking of getting the q300 exhaust also.

also got one other question. when i was driving home the car interior smelled like gas. I popped the hood and on the top right side by the hoses was where the smell was coming from. i didnt see any leaks though. The previous owner stated that if he doenst start the car in awhile this is what happens. Do you guys know anything of this? I read that in the 02-04 cars that there was a fuel smell problem when it was cold out but anything with the 08-10 models?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Adding just the catted DP won't do much for the loudness, and nothing for the actual dB levels. You'd need multiple cats as in the stock exhaust or a quieter muffler or a resonator or all three...depending on how quiet you want the exhaust. The muffler makes the most difference. Do you want it close to stock levels?

Quote Originally Posted by HiTdAtSiT View Post
    hey guys im new to the scooby crew with my 08 wrx. It came with a invidia catless downpipe with flowmaster exhaust along with a bigger turbo, injectors, injen cai, d2 coils. It has been tuned. My question is if i was to replace the invidia catless with a catted downpipe do i need to retune? i want to quiet the exhaust down a lil bit due to my baby being in the car and also to get rid of the horrible smell. Your thoughts are appreciated. also was thinking of getting the q300 exhaust also.

also got one other question. when i was driving home the car interior smelled like gas. I popped the hood and on the top right side by the hoses was where the smell was coming from. i didnt see any leaks though. The previous owner stated that if he doenst start the car in awhile this is what happens. Do you guys know anything of this? I read that in the 02-04 cars that there was a fuel smell problem when it was cold out but anything with the 08-10 models?
    If the car was protuned to the catless downpipe, I think u would need another tune for a catted dp. Do u have an access port? If so, those cobb maps are only designed for catted downpipe.

I have the q300 on my 13 wrx hatch and I like it. I've also read a lot of reviews of horrible droning but I don't hear anything... I also paired it with a invidia catted dp.

If u smell gas under your hood its probably a fuel hose loose/leak. Check near your intake manifold. My car smelled more gassy after putting on the dp but I don't smell anything under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxnguyen View Post
    If the car was protuned to the catless downpipe, I think u would need another tune for a catted dp. Do u have an access port? If so, those cobb maps are only designed for catted downpipe.

I have the q300 on my 13 wrx hatch and I like it. I've also read a lot of reviews of horrible droning but I don't hear anything... I also paired it with a invidia catted dp.

If u smell gas under your hood its probably a fuel hose loose/leak. Check near your intake manifold. My car smelled more gassy after putting on the dp but I don't smell anything under the hood.
    Thanks for your replies. I don't want it necessarily close to stock I do like a nice note just not loud loud. it's also mainly the smell of cat less that bothers me. If it was to quiet it down even just a little that's fine with me. I do want the q300 and a catted downpipeand I guess with that I will have to retune.

I looked at the fuel lines by the fuel filter where the smell was emanating from and no smell when I just popped the hood. I'll check again when I start it up tomorrow. Any reason why it would only smell if not driven in awhile?

I Support ClubWRX
    A catless (or even high flow cat) will have more of a "raw" gas smell than a stock downpipe. That is normal.

If you replace the downpipe then you will definitely need a re-tune.