03 WRX, Smarter to run a Catless Downpipe Or a Catted Downpipe?

This is a discussion on 03 WRX, Smarter to run a Catless Downpipe Or a Catted Downpipe? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Which is better? trying to get some opinions before I order my Downpipe soon. Originally I was going to order ...

03 WRX, Smarter to run a Catless Downpipe Or a Catted Downpipe?

Which is better? trying to get some opinions before I order my Downpipe soon. Originally I was going to order a Catted Cobb Downpipe for my WRX but now I'm kind of in between because The catless Downpipe is cheaper and I can order more aftermarket parts for my car at the same time. I know it's a noob question but I've heard that 03 wrx's don't have a problem with boost creep. Is that true?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I've heard from several reputable tuners that cats aren't the way to control boost creep if it's happening. But no, it's not generally common on 03's, especially not at a stage 2 power level.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477715

It comes down more to what your preferences are as far as catted or catless.

catted
    -more expensive
    -somewhat quieter
    -nicer on environment
    -maybe more convenient with emissions testing etc

catless
    -maybe a bit more power gains
    -marginally louder
    -cheaper
    -"more" illegal and less convenient if you have emissions testing

Most people choose catless cause it's cheaper, or catted because they have stringent emissions tests in their state/city.

What are your local emissions standards? Do you have inspections or anything?
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 10-13-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    I've heard from several reputable tuners that cats aren't the way to control boost creep if it's happening. But no, it's not generally common on 03's, especially not at a stage 2 power level.
    Everything you need to know about boost creep - NASIOC

It comes down more to what your preferences are as far as catted or catless.
    -more expensive
    -somewhat quieter
    -nicer on environment
    -maybe more convenient with emissions testing etc

catless
    -maybe a bit more power gains
    -marginally louder
    -cheaper
    -"more" illegal and less convenient if you have emissions testing

Most people choose catless cause it's cheaper, or catted because they have stringent emissions tests in their state/city.

What are your local emissions standards? Do you have inspections or anything?
    I do have inspections every other year which is why I was considering getting a catted downpipe at first. But I don't have a problem with installing the stock downpipe for emissions purposes. Don't really want to spend 600 bucks on a downpipe but from what I've read the Catted Cobb Downpipe is meant for the Accessport. Thanks for info too, Once I'm stage 2 I'll be staying stage 2.
    Last edited by Subarufan123; 10-13-2013 at 10:02 PM.