08 WRX VF-52 Turbo Upgrade Questions

This is a discussion on 08 WRX VF-52 Turbo Upgrade Questions within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, I own a 2008 WRX Sedan and currently am running a Stage 1 tune from Torqued Performance and ...

08 WRX VF-52 Turbo Upgrade Questions

Hi guys,

I own a 2008 WRX Sedan and currently am running a Stage 1 tune from Torqued Performance and love it. I have the access port and everything I need to upgrade to the 2.52 tune from TP (link below if you are interested). It basically consist of just swapping the stock 2008 turbo for the VF-52 turbo that is on the 09-10+ model WRX, I BELIEVE. I am buying the VF-52 turbo for $200 from an individual parting out a 2010 WRX with 48k miles on it. I figured for this price, I would take the risk and hope it works (i believe the car is stock). I have read multiple threads, some stating that other engine modifications are needed and some not. I need to buy a downpipe aswell, which I am thinking about getting an Invidia Catless DP. What do you guys think? Is this worth the hassle? Is it an easy swap? From what I understand, I believe this was the only other engine modification that gave the extra power boost in the 09+ model. Also, i'm not familiar with the term "boost creep" that are known in result of a Catless Downpipe. I live in Michigan and emission testing and sound is not an issue. Is this bad and easily recognizable or am i better off just going catted? (I don't want too if needed).

I know this is a lot of questions and I appreciate any input! I need to know before I buy this turbo what i'm getting myself into from you guys. Thanks for reading, feel free to post your opinion!

TP Stage 2.52 Tune for Accessport (2008 WRX Stage 2.52)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Some cars creep, some don't. You won't know until you install the downpipe.

To swap turbos, you need to remove the downpipe, so you may as well install an aftermarket one in its place instead.

I'd strongly urge you to pick up at least a boost and WBO2 gauge to go with the swap.

Is the swap easy? That can't be answered without knowing your mechanical aptitude. It's not too difficult if you have proper tools, can follow instructions, and basic mechanical sense. I would suggest having an aftermarket turbo inlet on hand in case your OE one tears (if you choose not to use it, you can sell it for $10-20 off what you paid). Perrin makes a decent inlet for under $200.
    Last edited by EJ257; 10-12-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I plan to swap the turbo along with an Invidia Catless downpipe at the same time like you say. I have the Accessport V3 that offers multiple gauge functions, is that good enough? Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch08WRX
    I plan to swap the turbo along with an Invidia Catless downpipe at the same time like you say. I have the Accessport V3 that offers multiple gauge functions, is that good enough? Thanks!
    Yes/No

I prefer a proper gauge as opposed to a device like the Cobb AP. The AP will not allow for proper AFR monitoring (it's only capable of reading the ECU, which references the front O2 sensor), so your tuner will be "shooting in the dark" in terms of fueling.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Makes sense. Since the tune is setup for the swap specifically the 2008 WRX, I would hope that I would be fine..?? I will most likely get one. Thanks for the input.

Also, I would assume that I need a a 2010 WRX's Downpipe correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch08WRX View Post
    Hi guys,

I own a 2008 WRX Sedan and currently am running a Stage 1 tune from Torqued Performance and love it. I have the access port and everything I need to upgrade to the 2.52 tune from TP (link below if you are interested). It basically consist of just swapping the stock 2008 turbo for the VF-52 turbo that is on the 09-10+ model WRX, I BELIEVE. I am buying the VF-52 turbo for $200 from an individual parting out a 2010 WRX with 48k miles on it. I figured for this price, I would take the risk and hope it works (i believe the car is stock). I have read multiple threads, some stating that other engine modifications are needed and some not. I need to buy a downpipe aswell, which I am thinking about getting an Invidia Catless DP. What do you guys think? Is this worth the hassle? Is it an easy swap? From what I understand, I believe this was the only other engine modification that gave the extra power boost in the 09+ model. Also, i'm not familiar with the term "boost creep" that are known in result of a Catless Downpipe. I live in Michigan and emission testing and sound is not an issue. Is this bad and easily recognizable or am i better off just going catted? (I don't want too if needed).

I know this is a lot of questions and I appreciate any input! I need to know before I buy this turbo what i'm getting myself into from you guys. Thanks for reading, feel free to post your opinion!

TP Stage 2.52 Tune for Accessport (2008 WRX Stage 2.52)

Well, IMO, I think the vf52 is a very good upgrade to the 2008 wrx's. And it should be a direct bolt on replacement for your car. Since you are buying the turbo used, I would suggest taking the turbo to your tuner to be checked out before just throwing it on your car! Don't want to put a defective turbo on your car, then have to reverse all the steps you just performed. Also, and correct me if I am wrong guys, I would NOT buy a catless downpipe if you do not plan on getting a protune. Catless DP's HAVE to be protuned. The accessport stage 2 map and those like it will not work with them. So, you must buy a catted downpipe. I am not to sure about the Torqued Performance maps, but from your link I do not see anything stating that it supports a catless downpipe. And, catless downpipe have more boost creep issues than a catted downpipe I believe. Good luck, if everything goes smoothly you will be a happy camper!

Also, I believe all downpipes are the same on the 2008-2014 wrxs.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Thanks for the reply! I do not however have a tuner. The closest one is 4-5 hours away unfortunately... So if I do buy the TF-52 I will most likely mark the guy's word that it was working well (I hope) before the car was wrecked and put it on mine :/. I figured for the price, why not? I am not sure how big of a job this is though. I emailed Eric from Torqued Performance and he said that the Catless Downpipe should not be an issue with his tune and said "Some car's have boost creep and others don't, to help solve the issue you can put back on the stock CAI." I mean either way, i'm out the money and time of installing the turbo worse case senario. I plan to go stage 2 anyways, which I will need a down pipe regardless. And you are correct on the downpipes being the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch08WRX View Post
    And you are correct on the downpipes being the same.
    Yup. 100% sure. Check out this link for yourself. Says 2008-2014 Wrx/Sti.
    Invidia Downpipe Catted Divorced Wastegate Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2014 WRX / STI) HS08SW1DPC at RallySportDirect.com
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    Oh, sorry I didn't clarify. I meant to say that yes, you were correct!

oh, lol. Just read your post again. That was a misread on my part!
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

get with Eric from Torqued. I just finished a vf 52 swap with his map. He will make sure you are running right if you do what he says.