CAI
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on CAI within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys looking to get a cold air intake for my 04 wrx and figured id ask what yall recommended? ...

CAI

hey guys looking to get a cold air intake for my 04 wrx and figured id ask what yall recommended? ive had K&N on my past cars

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Not many people on here will recommend cold air intakes. Just remember, If you get a new intake you'll need a tune.

It depends on your power level whether or not it will be worth it. What are your mods and where do you plan to go? The best cold air intake is the stock one, no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Not many people on here will recommend cold air intakes. Just remember, If you get a new intake you'll need a tune.

It depends on your power level whether or not it will be worth it. What are your mods and where do you plan to go? The best cold air intake is the stock one, no joke.

Cobb website

Calibrations All aftermarket intakes for 08+ Subarus require tuning in order to ensure the MAF sensor reads properly and the engine operates within safe parameters. COBB Tuning has you covered with Off-The-Shelf Maps for the Accessport, making it as easy as install, flash and go! Head over to the Subaru Accessport Map Database to view the full selection of SF Intake Maps for your vehicle.
    Says only on 08+ does it require a retune..

On your model you could get say a CObb intake and it would be fine.. That's according to the website..
    COBB Tuning - Subaru SF Intake and SF Airbox Kit

Only an 08 up would require a tune .. I would stay away from CAIs just because the risk of sucking up water is greater..

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If only there were a search function on this forum that could guide you to the answers to your questions....
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Man I installed INJEN CAI (wrong choice!) , but because I use AP COBB V3, stage 1 map, I had to buy COBB CAI, so in a couple of days I will be replacing my intake again!

Well, for the most part you guys are right. Most cai's will require a tune after install. However, Perrin claims that their CAI will work fine without issues on stock tune due the placement of the maf in their tubing. To be honest, I was skeptical. I pulled the trigger on one for my 08 wrx back in the day. No issues what so ever with the AFR, or CEL's. So i was convinced. I just purchased one for my 11 wrx a few weeks ago. Been on for over 2 weeks now. No issues again. The sound is awesome, it was a cheaper part and will help net some gains later on down the road with the power mods i plan on doing in the near future.
    2011 WRX hatch in WRB---Stage2: **Stink-eye Mob #301**--- Mods:Invidia Q300, Invidia catted DP, perrin CAI, grimmspeed turbo heat shield, v3 accessport, subaru short throw shifter, momo shift knob, subaru red footwell illumination, subaru black SE wrx side badges, perrin front license plate delete plate, grimmspeed front license plate relocator, perrin shorty antenna, and RA mudflaps. Stage 2 tune from Perrin Performance

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    Well, for the most part you guys are right. Most cai's will require a tune after install. However, Perrin claims that their CAI will work fine without issues on stock tune due the placement of the maf in their tubing. To be honest, I was skeptical. I pulled the trigger on one for my 08 wrx back in the day. No issues what so ever with the AFR, or CEL's. So i was convinced. I just purchased one for my 11 wrx a few weeks ago. Been on for over 2 weeks now. No issues again. The sound is awesome, it was a cheaper part and will help net some gains later on down the road with the power mods i plan on doing in the near future.
    Yea.. Check out the facts before the misinformation..

As stated if your car is an 08+ that's where they say you need a tune according to say COBB.. Before 08 there is 0 tune required for an intake.. But if you want to get the max out of it of course you would get a tune.

Bugeyes don't need a tune. Anything after them I would definitely recommend it, even if the manufacturer says you don't need it.

I'll trust the guys who've tuned these cars and seen what's going on when aftermarket intakes are installed versus the ones who want to sell me a filter and some pipes. I'm sure one of them will eventually make their way in this thread to explain the more technical details.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Engines go boom when you don't get a tune...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dat8687 View Post

As stated if your car is an 08+ that's where they say you need a tune according to say COBB.. Before 08 there is 0 tune required for an intake.. But if you want to get the max out of it of course you would get a tune.
    So then YOU should consider not spreading misinformation!

Let's start with the fundamentals shall we? What intake an intake? It is the interface between ambient pressure and the lower-pressure "vacuum" in the engine manifold (in Forced Induction, prior to the compressor). The intake has little to do with mapping of the car's ECU in a fundamental sense. Instead, there are two components that may necessitate re-mapping of the car's ECU when an aftermarket intake is installed:

1. Flow of charge around the MAF sensor
    2. Freeing large intake restriction placing car in higher (untuned) load cells

In a MAF-fueled arrangement, the MAF sensor attempts to estimate the total mass of air flowing into the engine by correlating the reading at ONE POINT with the total cross-sectional area. This relationship is determined by a process called "MAFv tuning." If the relationship between the MAFv and the actual mass airflow changes, the car will no longer fuel optimally. This relationship may change due to a larger-diameter MAF housing or due to changing airflow characteristics within the intake piping. CAIs are notorious for causing changes in the airflow characteristics primarily due to the bend in the piping immediately prior to the MAF housing. This is why CAI install is rarely recommended without a proper tune. Some intakes like the GD Cobb SF intake contain air-straighteners to mimic the stock airflow characteristics. These intakes are considered "safe" for the stock tune.

If the intake is a significant restriction (may be the case on the 2008+ LGT style intake), freeing up that restriction may allow the car to hit higher load cells under WOT. In the ECU mapping, the car's timing and fueling are tuned for specific load and RPM ranges (this is a bit different with the "requested torque" CANbus logic, but applicable in a broad sense). If the car enters load cells out of this range, the ECU will attempt to extrapolate the proper timing and fueling, which may not always be effective. In some circumstances, this may damage the motor.

I hope that you will see that the relationship between installing an intake and tuning the car isn't so black-and-white as "2008+ need a tune and 2002-2007 don't need a tune." Instead, it comes down to the design of the intake in every way functional. I can design an intake that will work on the stock tune on a 2008+ WRX. Likewise, I can design an intake that will destroy a GD motor if running the stock tune. Frankly, I have personally seen how poor the stock ECU mapping is on the stock airbox. If it were me, I would custom-map any intake on any car.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX

Man, you have got to stop....
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar

oh well duh, what was I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    So then YOU should consider not spreading misinformation!

Let's start with the fundamentals shall we? What intake an intake? It is the interface between ambient pressure and the lower-pressure "vacuum" in the engine manifold (in Forced Induction, prior to the compressor). The intake has little to do with mapping of the car's ECU in a fundamental sense. Instead, there are two components that may necessitate re-mapping of the car's ECU when an aftermarket intake is installed:

1. Flow of charge around the MAF sensor
    2. Freeing large intake restriction placing car in higher (untuned) load cells

In a MAF-fueled arrangement, the MAF sensor attempts to estimate the total mass of air flowing into the engine by correlating the reading at ONE POINT with the total cross-sectional area. This relationship is determined by a process called "MAFv tuning." If the relationship between the MAFv and the actual mass airflow changes, the car will no longer fuel optimally. This relationship may change due to a larger-diameter MAF housing or due to changing airflow characteristics within the intake piping. CAIs are notorious for causing changes in the airflow characteristics primarily due to the bend in the piping immediately prior to the MAF housing. This is why CAI install is rarely recommended without a proper tune. Some intakes like the GD Cobb SF intake contain air-straighteners to mimic the stock airflow characteristics. These intakes are considered "safe" for the stock tune.

If the intake is a significant restriction (may be the case on the 2008+ LGT style intake), freeing up that restriction may allow the car to hit higher load cells under WOT. In the ECU mapping, the car's timing and fueling are tuned for specific load and RPM ranges (this is a bit different with the "requested torque" CANbus logic, but applicable in a broad sense). If the car enters load cells out of this range, the ECU will attempt to extrapolate the proper timing and fueling, which may not always be effective. In some circumstances, this may damage the motor.

I hope that you will see that the relationship between installing an intake and tuning the car isn't so black-and-white as "2008+ need a tune and 2002-2007 don't need a tune." Instead, it comes down to the design of the intake in every way functional. I can design an intake that will work on the stock tune on a 2008+ WRX. Likewise, I can design an intake that will destroy a GD motor if running the stock tune. Frankly, I have personally seen how poor the stock ECU mapping is on the stock airbox. If it were me, I would custom-map any intake on any car.
    You just repeated what I stated.. 02-07s don't require a tune with an intake.. I was simply quoting Cobb

Cobb website

Calibrations All aftermarket intakes for 08+ Subarus require tuning in order to ensure the MAF sensor reads properly and the engine operates within safe parameters. COBB Tuning has you covered with Off-The-Shelf Maps for the Accessport, making it as easy as install, flash and go! Head over to the Subaru Accessport Map Database to view the full selection of SF Intake Maps for your vehicle.

Only an 08 up would require a tune ...

If cobb is lying?.. You need to let them know as well as other tuners/manufacturers since you know more than them.
    Last edited by Dat8687; 10-10-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    oh well duh, what was I thinking?
    lol.. Just breaking your bawls.. I keed I keed.. Jk

You just repeated what I stated.. 02-07s don't require a tune with an intake.. I was simply quoting Cobb

Cobb website

Only an 08 up would require a tune ...

If cobb is lying?.. You need to let them know as well as other tuners/manufacturers since you know more than them.
    Important to take note that on their website when you look at maps and their intake for 02-07, they never say that you don't have to tune for intakes for those years. Only that you don't have to tune for their intake. There's a difference.

As far as whether you should always trust aftermarket companies in their claims, I'ma leave this here:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2468443
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast