CAI - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on CAI within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by EJ257 Incorrect. Zax is stating that a blanket claim like '02-'07 vehicles don't require MAF recalibration with ...

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Incorrect. Zax is stating that a blanket claim like '02-'07 vehicles don't require MAF recalibration with an intake is false.

I don't know where you took reading comprehension, but your quoted section makes ZERO mention of any model below '08+.

I'll put this nicely...you are wrong, and please stop posting misinformation.

Sorry according to cobb your wrong again..

No Tuning Required
    This COBB SF Intake does not require additional tuning once installed. It is designed to work perfectly with the stock MAF sensor. Simply install and go!
    02-07s including sti...

Do not require any form of tune for intakes.

COBB Tuning - Subaru SF Intake Kit

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dat8687

02-07s including sti...

COBB Tuning - Subaru SF Intake Kit
    I can assure you, my statement is NOT wrong. There has got to be some kind of disconnect in the communication here...

According to Cobb, THEIR intake on the '02-'07 WRX/STI does not require MAF scaling. Their tolerance levels are more lenient than mine in terms of vehicles I tune (which, for their purposes, they have to keep things lenient considering all the conditions they have to deal with). I don't say that if +/- 1PSI of target boost, the tune is good. I don't say that if 8% AFR Learning, the tune is good.

Cobb intake may be "safe" with the stock MAF scaling on pre-08 vehicles, but if someone were to interpret your comment to mean that any stock-sized intake is "safe" without MAF rescaling (hence the outcry), that could spell disaster for them.
    Last edited by EJ257; 10-17-2013 at 05:48 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Dat8687 View Post
    I quoted cobb.. As in cobb intakes .. Where did I state any other intakes... And what I stated was from their website.. You are generalizing and I didn't.. I said a cobb intake go back and look..
    Ok.

02-07s including sti...

You just repeated what I stated.. 02-07s don't require a tune with an intake.. I was simply quoting Cobb

Only an 08 up would require a tune ...
    Yea.. Check out the facts before the misinformation..

As stated if your car is an 08+ that's where they say you need a tune according to say COBB.. Before 08 there is 0 tune required for an intake..
    This may be semantics, but if you are only referring to Cobb's intake, then all those times you said "an intake" or "intakes" that I just quoted...you probably should have said "Cobb's intake" instead. Again, may be just semantics, but someone could read those and think that you, and by your reference Cobb, are generalizing. You have not been as specific or clear as you claim you have.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry for the idiocy OP.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

So, guys I am not trying to stir the pot here. I agree with you guys 100%. I actually removed the perrin CAI from my car yesterday and put the stock intake system back on until the rest of my parts arrive at tax time. But this is directly from PERRIN's website.......

***Stock ECUs-PERRIN Intakes will run safely with all stock cars, running stock ECUs. No modifications are required.***

Just blows my mind that they would make such a broad statement without there being truth to it. Now I know perrin is not the only company that makes this sales pitch. Injen and I'm sure others claim this too. Just makes me wonder. Oh well, I am playing it safe. No more CAI until I am stage 2.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    So, guys I am not trying to stir the pot here. I agree with you guys 100%. I actually removed the perrin CAI from my car yesterday and put the stock intake system back on until the rest of my parts arrive at tax time. But this is directly from PERRIN's website.......

***Stock ECUs-PERRIN Intakes will run safely with all stock cars, running stock ECUs. No modifications are required.***

Just blows my mind that they would make such a broad statement without there being truth to it. Now I know perrin is not the only company that makes this sales pitch. Injen and I'm sure others claim this too. Just makes me wonder. Oh well, I am playing it safe. No more CAI until I am stage 2.
    I'm sure they have done a ton of research to make sure they can put that claim out there. Most likely your car will not explode by putting the CAI on, but if you don't have any way of being sure then do you really feel safe slapping the intake on? I might feel safer with the statement from Perrin if they guaranteed they would replace my engine if anything went wrong with it after installing the intake. But they don't. Thing is, if you don't have any data logging/monitoring capabilities then there would be no way that you could prove for certain that the intake was the cause of a destructive event (and probably would have a hard time proving it with data logging/monitoring too), and thus couldn't really go after Perrin for making the claim they make. Most likely that is why they feel safe putting the statement out there.

Don't get me wrong, I like Perrin products (I have their CAI and a stage 2 tune from them.) They also have very good customer service. But I do monitor the engine constantly rather than taking Perrin's word that everything will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I'm sure they have done a ton of research to make sure they can put that claim out there. Most likely your car will not explode by putting the CAI on, but if you don't have any way of being sure then do you really feel safe slapping the intake on? I might feel safer with the statement from Perrin if they guaranteed they would replace my engine if anything went wrong with it after installing the intake. But they don't. Thing is, if you don't have any data logging/monitoring capabilities then there would be no way that you could prove for certain that the intake was the cause of a destructive event (and probably would have a hard time proving it with data logging/monitoring too), and thus couldn't really go after Perrin for making the claim they make. Most likely that is why they feel safe putting the statement out there.
    I agree. I think Perrin is a great company. I have been buying parts from Perrin since my first wrx and have had nothing but good things to say about them. I understand completely what you are saying. I will not run my CAI until I am stage 2 with a AFR gauge to monitor it correctly. Just for the peace of mind, don't want my engine to go boom before I even start my build lol!
    Don't get me wrong, I like Perrin products (I have their CAI and a stage 2 tune from them.) They also have very good customer service. But I do monitor the engine constantly rather than taking Perrin's word that everything will be ok.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Ok.

This may be semantics, but if you are only referring to Cobb's intake, then all those times you said "an intake" or "intakes" that I just quoted...you probably should have said "Cobb's intake" instead. Again, may be just semantics, but someone could read those and think that you, and by your reference Cobb, are generalizing. You have not been as specific or clear as you claim you have.
    Every single quote you listed had Cobb in it. So yea that was implied. But I see what your saying its semantics?
    Sorry for any confusion there
    Last edited by Dat8687; 10-30-2013 at 02:27 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123