CAI - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on CAI within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Dat8687 You just repeated what I stated.. 02-07s don't require a tune with an intake.. I was ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dat8687
    You just repeated what I stated.. 02-07s don't require a tune with an intake.. I was simply quoting Cobb
    Incorrect. Zax is stating that a blanket claim like '02-'07 vehicles don't require MAF recalibration with an intake is false.

Quote Originally Posted by Dat8687
    Cobb website

Calibrations All aftermarket intakes for 08+ Subarus require tuning in order to ensure the MAF sensor reads properly and the engine operates within safe parameters. COBB Tuning has you covered with Off-The-Shelf Maps for the Accessport, making it as easy as install, flash and go! Head over to the Subaru Accessport Map Database to view the full selection of SF Intake Maps for your vehicle.
    Says only on 08+ does it require a retune..
    I don't know where you took reading comprehension, but your quoted section makes ZERO mention of any model below '08+.

I'll put this nicely...you are wrong, and please stop posting misinformation.

Here's a chart of the MAF scaling difference on a 2005 STI with a popular stock-sized intake:
    Last edited by EJ257; 10-10-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dat8687 View Post
    lol.. Just breaking your bawls.. I keed I keed.. Jk
    Orange is sarcasm font...I stand behind what I said lol.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You just repeated what I stated.. 02-07s don't require a tune with an intake.. I was simply quoting Cobb
    Either of two critical errors occurred here:

1. You did not read my post
    2. You did read my post but did not comprehend the concepts

Says only on 08+ does it require a retune..
    Only an 08 up would require a tune ...
    I'm not sure you have a basic understanding of logic. Here is what we know a priori (facts):
    1. Cobb requires a remap of the ECU when the SF intake is installed on 2008+ WRX
    2. Cobb does not require a remap of the ECU when the SF intake is installed on a 2002-2007 WRX

Here is what you've claimed:
    As stated if your car is an 08+ that's where they say you need a tune according to say COBB.. Before 08 there is 0 tune required for an intake.. But if you want to get the max out of it of course you would get a tune.
    You have generalized Cobb's statement that Cobb's SF intake requires a remapping of the ECU for the 2008+ WRX (does not require remapping ECUs on prior WRX models) and incorrectly applied this generalization to all intakes. This is an incorrect application of logic.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX

I Support ClubWRX
    I love the Picard photo.

My take on intakes for the earlier cars:
    If an intake doesn't require rescaling the MAF, what good is it actually doing and why would I want it?
    If an intake requires rescaling the MAF, why would I want it?

So I'm not in that market...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Sorry, I was not trying to relay any false or misinformation guys. Just stating my experience and things I have heard from a particular dealer/manufacturer. I trust perrin, they make high quality parts IMO. And I agree with ZAX 100%. Stating that 02-07 do not need a tune and 08+ do, is kind of bland and obviously not entirely correct.

This thread now has me second guessing the install of my perrin cai though. I understand that a cai on an otherwise stock car with no tune is netting me no gains. However, like stated, soon down the road with the mods I am planning on, the intake will help out some for a few extra ponies.
    2011 WRX hatch in WRB---Stage2: **Stink-eye Mob #301**--- Mods:Invidia Q300, Invidia catted DP, perrin CAI, grimmspeed turbo heat shield, v3 accessport, subaru short throw shifter, momo shift knob, subaru red footwell illumination, subaru black SE wrx side badges, perrin front license plate delete plate, grimmspeed front license plate relocator, perrin shorty antenna, and RA mudflaps. Stage 2 tune from Perrin Performance

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    This thread now has me second guessing the install of my perrin cai though. I understand that a cai on an otherwise stock car with no tune is netting me no gains. However, like stated, soon down the road with the mods I am planning on, the intake will help out some for a few extra ponies.
    Here is my suggestion (and it's just that: a suggestion)

The CAI will definitely help you further down the line. From my experience with Stage 2 GD STis, the intake will help to unlock a slight amount of power. Since the 2009+ WRX puts down similar numbers, I'd say the same with the newer WRXs as well.

So, keep the CAI as a future modification. Put the stock airbox back on the car for now, until you have modified the car with a downpipe and a tune. When you purchase the downpipe, also purchase a wideband O2 sensor. With the WBO2 sensor, you can easily scale the MAF for the intake

FYR, if you're going for bigger power (>320whp), you'll need a larger-diameter MAF housing anyhow.

Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Thanks zax. Im just in between right now. I called up perrin friday evening and they reassured me that their CAI will not harm my car on the stock tune. I would like to think they would not just tell me that? I have read numerous threads before on the harmful effects CAI's can cause our cars. For Perrin to be so sure about their product not to cause these things, one would think that they did plenty of R+D (data logs and so fourth) to prove this is accurate.

However, I still think I am going to put the stock intake back on until I get my TBE and AP at tax time. But, I do want to get to the bottom of this for everyone's sake. Get the FINAL answer on if there is an intake developed that is truely safe to run stock on our cars. To do so, I am going to call IAG and talk to them about it this week. They sell and install perrin parts at their shop. Also, I will ask my tuner what he recommends and if he says to take it off or whatever then I guess we will know? I will post my findings here as soon as I find out!
    2011 WRX hatch in WRB---Stage2: **Stink-eye Mob #301**--- Mods:Invidia Q300, Invidia catted DP, perrin CAI, grimmspeed turbo heat shield, v3 accessport, subaru short throw shifter, momo shift knob, subaru red footwell illumination, subaru black SE wrx side badges, perrin front license plate delete plate, grimmspeed front license plate relocator, perrin shorty antenna, and RA mudflaps. Stage 2 tune from Perrin Performance

Turbo xs told me I didn't need a tune for my downpipe when I bought it...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    Thanks zax. Im just in between right now. I called up perrin friday evening and they reassured me that their CAI will not harm my car on the stock tune. I would like to think they would not just tell me that? I have read numerous threads before on the harmful effects CAI's can cause our cars. For Perrin to be so sure about their product not to cause these things, one would think that they did plenty of R+D (data logs and so fourth) to prove this is accurate.

However, I still think I am going to put the stock intake back on until I get my TBE and AP at tax time. But, I do want to get to the bottom of this for everyone's sake. Get the FINAL answer on if there is an intake developed that is truely safe to run stock on our cars. To do so, I am going to call IAG and talk to them about it this week. They sell and install perrin parts at their shop. Also, I will ask my tuner what he recommends and if he says to take it off or whatever then I guess we will know? I will post my findings here as soon as I find out!
    Well, in all honesty it's difficult to qualify a "safe" intake without utilizing a WBO2 sensor or a EGA (Exhaust Gas Analyzer). There are ways, however:

HOWTO: One Man's Way of Scaling a MAF - NASIOC

This presumes you have datalogging capability.

Facebook me here

Wow this post went a long way

Yes I do know that my car does require a tune with modifications done to it
    I just was not sure what manufacture people are using
    Thank you for all the information

I Support ClubWRX
    If Perrin intakes don't require any different tuning then they wouldn't have a stage 1 map for the stock intake and a stage 1 map for the perrin intake.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmracerx009 View Post
    I just was not sure what manufacture people are using
    Custom Corksport 73mm MazdaSpeed3 MAF housing, AEM dryflow filter, and a 2.5"-2" reducer

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Custom Corksport 73mm MazdaSpeed3 MAF housing, AEM dryflow filter, and a 2.5"-2" reducer
    Zax Industries Ltd.

Building a Better Yesterday, Tomorrow.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Either of two critical errors occurred here:

1. You did not read my post
    2. You did read my post but did not comprehend the concepts

I'm not sure you have a basic understanding of logic. Here is what we know a priori (facts):
    1. Cobb requires a remap of the ECU when the SF intake is installed on 2008+ WRX
    2. Cobb does not require a remap of the ECU when the SF intake is installed on a 2002-2007 WRX

Here is what you've claimed:

You have generalized Cobb's statement that Cobb's SF intake requires a remapping of the ECU for the 2008+ WRX (does not require remapping ECUs on prior WRX models) and incorrectly applied this generalization to all intakes. This is an incorrect application of logic.
    I quoted cobb.. As in cobb intakes .. Where did I state any other intakes... And what I stated was from their website.. You are generalizing and I didn't.. I said a cobb intake go back and look..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast