Exhaust Down pipe question.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Exhaust Down pipe question. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have heard from several people, that to upgrade to stage 2 on my 2013 WRX. All I would need ...

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Exhaust Down pipe question.

I have heard from several people, that to upgrade to stage 2 on my 2013 WRX. All I would need is a DP and a tune reflash. I'm looking into cobb catted DP to work with my Cobb AP. The question is if I leave the rest of exhaust stock it shouldn't have any boost creep or pressure issues? Want to go stage 2 without being to loud or cause issues with waste gate my car is a daily driver. Any input or insight would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    technically Cobb stage 2 maps call for turbo back exhaust. I'm sure you would be ok running just the DP, but you would want to datalog to verify. You might not hit your target boost.

Like stated above datalog to double check but the restriction is in the cats not the mufflers so you should be fine. Hitting full boost shouldn't be an issue, ask MainFrame he has run stock cat back with a DP

I Support ClubWRX
    What would be target boost? I'm still kinda new at this. I know I want to be less than 20psi?
    When on highway in 5th hitting 17.42psi when they say target is that rated in a certain gear at certain speeds?
    What is target? And how is it rated?
    As for asking MainFrame do I send a message to that screen name? Still new on forums too.
    Is he running a gen 3 mine is 2013. Do you know what he has?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Stock muffler, but that was on an 02.. I don't think it was until 08 or 09 year models that Cobb started calling for a full turbo back. I've been running custom tuning and an engine swap since 2008 anyways. On the bugeye you could get away with running full exhaust without even tuning, newer cars are much pickier.

I Support ClubWRX
    target boost is the boost that the map targets (the "goal" boost). You won't be running higher than 19psi on a stage 2.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you think it will work? Hear so many people talking about boost creep and target boost.
    I live in Boston and emissions can be a pain. That and the noise. Live in neighborhood. That's why looking to keep after down pipe stock. Plus don't want to throw codes and have issues with a new car.
    You guys are really helpfull!!

I Support ClubWRX
    If you go catted DP you should not have any issues except possibly not getting up to the target boost.

I would just go turbo back exhaust haha. If you get the right system it really isn't a whole lot louder than stock unless you really get on it.

And definitely log data. If you don't know what you are looking at post your logs up on this site. People will help you interpret it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you know anyone running stage 2 on a gen 3 with just down pipe? Curious if anyone else is running it or has tried it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Do you know anyone running stage 2 on a gen 3 with just down pipe? Curious if anyone else is running it or has tried it?
    I personally don't. I am stage 2, but I have a TBE. I am sure there are people who have done it though.

I Support ClubWRX
    If it doesn't reach target boost what about waste gate adjustment maps for AP?
    Or data log to have custom map created? I'm also new to data logging. Had 04 WRX sold it for$10,000
    Bought 2013. 04 was automatic biggest reason for selling.

I Support ClubWRX
    Which tbe are you running? I think you told me on another thread but don't recall. Want good flow but NOT LOUD. Do you use a cold air intake? Hear mixed things on gen 3s but they say tune with ap and you'll be good. Or will you?

I Support ClubWRX
    They have high and low wastegate maps. I have not run either. I am on a perrin revised stage 2 map.

Data logging is pretty much just monitoring what is going on with your engine via recording/capturing data using your AP logging functions. Then putting the map into an output that you can look at.

Creating a custom map would be an E tune or protune, which you would have to pay for (but would always have better results for your particular car/set up).

I Support ClubWRX
    What would a tune like that run price wise? And which tbe do you guys recommend? And as far as tbe compatibility your car and mine are the same right? 11 and13?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Tunes generally run between $350 and $500. Honesty, that's the only route I would go. I ran an OTS map back in thr day, but that was before we had cracked the ECU to allow custom tuning. Back then if you wanted to tune you needed a UTEC or a stand alone ECU. And my OTS map was rich as hell..far from ideal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.