Compound Turbo!! Running. NEED HELP!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Compound Turbo!! Running. NEED HELP!! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok My buddy and I have been working on this car for alittle bit now. We just got it finished ...

Ok My buddy and I have been working on this car for alittle bit now. We just got it finished but i believe i didn't calculate the correct rear turbo for this set up. The front turbo is a new stock td04 and the rear is a Precision 5858 t3 .63 A/R. Got it running and now after a quick drive the rear turbo seems to be on the frits. I need help from the turbo Gurus to figure out what is the correct rear turbo to run that will work with a stock td04. Here are some pics. BTW its in a 2000 RS with a 06 wrx swap in it, And yes the hood closes and an intake dose fits under the intercooler pipe :ritz::ritz::ritz:

I was under the impression that doubling the CFM would work but apparently it dosnt. Unless somthing else caused it to fail.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    How does boost control on this sucker work?

I see one wastegate, but I suspect that you'd want individual control over the turbines. Each turbo has different efficiency ranges for relative pressure, though perhaps I'd expect that when the TD04 reaches a choke point, pressure will build behind the T3 turbine. I'd have to think on this.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Most setups I've seen run the larger turbo into the smaller one, not vice versa.

I'm ignorant...but what's the point? I mean I think I understand twin turbo....small turbo kicks in first then larger one for higher rpms or something like that but what exactly is this?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

The idea is the best of both worlds, although it doesn't usually perform that well because the turbine housing on the smaller turbo ends up choking the hell out of the larger turbo. Although if done right I would still expect some degree of top end gain with good spool characteristics.

It does seem like a cool concept. I hope he gets it working!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    I'm ignorant...but what's the point? I mean I think I understand twin turbo....small turbo kicks in first then larger one for higher rpms or something like that but what exactly is this?
    This is a sequential bi-turbo arrangement. Same idea that was common in the 1990s (i.e. RX-7 turbo, Supra, etc.). Modern bi-turbo arrangements are generally parallel (300zx, 335i. etc.).

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    This is a sequential bi-turbo arrangement. Same idea that was common in the 1990s (i.e. RX-7 turbo, Supra, etc.). Modern bi-turbo arrangements are generally parallel (300zx, 335i. etc.).
    Ah ok. That makes sense! Thanks!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

You may be able to set up just one mac valve to control the system.

Actually, maybe not since they're not the same/parallel.

bi turbos are both individual, and symmetrical (mainly for a V block) because of the true dual exhaust and due to the fact that you can pretty much assign a turbo to one side of the engine (or one exhaust). A twin turbo is a smaller turbo inline with a bigger turbo, the smaller one spools quicker and that boost get your bigger turbo spooling creating a fast onset of power. This is of my understanding. from what I have read and learned from cars like the audi BiTDI, A Bi turbo V6 diesel (awesome engine btw, just not in the US yet) and then a twin turbo 300zx... Correct my if you think im wrong but this is my understanding of the difference between the two. not trying to hijack the thread, just stating

Sick setup to the O.P though, and good luck getting it to work. I would seek some advice from a tuner perhaps, or find a big build on a twin turbo online somewhere and see how they set it up. Im not going to give advice because Im no genius when it comes to boost.

zax
    Actually, your definitions are backwards.

Twin-turbo is a type of bi-turbo arrangement consisting of two identical turbos (as far as compressor, turbine, and trim). This type of arrangement is almost exclusively in parallel - each turbo feeds a separate bank of cylinders. The BIG-little arrangement to which you're referring is sequential bi-turbocharging.

This is at the very least technically correct. Colloquially, sequential BIG-little bi-turbo arrangements have often been mislabeled "twin-turbo."

Facebook me here

Bi-Turbo Diesel Engine Explained
    Thats a twin turbo, explained by Audi. the same way I explained it... Its labeled Bi turbo but the top of the article says it is a twin turbo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.