Compound Turbo!! Running. NEED HELP!! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Compound Turbo!! Running. NEED HELP!! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This argument has been waged for years, but in the end "TWIN" means identical. Audi has simply succumbed to the ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    This argument has been waged for years, but in the end "TWIN" means identical.

Audi has simply succumbed to the informal definition.

I simply refer to all arrangements as "Bi turbo," since that's precisely what they are.

Your options with Bi-turbo are:
    1. Sequential
    2. Parallel
    3. Staged
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    This argument has been waged for years, but in the end "TWIN" means identical.

Audi has simply succumbed to the informal definition.

I simply refer to all arrangements as "Bi turbo," since that's precisely what they are.

Your options with Bi-turbo are:
    1. Sequential
    2. Parallel
    3. Staged
    Ok I was going to say the same thing, It seems they throw around both terms (biturbo and twin turbo) as if they are the same thing. Which to my knowledge they are not. I understand what you mean and i respect your knowledge, as i am new to the boost world.. Im not trying to argue, just trying to gain my own knowledge on the subject

but i do understand that when i explained it i had it backwards, idk how. i know what you mean though. it only makes sense, twins are the same. Bi just means 2 (turbos in our case but by definition thats what they mean. i just mixed up the terms somehow, i wonder what happened to the O.P......
    Last edited by kdeitrich; 10-08-2013 at 08:25 PM.

Audi probably uses "bi-turbo" because they are European.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

This is a sequential bi-turbo arrangement. Same idea that was common in the 1990s (i.e. RX-7 turbo, Supra, etc.). Modern bi-turbo arrangements are generally parallel (300zx, 335i. etc.).
    Looks more like a 2 stage bi-turbo setup to me, or am I not seeing something fundamental here? Here's some nice diagrams that make me think this: LINK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Audi probably uses "bi-turbo" because they are European.
    Lol, punny.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm trying to figure out the hot side piping, but the one view you show looks like both turbos are tied together, and then there's an EWG? Do you have a diagram of what you're trying to do?

Also, it seems odd to me to have your high-CFM turbo feeding into a relatively restrictive TD04 turbo. Logic would dictate that the TD04 would be better suited as a booster for the T3, helping it spool faster, then leaving a wide-diameter, fairly unrestrictive path from the T3 through the I/C and back up to the manifold. Of course, compressor maps would confirm or deny this conjecture.

Any way you slice it, though, that's going to be tricky to tune, especially since it would appear you have the hot sides directly linked, with no independent control of one or the other.

Best of luck, it's certainly an unusual build!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    Looks more like a 2 stage bi-turbo setup to me, or am I not seeing something fundamental here? Here's some nice diagrams that make me think this: LINK.
    Yeah I think you may be right. Something is strange when I look back on this.

Looks like the EWG is intended to allow gases to flow into the second turbine. However, since the second turbine is much larger, I wouldn't expect the pressure to build behind the second turbine with an easy outlet like the hard exhaust piping.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I'm trying to figure out the hot side piping, but the one view you show looks like both turbos are tied together, and then there's an EWG? Do you have a diagram of what you're trying to do?

Also, it seems odd to me to have your high-CFM turbo feeding into a relatively restrictive TD04 turbo. Logic would dictate that the TD04 would be better suited as a booster for the T3, helping it spool faster, then leaving a wide-diameter, fairly unrestrictive path from the T3 through the I/C and back up to the manifold. Of course, compressor maps would confirm or deny this conjecture.

Any way you slice it, though, that's going to be tricky to tune, especially since it would appear you have the hot sides directly linked, with no independent control of one or the other.

Best of luck, it's certainly an unusual build!
    Check out the link I posted, and go down to the 2-stage section, looking at his "hot" side piping, it matches up, so that would probably answer those questions, but the "cold" side looks like it's missing the check valve that allows the charged air to bypass the small turbo in higher rpms. Very interesting setup, and I am super intrigued, but wish there were more pics of the setup. Here are the diagrams of how this 2-stage setup runs: Below ~1800 rpms

~1800-3000 rpms

Above ~3000 rpms

Yeah I think you may be right. Something is strange when I look back on this.

Looks like the EWG is intended to allow gases to flow into the second turbine. However, since the second turbine is much larger, I wouldn't expect the pressure to build behind the second turbine with an easy outlet like the hard exhaust piping.
    I see what you mean, think I'm going to have stare at this a bit more and keep comparing it to the flow diagrams.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.