02 2.0l lightweight pulley ?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 02 2.0l lightweight pulley ? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok sofar as i have seen, all the lightweight pulleys are non-harmonic ballencing. just a solid pulley. well, i cant ...

02 2.0l lightweight pulley ?

ok sofar as i have seen, all the lightweight pulleys are non-harmonic ballencing. just a solid pulley. well, i cant argue with how many are out there but that cant be good for a externally ballenced motor right? do they make a lightweight harmonic ballencer? possible tuning issues? everything ive read about bolting them to stock engines goes one way or the other. reason i am asking is kTwn's wrx. found this the other day while installing his stereo.

its just a pulley, where my stock is a harmonic ballencer. if i did that on my old chevy 350 even with a ballenced n blueprinted motor id still be asking for trouble shortly.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes it's been talked about before here and everywhere else basically. I'm not crazy about them and would pass personally but if it's there, so be it. The car doesn't have problems?

By the way, if your car is a Subaru then according to SOA it does not come with a harmonic balancer. See this:

Pulley FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

This is as far as I can tell absolutely true except in the cases where it's false. So I don't know. Nobody may know. Notice in the link Post 1 quotes SOA directly and then Post 12 contradicts the quote, again directly.

Thinking about it, the follow-ups may be right in that there is a difference between a balancer and a dampener. However it's unclear which our cars have stock -- and I've looked at my stock pulley since I did my timing belt. Your call.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 10-03-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I have perused through enough threads that I believe the stock pully is not a harmonic balancer (based on quotes directly from SOA as stated above). Ive also seen a variety of respected members on various forums state that they are pro-lightweight pully.

I have one and love it. Theres a lot more contradicting information out there re: lightweight flywheels... However I have one of those as well and have no issues with it.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Stock pulley isn't a harmonic balancer.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Stock pulley isn't a harmonic balancer.

+1 it is a harmonic damper

Thanks SD, guys. I fail at nasioc search lol. That's a great article SD thanks. And yup I agree, dampener not a balancer. We are still trying to track down just how modded his car was before he bought it. This was something that was found by accident and I've heard about the cel and the pulleys. That's OK tho, its not doing any harm so just not going to worry about it lol. One thing less on the list Haha.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by W_R_XTC View Post
    +1 it is a harmonic damper
    Well, all masses in rotation are in essence dampers. Still, I feel the torsional rigidity of the stock pulley is too high to really be considered an adequate harmonic damper. Furthermore, when compared to the mass of the flywheel, there isn't much difference.

Oh, boy, I'm about to bust out the diff-eq!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.