Nameless claims catback gains 25hp/12 ft lb; is this possible? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Nameless claims catback gains 25hp/12 ft lb; is this possible? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by EJ257 I wouldn't say that they are "pulling your chain", but rather giving you a sales pitch. ...

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I wouldn't say that they are "pulling your chain", but rather giving you a sales pitch. I would not expect 12whp / 25wtq out of a catback as a bolt-on part on a stock car. You gain power by making your car a more efficient air pump. The more air a car can flow through the motor, the more power it will make. On a custom tuned S2 car, I could possibly see maybe a 10whp gain from a catback.

I have never seen it done either with datalogs or with a dyno (but honestly, I've never really looked), but I'd be curious to see what the difference on a completely stock car the stock catback vs open downpipe would be. If open downpipe (READ: no restriction from the catback) doesn't provide that kind of results (while keeping things within the scope of the tuning parameters), I would say it's safe to assume no catback would.
    I asked him to go into further detail, so we'll see what he responds with. They are very cool guys though, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Anyone interested in their work should check out their page.
    Nameless Performance Inc. | About
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I found this old thread on here using this magical thing I've heard people mention here called the "search button". Anyways, I wonder if this is what the Nameless guys are referring to, because this does show increase in hp/tq with their catback, but this is WITH a Stage 1 tune....so I'm not sure it applies to me as I will not be running any intake, downpipe or tune for the foreseeable future unless I decide to ditch my warranty.

Actual Mid/Y pipe gains

Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    I found this old thread on here using this magical thing I've heard people mention here called the "search button". Anyways, I wonder if this is what the Nameless guys are referring to, because this does show increase in hp/tq with their catback, but this is WITH a Stage 1 tune....so I'm not sure it applies to me as I will not be running any intake, downpipe or tune for the foreseeable future unless I decide to ditch my warranty.

Actual Mid/Y pipe gains
    If a stage 1 map was flashed in addition to the catback then most if not all of the power gain would be due to the stage 1 map flash. The downpipe on the car is the major restriction. If you don't change that you can't really have the gains. The catback does not pull more air, it just lets it breath. Its like making the top of a straw bigger. Your drink won't come out more free flowing unless you make the whole straw bigger (that's assuming you don't upgrade to a stage 1 sip).
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 10-03-2013 at 04:01 AM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    oh, I now see that your title is wrong.

It's 12whp and 25ftlbs
    Last edited by zax; 10-03-2013 at 10:37 AM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I am also finding this string very interesting! But I am wondering, just as we need proof that a catback does not increase power, where is the proof that all of the pressure drop in the exhaust system is in the cat and downpipe? I admit I have not searched for the data... I can see how a lot of the losses are in the cat, but the downpipe is relatively short compared to the rest of the exhaust system. And at the small pipe sizes we are talking about 2.5 to 3 inch diameter, there is a major difference in the flow velocity by upgrading the pipe size even that small amount. Just a thought. I can't wait to hear the explanation from Nameless!

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    oh, I know see that your title is wrong.

It's 12whp and 25ftlbs
    ^This lol. Oops, hopefully someone can edit the title. Nameless hasn't responded to my email yet, but we'll see what he says as soon as they do. It really is down to them or the TurboXS and I want to place my order soon.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    ^This lol. Oops, hopefully someone can edit the title. Nameless hasn't responded to my email yet, but we'll see what he says as soon as they do. It really is down to them or the TurboXS and I want to place my order soon.
    I don't know what response they could give to justify a statement that a CBE would have those increases with no modifications to the mapping. Just go TurboXS...It will increase the coolness factor of your car by 50cf (depending on which coolness factor dyno you measure on).

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I don't know what response they could give to justify a statement that a CBE would have those increases with no modifications to the mapping. Just go TurboXS...It will increase the coolness factor of your car by 50cf (depending on which coolness factor dyno you measure on).
    50cf! That's better than a tow hook and JDM STICKAZ!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by motocheme View Post
    I am also finding this string very interesting! But I am wondering, just as we need proof that a catback does not increase power, where is the proof that all of the pressure drop in the exhaust system is in the cat and downpipe? I admit I have not searched for the data... I can see how a lot of the losses are in the cat, but the downpipe is relatively short compared to the rest of the exhaust system. And at the small pipe sizes we are talking about 2.5 to 3 inch diameter, there is a major difference in the flow velocity by upgrading the pipe size even that small amount. Just a thought. I can't wait to hear the explanation from Nameless!
    Very easily. The pressure in the system is a direct function of the containment size and the temperature of the gas. Since thermal transfer is a logarithmic function, most of the exhaust heat is lost prior to the catalyst. By the point of the catalyst, the exhaust has sufficiently cooled and the pressure has decreased.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

In your Ark thread, you wanted something quiet with no drone, if that's what you want, you do NOT want a nameless, It is without a doubt one of the loudest they make, and it's almost impossible to keep clean. The quality is great, handmade, etc. don't get me wrong, but unless you're ready to crank the volume to 11, even with their mufflers, it's going to be loud.... and by loud.. I mean loud.

Quote Originally Posted by irickchad View Post
    In your Ark thread, you wanted something quiet with no drone, if that's what you want, you do NOT want a nameless, It is without a doubt one of the loudest they make, and it's almost impossible to keep clean. The quality is great, handmade, etc. don't get me wrong, but unless you're ready to crank the volume to 11, even with their mufflers, it's going to be loud.... and by loud.. I mean loud.
    Really? Interesting...noise levels are so subjective, as there are reviews that state the exact opposite. Only marginally louder than stock while cruising, but great volume and tone when you get on the gas...this is why I wish I could listen to them in person first! I know the muffler deletes would be hella loud, so I was going to do the 5" mufflers with resonated midpipe; reviews seem to indicate those aren't too loud and have minimal drone. Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by irickchad View Post
    They have many different styles of exhaust. If you go straight muffler delete, then yeah it's loud.

Listen to the Nameless with 5 inch mufflers...nice deep tone with very little drone.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    They have many different styles of exhaust. If you go straight muffler delete, then yeah it's loud.

Listen to the Nameless with 5 inch mufflers...nice deep tone with very little drone.
    That's pretty much what others agree with. I'm still waiting on an email back from Nameless, but TurboXs seems like a cool group of guys too from my communication with them. I want to order an exhaust today so once Nameless emails me back I'll make my decision. The TurboXS catback for $600 shipped is a great deal though; the axleback Nameless is $100 more expensive than that before shipping once fitted with similar tips and 5" mufflers.

Yeah my 5'' has zero drone! I don't know what dude is talking about.

^Do you have axleback or catback?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast