Perrin TMIC for 2009+ WRX - INSTALL INFO

This is a discussion on Perrin TMIC for 2009+ WRX - INSTALL INFO within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just thought I would share some info that doesn't seem to really be out there already. I picked up a ...

Perrin TMIC for 2009+ WRX - INSTALL INFO

Just thought I would share some info that doesn't seem to really be out there already.

I picked up a used Perrin TMIC for my 2012 WRX and installed it yesterday. I would have installed it the day before that, but I ran into a problem.

I looked up a few threads about installing the Perrin TMIC and the most common issues I found were fitment related to the intercooler making contact with the slave cylinder and such. So I paid special attention to how I lined it up and made sure it wasn't making contact with anything.

I had everything lined up and everything bolted back in place except the final two bolts that attach the TMIC to the compressor housing of the turbo...I went to bolt that up, and the bolts were too short. I sent a quick text to a buddy of mine who has the "same" Perrin TMIC on his car and he said he used the stock bolts....hmmmm. I texted another guy with a Perrin TMIC on his WRX and he said he used the stock bolts too. Now I'm just dumbfounded.

I did some more searching and came across an old thread regarding fitment of a Perrin TMIC on a 2011 WRX. The OP was complaining about the same types of fitment issues others were having, with the slave cylinder bolt getting in the way. After a couple of pages, a Perrin representative got in the mix and stated that they were making a spacer to bring the intercooler core up higher off the engine so there wouldn't be any contact with the slave cylinder. That solved the OP's issues, and several other people benefited from this spacer.

Then I got to thinking about it, and wondered if the intercooler I had was a newer version that was designed to sit up higher the way a spacer would make it do. So, I emailed Perrin and got a quick response back confirming this. The newer version of their TMIC for 09+ WRX has the spacer built into it, creating a need for longer bolts to mate the intercooler to turbo compressor housing flange. When you buy the TMIC new, from Perrin or another vendor, it comes with the longer bolts. When you get it used, like I did, I suppose sometimes you don't get the bolts, lol. Perrin was kind enough to mail the correct bolts out to me, and I'm very happy with the intercooler and the customer service provided.

Just thought I would put that out there in case anyone else happens to come across a used Perrin TMIC and they didn't get the longer bolts with it. Figured it might be helpful to know that Perrin did change the design of the intercooler for better fitment on 09+ WRX.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The left side of the intercooler is the part that has been made thicker.

Sent from my Batphone using Tapatalk
    2015 STi Launch Edition - Stock and awesome
    2013 DCP FXT - TP Stage 2 - Perrin dp - STi catback - 2011 WRX wheels