i have this - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on i have this within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by bushwickbill I dont need a Catted dp as I already have a cat back exhaust? Am I ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
    I dont need a Catted dp as I already have a cat back exhaust? Am I correct in thinking this.

Best Deals on Tsudo 08-12 Impreza WRX / STI Wagon 3in S2 catback exhaust

There is the link again for anyone who missed it to the exhaust I already have.
    cat back exhaust goes from the "cat back." If you don't have a cat on your downpipe then you will be cat less.

Exhaust FAQ <---read through this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A catback exhaust only has the muffler and a resonator if your system was built with one. The cat even on the stock system is located on the downpipe. If you want the exhaust to be on the "quieter" side, get something catted. If you're worried about emissions come inspection time, for what it's worth I've taken my car through NJ inspection and passed with a catless downpipe. Hope this helps.

(Face Palm smack) DOH!!
    I didnt know there was two cats. Call me a noob, I know, This is my first subi.
    I just had my car inspected so I dont really need to worry about emisions, or do I? There any other factors to consider when going cattless dp or catted dp?

catless can be more likely to cause boost creep problems, it smells, you negate someone driving a prius, you won't pass emissions if they check for cats or do anything that you'd need a cat to pass

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WREXXY View Post
    catless can be more likely to cause boost creep problems, it smells, you negate someone driving a prius, you won't pass emissions if they check for cats or do anything that you'd need a cat to pass
    And if you go catless you pretty much have to get a protune. There are not off the shelf maps for a catless downpipe.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    And if you go catless you pretty much have to get a protune. There are not off the shelf maps for a catless downpipe.
    This isn't true. A cobb AP has an OTS map for stage 2. However, just as someone mentioned a few posts up, you may run into boost creep problems running catless. This can be fixed with getting a protune which can be put on an accessport. You can get away with running an OTS map until you get the dough to get a protune. Depending on where you reside, you may run into emission problems with a catless dp.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rpetroniSTI View Post
    This isn't true. A cobb AP has an OTS map for stage 2. However, just as someone mentioned a few posts up, you may run into boost creep problems running catless. This can be fixed with getting a protune which can be put on an accessport. You can get away with running an OTS map until you get the dough to get a protune. Depending on where you reside, you may run into emission problems with a catless dp.
    COBB maps are not designed for catless downpipes. I don't care what someone up above said about boost creep. Also, boost creep has nothing to do with your tune. Creep results from the wastegate not being able to bypass enough exhaust gasses to properly control turbine speed.

Maybe some of my choice words were a little off. Running catless with an OTS map you could experience an "over boost" issue by a few psi. I think it's safe to say anything >19 psi you would be fine. All I was saying is that the OP could run an OTS map for the time being until they have the cash for a protune. These cobb maps run a little on the rich side... MUCH better than running lean. A tuner has the capability to "tune out" some of those boost issues you may have running a catless dp. Maybe not entirely, but to a point where it's mostly controlled. These are just "options" for the OP to take. Given the fact that they may not want to spend big money on an exhaust system, maybe they could purchase a used AP from another member and run an OTS map. No big deal. Saying they basically "have to" get a protune is simply not true.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rpetroniSTI View Post
    Maybe some of my choice words were a little off. Running catless with an OTS map you could experience an "over boost" issue by a few psi. I think it's safe to say anything >19 psi you would be fine. All I was saying is that the OP could run an OTS map for the time being until they have the cash for a protune. These cobb maps run a little on the rich side... MUCH better than running lean. A tuner has the capability to "tune out" some of those boost issues you may have running a catless dp. Maybe not entirely, but to a point where it's mostly controlled. These are just "options" for the OP to take. Given the fact that they may not want to spend big money on an exhaust system, maybe they could purchase a used AP from another member and run an OTS map. No big deal. Saying they basically "have to" get a protune is simply not true.
    I suppose you don't "have to," but you definitely should. I would never ever recommend someone run a off the shelf map without following the map notes to a t. Doing so is asking for issues. One could argue you don't "need" to properly tune for anything. If you care about the longevity of your car you should not skip corners on stuff like this. If you don't have the money to properly tune for a modification you shouldn't be doing the modification.

I will agree with you there. You should be properly tuned to get the most out of what you're doing. An OTS map should be considered a temporary solution for EM until a protune.

** The Stage2 maps were developed using a COBB Tuning turbo-back exhaust system with a high-flow catalytic converter. An equivalent turbo-back exhaust system could also be used. If a lesser flowing turbo-back exhaust system is used then boost targets may not be achievable. These maps are NOT designed to be used with an aftermarket race downpipe that does not have a catalytic converter (i.e. catless). Doing so greatly increases the chance for boost spikes and boost creep
    From Cobb's website.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12