Electric Cutout question?

This is a discussion on Electric Cutout question? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I may be posting this in the wrong section(Im new here) But i have an 03 wrx with 3" full ...

Unhappy Electric Cutout question?

I may be posting this in the wrong section(Im new here) But i have an 03 wrx with 3" full turboback exhaust. But my friend is selling me a 2.5" cutout for me. for a bangin deal.

My question is, can i use a 2.5 cutout on a 3 inch exhaust? i know ill have to get new piping to make it fit like a 3"-2.5"..... CUTOUT... 2.5"-3" To make it fit.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What I know of electronically operated cutouts is they always leak, and the motors fail repeatedly..

well i really like the sound of an e cutout, i just wanted to get any kind of cutout it doesent have to be electric. What do you mean motors fail?

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by HaydenBrutal View Post
    well i really like the sound of an e cutout, i just wanted to get any kind of cutout it doesent have to be electric. What do you mean motors fail?
    Electric cut outs use a motor to open and close the cut out. He's saying they fail often which is what I've heard as well.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by HaydenBrutal View Post

The motor quits working.. either the cutout is closed and you can't open it, or it's open and you can't close it. I always hear of people replacing the motor, only to have it fail again in three months.

You can get a 3" manual cutout from Summit Racing for $30 (cost me $20 to have it welded in at a muffler shop). I've had one for years and never had a problem with it.