Just went stage 2 w/ **pics**
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just went stage 2 w/ **pics** within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was previously at Stage 1 + SF Intake and that was fun hearing the whoosh sound and hearing air ...

Just went stage 2 w/ **pics**

I was previously at Stage 1 + SF Intake and that was fun hearing the whoosh sound and hearing air getting through the intake. Decided to up my game a little more and ordered an Invidia Catted Downpipe from Fast Tuning Products. I also have a Invidia Q300, so they paired up great! Noise output is MUCH MUCH louder and deeper (maybe a placebo). Im boosting a little earlier compared to stage 1. Id say around 500 rpms sooner than before. I didnt have time to data log yet but I was able to live monitor Boost and Fine Knock just to see if I'm over boosting or if there were any leaks. Im on the standard wastegate Stage 2 + SF map with my boost at 18.4 psi. No numbers coming back on Fine Knock but Target boost is suppose to be 16.5 psi +/- 1. Am i overboosting? I tried to switch to the LWG map but im having trouble timing the "turn on ignition and press ok immediately" direction.

Other then those issues, I found the installation to be a ROYAL PITA! I love working on cars in general and would consider myself knowledgable when it comes to being a mechanic. Read a few DIY's and watched a few videos. It was simple enough, but when you actually under your car or above it, those bolts just dont budge!!!! The angles of the bolts were awkward and I had to remove the TMIC to get better leverage to some bolts.

Overall time for installation took 2 days.... I spent yesterday dealing with 1 bolt that decided to seize up on the last few threads when removing!!! Then another 6 hours today removing and putting all the pieces of the puzzle back! I took longer than any guide estimated time for time of labor lol, but i just had to make sure nothing went wrong or i was missing steps. That was probably just my ocd. Anyways, here are some pictures of the labor and parts!

Invidia Catted Downpipe Divorced Wastegate with extra O2 Bung

Comparison between Invidia and stock

The bolt that t'd me off! The other bolt came off in less than a minute with a breaker bar. I dont know why this one decided to act up.

Finally in!

Last step

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

To my knowledge stage 2 target is more like 18.5 or more. I target 19.5 in lower rpms ranges. Have same setup minus catback. Cobb intake + invidia catted DP, also from fast tuning craig is a cool dude. LOG you will see for yourself.
    Also I have no idea what your talking about when you say turn on ignition and press ok immediately, you flash LWG the same as you would flash any other map. Check what map you are running and see if it is the correct one you want it to be.

I Support ClubWRX
    Try LWG map if you're hitting 2PSI over their target.

You don't "start" the vehicle before flashing. You turn the ignition to "ON" where all the lights and stuff come on, and you hear your fuel pump prime. The car should not be running when you try to flash the car.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I was able to re flash to lwg map I'll log in a day or so

Your boost looks right 16.5 is stage 1 18 is stage 2 boost +\- .5 psi. That's well in he threshold of the stage 2 tune.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by georgia-wrx View Post
    Your boost looks right 16.5 is stage 1 18 is stage 2 boost +\- .5 psi. That's well in he threshold of the stage 2 tune.
    18.4 PSI is NOT within the threshold of the S2+SF mapping on 91ACN fuel...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Sorry I missed what tune he was running. That is correct way too much boost for 91ACN. My bad look good if it was just 93 stage 2.
    I based my info on this info in his first post:

Im on the standard wastegate Stage 2 + SF map with my boost at 18.4 psi. No numbers coming back on Fine Knock but Target boost is suppose to be 16.5 psi +/- 1. Am i overboosting?

I called cobb and they said the stage 2 +sf ots map target boost is correct at 16.5 psi.

My thought was that since my boost was at 16.5 psi at stage 1, it should have increased at stage 2.

Cobb said that they would usually custom tune my setup around 18psi.

What's the downside if I didn't switch to a lwg map and left my boost around 18psi?

Still overboosting at 18.4 psi. Im on a the lwg map. Going to reflash to the SLWG map in the morning. Can you guys take a look at my log and tell me what u see?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5Fs...it?usp=sharing

Update: re flashed to the slwg map and ended up under boosting at 14.6psi.

Deleted old lwg map on access port and downloaded another one. Re flashed to lwg map and all numbers are perfect. Hitting 16.5 psi and tapering down to 12.5 psi around 7000rpm.

What's up I just got a 2013 wrx I love it but definitely want to go stage 2,I wanted to know from ur experience it's it worth the headaches and does the cobb ap void ur warranty...

Quote Originally Posted by Wrxfarley View Post
    What's up I just got a 2013 wrx I love it but definitely want to go stage 2,I wanted to know from ur experience it's it worth the headaches and does the cobb ap void ur warranty...
    he just flashed stage 2, so i doubt he can give you a long term opinion like it sounds your looking for.

unless you have the car paid off, or have the $$ to pay for unexpected repairs then i'd caution against it. regardless of how 'safe' any tune is, you still "pay to play".

there is a WEALTH of information about the cobb ap, modding, and how it relates to warranty issues. as other people will say nothing will "void" your warranty. however, MANY things WILL cause Subaru to "Deny" your warranty claim. Cobb has admitted that Subaru can tell if you use their product on your car, and in my opinion it'd be morally wrong for them to design the AP so that Subaru couldn't tell that you had done anything to the ecu. Opensource is the same thing, subaru can tell.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that if you go stage 1,2,etc and your windshield wipers stop working they can deny your warranty claim. they have to be able to prove that something you did caused a failure. but if they know you flashed stage 2 and you come in with a slipping clutch, stripped gear, or engine problems. they're probably going to point the finger at you (and it will probably be your fault). even if it is not your fault, your guna have two options... go to court over it, which i'm sure subaru has more time, money, and legal expertise then you can get. Or just pay for them to fix it.

the other issue is that you're going to have to be wary about whether or not they reflash your car's ecu for one reason or another while at the dealership. you don't want to be running an intake and DP thinking your stage 2 but your really running a stock tune.

food for thought.

OP, a couple quick questions, hopefully you can help. I am planning on getting the exact same TBE setup for my wrx at tax time. First off, this downpipe comes with an extra bung for a wideband o2 sensor. After I install the DP I dont plan on using that extra bung for some time. In the description it says that it comes with a plug for that bung installed. What is the quality of that? (i.e. exhaust leaks? poorly made?) And my second question, I have read that on these invidia downpipes that the extra bung for the wb02 sensor is to shallow, not allowing many of the sensors that come with gauges to fit in properly. Have you installed a wideband sensor yet? any fitment issues or so fourth?

Thanks in advance. Want to rule out these couple of things before I buy the DP with the extra bung. Bc if what I have read is true, I think it may be better to order the DP without it and just fabricate in a new bung for said sensor in the future when needed. BTW, car looks awesome!!!
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    OP, a couple quick questions, hopefully you can help. I am planning on getting the exact same TBE setup for my wrx at tax time. First off, this downpipe comes with an extra bung for a wideband o2 sensor. After I install the DP I dont plan on using that extra bung for some time. In the description it says that it comes with a plug for that bung installed. What is the quality of that? (i.e. exhaust leaks? poorly made?) And my second question, I have read that on these invidia downpipes that the extra bung for the wb02 sensor is to shallow, not allowing many of the sensors that come with gauges to fit in properly. Have you installed a wideband sensor yet? any fitment issues or so fourth?

Thanks in advance. Want to rule out these couple of things before I buy the DP with the extra bung. Bc if what I have read is true, I think it may be better to order the DP without it and just fabricate in a new bung for said sensor in the future when needed. BTW, car looks awesome!!!
    The plug for the extra o2 bung is solid. You can see it in the pictures above. There's no leaks and its quality steel. Invidia makes quality products. Im not sure what u mean by the bung being too shallow? I haven't installed a wbo2 sensor yet. No fitment issues at all. Bolted right up to the q300 and fitted like a glove.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrxfarley View Post
    Stage 2 is fun! It's like night and day. You'll find many topics discussing the differences from a stock map vs stage 2. Im a diy person so the headache was worth it. It's more of a learning experience for me and I find joy out of that. Hope u find your answers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast