CNT Quad-tipped CBE good alternative to Q300?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on CNT Quad-tipped CBE good alternative to Q300? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Still searching for the right CBE, and came across this guy from CNT: CNT 08-11 Subaru STI Catback Exhaust system ...

CNT Quad-tipped CBE good alternative to Q300?

Still searching for the right CBE, and came across this guy from CNT:

CNT 08-11 Subaru STI Catback Exhaust system 5 Door wagon only (with Blue / purple tips)

I have a boner for the blued quad-tips, which is why I liked the Q300 and ARK GriP so much, but those are $850 and $1450 respectively, and the Invidia has way too many reports of bad drone. This exhaust gives you the nice look of the Q300 with what seems like a good sound and the limited reviews I've found do not say it drones much like the Q300. Seems like a quality T-304 CBE, and for less than $600 shipped, a great buy. Any feedback on these, or reason why I shouldn't order one tonight? I tried to search these forums for write ups on this exhaust but ound none. Anyone have experience with CNT? Thanks!

Here is a thread on iwsti.com about this exhaust; the second to last poston the linked page has a ton of pics. Check it out; looks to be a quality piece. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-exhau...xhaust-33.html
    Last edited by Zitro; 09-18-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Also interested in hearing and personal feedback/reviews. I've been researching quite a bit and like what I've seen/heard so far about this exhaust- especially for the price.

Here's one of the only reviews I was able to find: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ht=obx+exhaust

A link to another thread; this guy with unabashedly good tastes has the same hatch and color as I, so this is exactly how the exhaust would look on my car. I think it looks great!

CNT catback exhaust review!!

Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

I Support ClubWRX
    CNT uses lesser quality materials (sound quality) and less R&D (fitment). Either of those can cause you an issue. Your money. Just be sure you hear the exhaust in-person, which includes seat time in the vehicle before purchasing so you really know what you're getting.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    CNT uses lesser quality materials (sound quality) and less R&D (fitment). Either of those can cause you an issue. Your money. Just be sure you hear the exhaust in-person, which includes seat time in the vehicle before purchasing so you really know what you're getting.
    I agree, I just doubt I'll find another Rex around here with this exhaust. Have experience (or know anyone who does) with this CNT? I'd just go straight for the Q300 if there weren't so many awful drone stories. I'm still trying to meet people up here too, as I've only been in Washington a few months, so I haven't met many enthusiasts yet to hear different systems in person

I Support ClubWRX
    Turboxs and Perrin are also good catbacks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zitro
    Have experience (or know anyone who does) with this CNT?
    My feelings on the exhaust will have no impact on how you feel about it. Unfortunately, to make a proper educated decision, you have to hear it in-person.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Doesn't seem to be too many reviews on this bad boy:
    Perrin Cat Back Exhaust Subaru WRX Hatchback 2011-2013 / STI Hatchback 2008-2013 PSP-EXT-345BR at RallySportDirect.com

The Perrin doesn't look exceptionally sexy, but it sounds great from what I can tell. And Perrin is obviously a well-known name. This may be a candidate as well, to offer excellent sound without the drone, and a few hundred dollars less than the Greddy or ARK CBE's.

2013 WRX STI Perrin Quad Tips Catback Exhaust - YouTube

PERRIN_2011sedanexhaust.mov - YouTube

I just had the perrin installed on my wrx. Check my other thread about it if youre curious.

I think it looks great but also wont attract cops and some drone is def there but manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    I just had the perrin installed on my wrx. Check my other thread about it if youre curious.

I think it looks great but also wont attract cops and some drone is def there but manageable.
    What changed your opinion on drone? In the thread you said it had no highway drone. I guess excitement makes you not notice these things So you decided on the CBE and not just the axleback?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    What changed your opinion on drone? In the thread you said it had no highway drone. I guess excitement makes you not notice these things So you decided on the CBE and not just the axleback?
    Going with a louder exhaust on a hatch, it is going to be hard to not get drone due to the nature of the layout of the interior. I know you know this, but if you are wanting a loud exhaust, a certain level of drone will need to be accepted (unless of course you are willing to customize your exhaust...Remember that drone is a resonating sound, cause by many factors. When you have a welded exhaust and add vibration it will ring at a certain rpm, which is heard more through an open cabin. Any system has a natural frequency, and stock systems are designed to put the resonance outside the typical RPM range the engine will be operating.)
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 09-20-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Yeah, the excitement coupled with all the windows down and just enjoying hearing the car made it hard for me to evaluate accurately. I just took a long road trip and there IS drone.

I've found that it does help me shift better but the exhaust tone is pretty loud inside the car when it's all closed up. However, just popping my sunroof helps drown it out. That, and I have an aftermarket audio system with a sub to help too.

Basically the jury is still in session. I love it for short trips so far, to and from work is fantastic, but my recent 4 hour drive was getting to be a bit much.

Damn, it sounds and looks awesome, though, I think that point is going to eventually outweigh the negatives of having a louder interior.
    Last edited by degobah77; 09-21-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Corsa just officially released their new exhaust line for GR WRX/STI's. Pricing seems similar to the ARK you mentioned.
    They did an amazing job making an exhaust that is loud outside and has virtually no drone inside.

I was lucky enough to get the sedan exhaust before official release, and it is a night and day difference compared to the SPT I had before. Best sounding Subaru exhaust I've heard so far. I absolutely love it.

http://www.facebook.com/corsaperf
    Last edited by SomeGoalie; 09-21-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Going with a louder exhaust on a hatch, it is going to be hard to not get drone due to the nature of the layout of the interior. I know you know this, but if you are wanting a loud exhaust, a certain level of drone will need to be accepted (unless of course you are willing to customize your exhaust...Remember that drone is a resonating sound, cause by many factors. When you have a welded exhaust and add vibration it will ring at a certain rpm, which is heard more through an open cabin. Any system has a natural frequency, and stock systems are designed to put the resonance outside the typical RPM range the engine will be operating.)
    Very good points. This is why I was initially looking at the ARK GRiP with the Helmholtz resonators. I honestly don't want something overly loud (No N1 here), I just want a nice tone and limited drone, while being a bit louder than stock; the WRX is just too quiet for my tastes in stock form. A car with this much go should sound the part.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGoalie View Post
    Corsa just officially released their new exhaust line for GR WRX/STI's. Pricing seems similar to the ARK you mentioned.
    They did an amazing job making an exhaust that is loud outside and has virtually no drone inside.

I was lucky enough to get the sedan exhaust before official release, and it is a night and day difference compared to the SPT I had before. Best sounding Subaru exhaust I've heard so far. I absolutely love it.

http://www.facebook.com/corsaperf
    Interesting prospect. I'm at work now and Facebook is blocked lol, but I did go to Corsa's page and check it out. Seems interesting; I thought they only worked with domestics. I'll have to check out sound clips later. Thanks for the heads up. You should write a review thread with your own sound clips!

I plan to do a review when I get some extra time, trying to decide what to use for sound clips, not sure how it will sound if I use my phone. They have videos of the hatch and sedan on their Facebook page. I do know the sedan had a catless downpipe, so my car is a bit quieter.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast