CNT Quad-tipped CBE good alternative to Q300? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on CNT Quad-tipped CBE good alternative to Q300? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by aladeen I've been eyeballing the Turboxs for a while now. I need to replace my damaged SPT. ...

Quote Originally Posted by aladeen View Post
    I've been eyeballing the Turboxs for a while now. I need to replace my damaged SPT. When I was looking a couple months ago I saw them going for the mid $500's on ebay. Can't seem to find them again for that price... If you were able to find it in that price range it would certainly be worth the extra $100 over the CNT.

Pretty cool that Corsa is doing a Subi exhaust. I had a co-worker with a Corsa cat back on his LS2 Vette and it sounded sooo different. Very exotic.
    We got to see their (Corsa's) own Vette at the meet they held for us. Thing sounds mean as hell.

Their Subie exhaust also sounds unlike any other I've personally heard. It actually kind of sounds like it's growling.

Makes some sense now that I've been to their HQ, they have a guy whose job is "Acoustic Design Engineer" or something along those lines. Their R&D seems to primarily focus on removing the frequencies that cause the droning. They're all friendly and helpful too, and local here in Cleveland.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm really considering ordering this CNT exhaust. I refuse to pay $900+ for a cat back exhaust. That's just crazy in my opinion.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianVall
    I'm really considering ordering this CNT exhaust. I refuse to pay $900+ for a cat back exhaust. That's just crazy in my opinion.
    Buy used, then.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGoalie View Post
    Whatever the OP chooses to do, I'd recommend getting a ride in a car with an exhaust before purchasing. Saving money on something you end up disliking will usually put you further back in the long run if you decide to replace it.
    I WISH I could do this. The exhausts I'm interested in don't seem to be terribly common unfortunately. The Corsa is definitely a bit more than I want to spend. I put a cap for myself of $1100. I found an excellent deal on the ARK GRiP for $1050 shipped (I'd need to act very soon on it though). Perrin is in that range and I love the sound, but reviews seem to have a consensus of highway drone. COBB just looks a bit plain to me. I haven't had a chance to hear the Nameless CBE yet, and for how I'd want it (staggered 4" double-wall tips) would be over $1200. Invidia universally has drone issues. TurboXS is on backorder. Magnaflow is subdued. CNT seems to have really good reviews actually and is a helluva bargain at $550 shipped for their quad-tip, but I'm concerned about the low price.

So we're really down to ARK, Nameless (I've still heard drone issues with them on the hatch)and CNT. Tone and drone-wise, the ARK is my favorite. However, I don't like how the y-pipe is actually a "T" so the driver's side muffler does not have equal flow. Maybe it's a non-issue, but it just seems like a poor design. Then the ARK's spotty quality control and customer service is making me hesitate.

Honestly, if Greddy wouldn't have discontinued the SP ELite for the GR hatch, I don't think I'd be debating anything. I love the sound and look of that exhaust immensely. But I can't find another CBE for my car that's an obvious home-run; all seem to have a couple question marks.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

I Support ClubWRX
    Have you contacted any of the vendors on this site for quotes? Those prices you are listing seem pretty high to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Have you contacted any of the vendors on this site for quotes? Those prices you are listing seem pretty high to me.
    The ARK is actually listed on sale for $1440 on ARK's website, and the cheapest I've found it through most vendors is $1250, outside of one vendor I found selling it for $1050. MSRP is $1600. The Nameless price I got straight from their website. CBE's for Nameless start at $899; axlebacks are cheaper but I plan on going full stage 2 down the road so I'd rather just already have the midpipe. CNT is on sale right now and can be had for $450 shipped with a promo code I have.

Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

I know TurboXS had a CBE that you could only use with their own downpipe, and one that could be used with stock. I think this one is NOT part of the stealth kit so it can be used with any DP; can anyone confirm this for my n00b self?

TurboXS STI08-CBE 2008-2012 WRX STi GT Catback Exhaust: NLM

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    The ARK is actually listed on sale for $1440 on ARK's website, and the cheapest I've found it through most vendors is $1250, outside of one vendor I found selling it for $1050. MSRP is $1600. The Nameless price I got straight from their website. CBE's for Nameless start at $899; axlebacks are cheaper but I plan on going full stage 2 down the road so I'd rather just already have the midpipe. CNT is on sale right now and can be had for $450 shipped with a promo code I have.
    Wow I would not pay $1400 for a catback exhaust no matter how nice the quality was. That is just crazy, because you can get really nice ones for much less than that. I know that you have a hatch and I have a sedan, but just to give you an idea, I got a full turbo back exhaust (catted downpipe) from Turboxs for about $1100 (can remember the exact figure), and they threw in free perrin exhaust hangers.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    I know TurboXS had a CBE that you could only use with their own downpipe, and one that could be used with stock. I think this one is NOT part of the stealth kit so it can be used with any DP; can anyone confirm this for my n00b self?

TurboXS STI08-CBE 2008-2012 WRX STi GT Catback Exhaust: NLM
    I would contact Turboxs and ask them. If you are going full turbo back eventually then why not just go now? You can get a much better deal buying them together. Also, contact fast tuning products on this site and ask them for a quote...

Not sure what you mean by the stealth system kit question. The turboxs stealth back system is just a downpipe, which can be matched to a 3 inch cat back exhaust. They call it a stealth back because it doesn't really increase the sound (that much). I think to connect to stock you would need an adapter (but you would be decreasing flow, thus reducing the effect of the high flow DP).

As Matty mentioned, you can get good deals on exhausts if you buy them used. They might not be as shiny, but yours won't be after about a month anyway!

FYI, the Perrin highway drone went away completely after about 1,000 miles on the exhaust. Sounds awesome to me. People turn and look, but the cops don't

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Buy used, then.
    I would if I could find something I want.

Ok, I'll give you some info based on what I know...

I have a '12 WRB hatch, just like yours.

My buddy has an '11 WRB hatch.

I thought about getting the CNT cat back...in fact, if it had been in stock when I was looking, I would have bought it.

My buddy let me ride in his car with the CNT cat back...I was very underwhelmed. My wife even said she didn't like it. Plus, I noticed quite a bit of drone, but the exhaust didn't really project outside the car as much as I thought it would. Translation: too loud inside and too quiet outside.

I can also say that I have heard the Perrin catback on a hatch around here, and I thought it was more high pitched than the Q300, and a bit raspy. I didn't really like it.
    I have also heard the Nameless 5" muffler system on a sedan, and I thought it sounded ok. Not really anything different, just good but not great. Plus, there was drone for sure.

I was able to scoop up a used Q300 with the burnt tips for my hatch recently. With the stock down pipe, the Q300 catback was ALMOST too quiet with absolutely ZERO drone. I, my wife, and my mother in law (who is in her mid 40's) took a 4 hour road trip in it and noted afterward how tame it sounded. Outside the car, though, it had a nice low rumble to it and sounded great at WOT.

Then I put a catless downpipe on...when I went WOT the first time, I thought there was an alien Sasquatch dinosaur chasing me or that the apocalypse had come. LOUD doesn't describe it. It sounded amazing, I couldn't get over how incredible it sounded...except that there was some noticeable drone, and it was a bit TOO loud, actually for daily driving.

So, I had a cat welded in and I am now extremely pleased with my exhaust. It sounds perfect. Nice tame subie rumble at idle or normal driving, awesome low growl in mid range aggressive driving, and angry roar at WOT. I don't notice any drone, my wife doesn't either, and my mother in law says it sounds, "nice."

Here is a video I recorded using a $2,000 microphone (the same mic they use on the set of Breaking Bad) to give you an extremely accurate depiction of what it sounds like on my car. Use quality headphones or some nice studio speakers, and this will be as close as you can get to what it really sounds like without actually standing next to my car.

And for reference, here's a pic of the exhaust on my car.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRX_Rear_8-22-13.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	117153
    Last edited by XTi24; 09-30-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Also, it looks like from some other posts you've made that you have heard the Cobb and Perrin don't have a drone issue...I have heard the exact opposite. Several people I know have sold the Cobb system to get something else because the Cobb droned too much. Same with Perrin.

I'm not trying to sell you on the Q300, but I looked at and considered literally EVERY exhaust system ever made for these cars before deciding I wanted Q300. I drove over an hour just to hear a guy's exhaust in person. The guy thought I was nuts, but I'm just not gonna spend $800+ on an exhaust just to turn around and sell it for something else because I don't like it.

I could not be any happier with the Invidia system. Everybody is different, but I love the deep low rumble on this exhaust and I don't experience any drone...even with a downpipe.

If you are going for something a bit tame, then the Q300 is definitely tame with the stock downpipe. In fact, my only gripe with it now is that I kinda miss the way it sounded so freakin beast when I was catless. But, full beast mode came with some drone, so I'm definitely happier with the way it is now.

My Perrin droned for about 1,000 miles then went away altogether. A tuner shop did my installation and I also used a GrimmSpeed OEM Downpipe to 3in Cat Back Adapter, so maybe that makes a difference in the end results as well. It's a couple notches louder than stock (not 'melonshooter' or 'please pull me over' loud by any means), but has a very low and deep menacing growl that sounds really nice at WOT. And again, zero drone after burn-in.

I'd assert, with my limited experience and knowledge, that the same exhaust can sound a bit different depending on how well it was installed and what connectors were used.
    Last edited by degobah77; 10-02-2013 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XTi24 View Post
    Ok, I'll give you some info based on what I know...

I have a '12 WRB hatch, just like yours.

My buddy has an '11 WRB hatch.

I thought about getting the CNT cat back...in fact, if it had been in stock when I was looking, I would have bought it.

My buddy let me ride in his car with the CNT cat back...I was very underwhelmed. My wife even said she didn't like it. Plus, I noticed quite a bit of drone, but the exhaust didn't really project outside the car as much as I thought it would. Translation: too loud inside and too quiet outside.

I can also say that I have heard the Perrin catback on a hatch around here, and I thought it was more high pitched than the Q300, and a bit raspy. I didn't really like it.
    I have also heard the Nameless 5" muffler system on a sedan, and I thought it sounded ok. Not really anything different, just good but not great. Plus, there was drone for sure.

I was able to scoop up a used Q300 with the burnt tips for my hatch recently. With the stock down pipe, the Q300 catback was ALMOST too quiet with absolutely ZERO drone. I, my wife, and my mother in law (who is in her mid 40's) took a 4 hour road trip in it and noted afterward how tame it sounded. Outside the car, though, it had a nice low rumble to it and sounded great at WOT.

Then I put a catless downpipe on...when I went WOT the first time, I thought there was an alien Sasquatch dinosaur chasing me or that the apocalypse had come. LOUD doesn't describe it. It sounded amazing, I couldn't get over how incredible it sounded...except that there was some noticeable drone, and it was a bit TOO loud, actually for daily driving.

So, I had a cat welded in and I am now extremely pleased with my exhaust. It sounds perfect. Nice tame subie rumble at idle or normal driving, awesome low growl in mid range aggressive driving, and angry roar at WOT. I don't notice any drone, my wife doesn't either, and my mother in law says it sounds, "nice."

Here is a video I recorded using a $2,000 microphone (the same mic they use on the set of Breaking Bad) to give you an extremely accurate depiction of what it sounds like on my car. Use quality headphones or some nice studio speakers, and this will be as close as you can get to what it really sounds like without actually standing next to my car.

And for reference, here's a pic of the exhaust on my car.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRX_Rear_8-22-13.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	117153
    Thanks for the write-up! I hadn't given the Q300 much thought because I have heard so many reports of drone. It's a good looking exhaust and obviously a popular choice. I was also concerned it woudl be a bit too quiet since I will be keeping the stock dp for a while for warranty purposes. Don't think I want to toss it quite yet. Maybe I should revisit the Q300...I had narrowed it down to the Nameless with 5" mufflers and TurboXS for the reasons stated above. I just haven't been able to hear either in person yet...but I'm in the same boat as you; I don't want to spend $600-1000 on an exhaust that I won't like the sound of.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast