CNT Quad-tipped CBE good alternative to Q300? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on CNT Quad-tipped CBE good alternative to Q300? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; There must be a break-in period with the Perrin? I had it installed last Wednesday and it was LOUD. I ...

There must be a break-in period with the Perrin? I had it installed last Wednesday and it was LOUD. I put a hundred miles on the car between then and Friday, then I took a 4 hour trip up north - near the end I was getting mildly annoyed. I put a couple hundred more miles on it up there, then I just traveled back 4 hours today and there was a pretty big difference. I didn't notice the drone at all. In fact, cruising between 75-80mph, it sounded a bit like the stock exhaust - as in, nothing.

Exhausts must need some burn-in, I guess. This bad boy is a keeper.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the ARK GRiP....I want to make my decision and place an order today. I hope I don't regret this. Only two things worrying me is the unequal exhaust flow )"y-pipe" is more like a "T" so exhaust flows mostly out of only the passengers side) and that the ground clearance is reduced because the mufflers hang so low, although I'll never lower this car so I may not need to worry about it.

I decided I wanted a quad-tip for sure, so it was down to the Perrin, ARK or save money and go CNT or TurboXS, but if I'm gonna spend $600+ on some freaking steel pipes, I might as well get what I want and not rotate through several exhausts trying to save money and end up spending more in the long run. At least that's the punitive attempt at justification I'm trying to use haha.
    Last edited by Zitro; 09-27-2013 at 10:21 AM.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Been slacking, but here are the Corsa CBE pics. I got the Black "Pro Series" Tips, they also come in a polished finish. There's an upcharge for the black tips but I am in the process of removing the bright and shiny stuff from my car.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGoalie View Post
    Been slacking, but here are the Corsa CBE pics. I got the Black "Pro Series" Tips, they also come in a polished finish. There's an upcharge for the black tips but I am in the process of removing the bright and shiny stuff from my car.

Very, very nice. I can't seem to find pricing anywhere...I'm going to assume a good bit north of $1000?

Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    Very, very nice. I can't seem to find pricing anywhere...I'm going to assume a good bit north of $1000?
    Yeah I can look and find the price, they posted it a while back in our local club's Facebook group. The hatch is slightly cheaper than sedan. I wanna say $1350 but I'll double check.

Think I found it. Looks like $1430 hatchback and $1527 sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    There must be a break-in period with the Perrin? I had it installed last Wednesday and it was LOUD. I put a hundred miles on the car between then and Friday, then I took a 4 hour trip up north - near the end I was getting mildly annoyed. I put a couple hundred more miles on it up there, then I just traveled back 4 hours today and there was a pretty big difference. I didn't notice the drone at all. In fact, cruising between 75-80mph, it sounded a bit like the stock exhaust - as in, nothing.

Exhausts must need some burn-in, I guess. This bad boy is a keeper.
    Are you still liking the Perrin quad-tip exhaust? I'm seriously considering this exhaust instead of the Q300. How was the fitment and installation? Did you use stock hangers or ?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGoalie View Post
    Think I found it. Looks like $1430 hatchback and $1527 sedan.
    It's a great exhaust man, but I'm not gonna lie, it's a bit over what I was looking to spend on a catback. I've got a couple other big things I'm looking to save up for in the near future. I honestly didn't want to spend more than a grand, but it's seeming like I need to to get what I want. I CAN spend over a grand, I was just hoping not to.

OP, in the end only YOU know what sounds/looks best to you. There are many reputible company's out there. I have decided on the invidia Q300 with the invidia catted downpipe for the spring. My friend has a 12 sti with the same TBE setup. Looks and sound are amazing. Its loud, but not so loud that it will annoy the neightbors IMO. I have only noticed droning ONE time in his car. And we were cruising about 70-75 on the interstate. However, the droning was minimal. I barely noticed it. I had invidia tbe on my old hawkeye. One of the BEST sounding exhausts on the market for our vehicles.

The corsa exhaust does look good. But spending upwards of 1500 dollars just for a catback is CRAZY! Just my .02. Like I said it all honestly depends on what you like. So good luck with your selection, hope it ends up being what you wanted!
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Turboxs and Perrin are also good catbacks.
    TurboXS seems to have a lot of great reviews, and at this price.....will this guy mate up to the stock DP? I don't plan on upgrading the dp and tuning until my warranty is up. If it will ( I know the older ones did not, and the stealth kit needs the TurboXS DP), this may be a great buy. Seems to sound good and a lot of positive reviews to back TurboXS's quality.

Turbo XS Cat Back Subaru STi Hatch 2008-2013 and WRX Hatch 2011-2013

The TurboXS is on backorder I have a promo code for a vendor of CNT that will get me this guy shipped for $451! I wonder if it's worth trying this out or waiting for the TurboXS to get back in stock?

CNT 08-12 Subaru STI Catback Exhaust system

Curious how these guys are selling an exhaust that's been discontinued for quite a while now...lol 2011-2013 Subaru WRX Hatch Greddy Exhaust Systems: JSC Speed

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    They're good like that lol. But seriously, JSC speed is a great company. Have you thought about buying used, asking around your local club. Then in the event that you don't like it you don't take the hit in depreciation, you might could resell it for a profit and get something else.

I've been eyeballing the Turboxs for a while now. I need to replace my damaged SPT. When I was looking a couple months ago I saw them going for the mid $500's on ebay. Can't seem to find them again for that price... If you were able to find it in that price range it would certainly be worth the extra $100 over the CNT.

Pretty cool that Corsa is doing a Subi exhaust. I had a co-worker with a Corsa cat back on his LS2 Vette and it sounded sooo different. Very exotic.
    -Alex- 2012 WRX 5dr / World Rally Blue / Stage 3+Stig
    I sell Subarus in the Denver area!

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    The corsa exhaust does look good. But spending upwards of 1500 dollars just for a catback is CRAZY! Just my .02. Like I said it all honestly depends on what you like. So good luck with your selection, hope it ends up being what you wanted!
    I can agree to a point, I never would have spent the $1100 or whatever the SPT retails for but it was on the car I wanted when I bought it. However, if I was willing to spend that much, I would have gone ahead and spent the extra on a catback with the extra time/materials/development invested in it to prevent the droning that every other system I've heard, has to some extent.

I honestly never noticed the SPT drone unless I had my back seats folded down, but after getting the Corsa I now realize how much vibration there really was before.

Corsa had a special event for our local Subie club and offered us a great deal and free install, so it was an easy decision for me. If I sell my SPT for a reasonable amount, it makes it even better.

Whatever the OP chooses to do, I'd recommend getting a ride in a car with an exhaust before purchasing. Saving money on something you end up disliking will usually put you further back in the long run if you decide to replace it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.