surprise? but what does it really mean?!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on surprise? but what does it really mean?! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just picked up my wrx hatch 2009 yesterday. and there a two surprises I didnt really expect. first is ...

Question surprise? but what does it really mean?!

I just picked up my wrx hatch 2009 yesterday. and there a two surprises I didnt really expect. first is a nice set of aftermarket deep gold einkel 5 spokes. I know what this mean, nice bonus.
    but the next was a 3 inch tsudo exaust all the way home
    I am a noob when it comes to tuning subies so to me this says yes it has more power, but its pretty loud which is something I am not a fan of. I prefer the deeper grunt then the former. my question is, is a tsudo exaust a good brand? and this car has 77000 Kms and dealship has no idea when that exaust went on so how long will it last?
    I am from the 1970 split bumber camaros were Your glasspacks really let everyone know you were there. but that was a different era forsure. I am all for this new bread of power but I need to start at grade one school to learn the basicis of who is good and what parts to avoid. now this has me asking some questions. how much more hp will this car have? if your wondering how can I not know it came with two extra things well I bought online at a dealership 8 hour drive away. they had just recieved it on trade and didnt have the full write up of the car or what it has. like a set of snow tires on stock wrx rims also were in the mixed bag of goodies. anyways, I really need some advice on how long this exaust should last and how to really tell if its past it prime and needs to be taken out?
    thanks for any and all help. if there is spelling issues its because I am posting this from my phone and its a real mutha f!#@$a to try and correct.
    Last edited by bushwickbill; 09-17-2013 at 07:21 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hete is a pic

sorry I posted the wrong name of the part. here is a pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CAM02037480949497.jpg  
    Last edited by bushwickbill; 09-19-2013 at 06:21 PM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't assume it has "more power" at all. If the 3" exhaust goes all the way to the turbo outlet, the car will need to be tuned. How is the car tuned?
    Last edited by zax; 09-17-2013 at 07:20 AM. Reason: fap
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I really Dont have any idea how it is tuned. I asked the dealership for any info and all they told me was it was a trade in. I did a carfax and it was bought and kept in ontario canada by one owner. I really am a rookie as to how its tuned. as I mentioned this is my first tuner. I am needing to learn the basics of how to "tune" a boxer turbo motor. so sorry I can't give you any info on how it was tuned.
    Last edited by bushwickbill; 09-18-2013 at 05:28 AM.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
    I teally Dont have any idea how it is tuned. I asked the dealship for any info and all they told me was it was a trade in. I did a carfax and it was bought and kept in ontario canada by one owner. I really am a rookie as to how its tuned. as I mentioned this is my first tuner. I am needing to learn the basics of how to "tune" a boxer turbo motor. so sorry I can't give you any info on how it was tuned.
    What do you mean your first "tuner?"

Sounds like you bought a modified car with no understanding of what's modified. Certainly not ideal.

Facebook me here

--Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Like Zax said, determine if the exhaust goes all the way to the turbo outlet first. If it does, you will need to get it tuned or verify that it has been tuned. If it is just a catback exhaust, you don;t need to worry about it.

Click here to learn about exhaust: (by the way, exhaust don't wear out like glasspacks). They'll last for years until they start corroding and rusting just like any other exhaust muffler system on a car.
    Exhaust FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

Click here for a crash course in tuning:
    Engine Management FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

There are different ways to tune:
    1. Go to a shop and get a road tune
    2. go to a shop and get a dyno tune followed by a road "touch-up" tune
    3. e-mail tune (Many shops offer this option if you live far away or can't afford a dyno tune).
    4. "Off The Shelf" maps (i.e. Cobb and Torqued Performance)

Two most popular tuning methods:
    Accessport
    https://www.tactrix.com/

I'll just leave you there so you can read up. But first find out if your exhaust is just a "catback" or if it is a "turboback."

I Support ClubWRX
    Take a picture of your engine bay from a few different angles and post them here.

yes I need to read up and have a better look at what and where the exaust goes. this is my first import I should have said. I have had older chevs as cars fo play with. learning to use computers to tune is a first for me. sounds like fun.
    wanna say thanks for all the links and help. I will take a few pics tomorrow.

OP needs to run some logs, see how it does. That should show if it's not tuned, wrong tuned or OK... LearningView also...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Can someone give me some idea of the type of logs. I just did a 650 km drive home. It avg 8 lt per 100km. This was highway driving. At a steady 100-110 km per hour rpms were a constant 2500-2800 rpm. I filled up with 91 oct, Threw in a can of injector cleaner. Still have just under a eighth of a tank. I ws impressed with the fuel economy at my first long drive. I do have a bad alignment issue that I noticed. Car kept wanting to slowly pull to the left, this is just cruising, so I will be contacting the dealership today as this car supposedly had a full inspection. Well they obviously did not drive it as it was noticeable once I hit the highway. I am wondering about how suburu says to maintain NEW SUBURU. I heard that there is some milestones under the first 100 km that you should follow. I am almost at my 80000km and this needs a alignment for sure.
    But other than the car wanting to pull a bit, I did not notice any other issues. Under harder exceleration it seems to run out of breath after 5000 rpm. This was a little sad as I have read lots of reviews that these motors pull hard all the way to 6500-7000 and dont stop. I am meaning more in first and second gear. So is this what your referring to as how its tuned. I remember playing need for speed underground 2 a long time ago, Dont laugh guys, It is one of the best racing games of that style. My point is there is a section were you take your car to garage to dyno it etc. In the tuning section you can change the rpm curve to be sharp or more flat to get your power where and when you want it. This was a very cool idea as it aloud you to fine tune your car to drive how you wanted. If you had short gears or long you could fine tune whatever you wanted.
    If tuning my ecu is anything like pluging in my laptop and adjusting my rpm curve I will be happy. But I am not that naive to think this will such a easy task figuring out how this thing is tuned.
    Last edited by bushwickbill; 09-18-2013 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    OP needs to run some logs, see how it does. That should show if it's not tuned, wrong tuned or OK... LearningView also...
    Can you be more specific on types of logs your referring to and how to do them. Yes you can say i need training wheels right now. But I am a electrician by trade and have my ticket so i do pick stuff up fast and like learning. Specially about this stuff.

I Support ClubWRX
    Can you be more specific on types of logs your referring to and how to do them. Yes you can say i need training wheels right now. But I am a electrician by trade and have my ticket so i do pick stuff up fast and like learning. Specially about this stuff.
    The logs that he is referring to are doing "data logging" using a handheld logging device (for example an cobb accessport) or laptop, via a cable (i.e. tactrix cable) and the appropriate software. You would not be able to do this without the data logging devices or laptop/cable/software. Data logging is a way to read what is going on in your engine, via the car's ECU (a laundry list of things you can monitor), and is essential to make sure a modified car is running properly.

Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 USB Cable

this is what I need, really 250 bucks. Is there a cheaper alternative.

zax
    Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 USB Cable

this is what I need, really 250 bucks. Is there a cheaper alternative.
    LMAO!

You think THAT'S expensive? Welcome to modifying cars, enjoy your stay (and empty pockets)

Sure! Here's an alternative:
    http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-Acc...p3-sub-003.htm

Facebook me here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast