surprise? but what does it really mean?! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on surprise? but what does it really mean?! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; "Stick headers"? Or was that supposed to be "stock"? if so, then - are we talking about a WRX or ...

"Stick headers"? Or was that supposed to be "stock"? if so, then - are we talking about a WRX or what. The exhaust should be to the turbo, that in turn goes to the exhaust manifold. So, from turbo it's downpipe, cat-back, axle-back. If you have a 3" from turbo, with no cat, then probably gutted muffler, it will be loud. The only part that has real effect on HP is the downpipe and cat. For example in my car there is a 3" downpipe without a cat to the factory muffler, meaning open DP but original axle-back. It is tuned for that and runs great without any additional noise. You need to clarify what your exhaust system is. If you know what you are going to get for tuning, Accessport or Tactrix, you could shoot Eric at Torqued Performance an email and ask about e-tuning. There are other e-tuners with good reputation, I just don't know any. Or talk to local tuning shops. As far as warranty, there is probably no hope in hell that it will cover anything engine-wise...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You're "exhaust" typically will only be referred to as the "turbo back," or downpipe to exhaust tip. Most people who say "I have a full 3" exhaust" are talking about this section of the exhaust system. The downpipe will not connect directly to your headers. That being said, replacing the stock headers is a good upgrade, but it will need to be tuned for.

Take a read through this link. Exhaust FAQ

That price on the 60M service seems a bit steap, but I don't know the conversion to american off the top of my head. Just ask them exactly what they are doing and compare that to you maintenance booklet that came with the owners manual, and then you will have to make a judgement call if the price seems reasonable. Another thing you might do is ask around to a few shops and compare quotes.

Its a 2009 wrx hatch with 78000 kms on it. I am trying to be as helpful as I can. When you look under the car right behind the front tire on the right hand side you can see where the 3 inch ties inti the stock pipes. It looks like everything after that is stock. My first thoughts that the 3 inch went all the way ,But it doesn't. everything looks stock in engine bay. Nice and clean, but stock. So as I was asking I wanna know which items I would need to basically go from where the new 3 inch connects to the stock pipes. I wanna change out all the components so I have a full 3 inch system. Not stock pipes to 3 inch. Doesn't make sense to have stock everything then just a 3 inch run of stainless pipe. And if possible some rough prices, and how much labor it will take to do it. I am trying to get all this ready for when It goes into the shop for its 72000 km big service, Its past the kms, But this will be my starting point of when I took over, So I wanna get all that done and possibly get the rest of the exhaust done while its in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
    I had a better look under my hood yesterday. the 3 inch exaust hooks up to the stock headers. so I Dont think anyone has done any advanced tuning. I looked around the shops in my town and no one has that cable I want. so I will need to order it online. from the advice I received from one of the shops about my exhaust is that it was done purely to increase the loudness of it. and the fact that they didnt change anything else means they didnt want to take things that far?? so to take advantage performance wise of the already installed partial muffler that is installed I will need to get some new headers. but what will Suburu except for aftermarket stuff? can someone help me put together a list of items I would need to get ths rest of ths muffler to a 3 inch to get the performance that can. one from that size exaust?
    I Dont wanna just go to a garage and say fix'er up boys. they will see me coming a mile away, large mouth bass coming your way Lol. so at least if I have a parts I will need to buy and a general rule of thumb for how much labor is involved I can maybe get a quite or two from a few shops.
    so as it sits the 3 inch stainless coming from the back of the car is just pull straight to the stock headers so everything associated with changing out those components is what I want a list of how much time labor wise will be associated with all that work. and also I have to get "the big 72000km service " done which the Suburu shop in town has quoted it as being 600-650 taxes in. that sound right??
    than again everyone who has helped me take my first few steps as a fresh subi owner.
    If you just have a catback (just the back part of the exhaust, the part that makes noise), then the next step is to replace the downpipe (the part that goes from the turbo down out of the engine bay to the rest of the car) and then to get it tuned.

As far as the 72km service, a friend of mine just got his 60k mile service (so the next big one after this one), and it was around 650 or so. So I think that sounds reasonable.

So it seems that you have the original set-up: manifolds, turbo, downpipe with cat - then it goes into the 3" and gets loud. That is not an improvement, it's just a noisy WRX. To get better power you'd replace the downpipe with a cat-less and tune for it. THe down-pipe comes from several sources, Invidia being one of them. I don't recall the price but it was probably around 250 US. Installation is maybe 2 hrs if slow. make sure you have new turbo and flange gasket, depending on the lower connection. Turbo gasket is a no-brainer, comes from Subaru and is required, don't re-use, no matter how good the old one looks. One nut on the turbo is going to be a bit difficult, I had a complete set of new SST bolts, washers, lockwashers and nuts ready to use and replaced the original bolts and nuts.
    Last edited by Ingo; 09-19-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123