surprise? but what does it really mean?! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on surprise? but what does it really mean?! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by bushwickbill Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 USB Cable this is what I need, really 250 bucks. Is there a ...

Quote Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
    Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 USB Cable

this is what I need, really 250 bucks. Is there a cheaper alternative.
    Sell car, buy bicycle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I paid about 160... straight thru their website...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Hey guys. yes I realize parts are expensive, Just didnt think that a cord was that much, But obviously this is more than just a cord.
    BTW I do have a bike. it doesn't get me around in the snow though. This is the main reason for picking a suburu. Cant wait to get some snow down to see this four bad boy at work.
    so just to be clear, This is the only piece of equipment I will need to be able to log said reports.

Tactrix cable (really an adapter) connects a laptop, that in turn runs Open Source software (i.e. Romraider and learningview), both available for free. Or the Cobb accessport, about $600 and nothing else needed.

Ooops, I just noticed "Canada", that might have to do with the $250... ANd would also translate to Accessport being a bit more than 600....

Used would be OK, as long as you can be sure it's not a stolen unit and has been properly "unmarried"...

used

Does it matter if I can find a used one. I new one would be nice but I can find a nicer used one than a brand new cheaper one.
    Any advice on what to watch for if purchasing a used one

There was a question about this recently, it needs to be unmarried and in that thread they talked about that and also how people from here have sold theirs with photos ot the device showing the set-up screen, proves that it's unmarried, and showing the serial number for proof it's not a stolen unit. I would stay away from "compatible" units, that would just be asking for trouble.

so i grab one new and off I go. I know that suburu has km milestones that need to be maintained. How can I check that the previous owner has followed guidelines and what are the next ones. I am almost at 80000 km so there must be a big tune up coming isnt there. I wanna maximize the suburu warranty till I hit 100000km. I already know it needs a re alignment.

I Support ClubWRX
    so i grab one new and off I go. I know that suburu has km milestones that need to be maintained. How can I check that the previous owner has followed guidelines and what are the next ones. I am almost at 80000 km so there must be a big tune up coming isnt there. I wanna maximize the suburu warranty till I hit 100000km. I already know it needs a re alignment.
    Only way to tell that is to either get the maintenance records from the previous owner, or get them from the dealer that he brought the car to for maintenance.

I really dont wanna pay some shop just to hook it up to a computer to tell this and that. Once I have th ecable I just need to download said software and I can go from there.
    What if any other plus is there to having a all in one cobb access port as opposed to a laptop with the cable. I would think the laptop would be better to use. Way bigger screen. The ability to save, compare run diff software apps.
    Is there any real advantage to using a all in one configuration. I dont think I will be using this on a everyday bases. Do a initial run and log, Get advice, Tune, Go have fun
    Am I missing some big steps in the middle.
    I am going to take some pics of the engine bay for this thread to help someone better help me. So some pics of the 3 inch coming up and where it connects. what else should i be taking pics of for better help.

I Support ClubWRX
    I really dont wanna pay some shop just to hook it up to a computer to tell this and that. Once I have th ecable I just need to download said software and I can go from there.
    What if any other plus is there to having a all in one cobb access port as opposed to a laptop with the cable. I would think the laptop would be better to use. Way bigger screen. The ability to save, compare run diff software apps.
    Is there any real advantage to using a all in one configuration. I dont think I will be using this on a everyday bases. Do a initial run and log, Get advice, Tune, Go have fun
    Am I missing some big steps in the middle.
    I am going to take some pics of the engine bay for this thread to help someone better help me. So some pics of the 3 inch coming up and where it connects. what else should i be taking pics of for better help.
    Just get some shots from different angles of the engine bay. A lot of people use the laptop and cable. The only advantage to the handheld AP is that it is small, and some pro-tuners require them for tuning (but most do tactrix too).

Also, you don't need to take any pictures of your 3 inches for us Sorry, had to throw that in there.

Yeah, for everyday the laptop is a bit cumbersome to lag around. For logging and monitoring as well as downloading maps it is perfectly fine. THe Cobb Access port doesn't really do anything more, it's just more compact and can be used everyday, like an extra instrument i.e. boost gage. For that I use another adapter, Bluetooth (~25US) and a $5 software called Torque-App on an old Droid-X. I'm leaning to advise for the laptop. It's what I got and it has worked fine. Once you have logs you post them here and there are a number of people that will take a look and advise on what - if anything_ looks wrong. The logs is recorded usually in 3rd gear from 2k RPMs to top with wide-open-throttle (WOT). You'd record boost, ignition timing, knock correction, and another number of parameters. Not too many, that'll cause the record to have lower resolution. But you'll find more info on that as you look around and talk to people here.

at least i aint lying when i say its three inches...from the floor

I had a better look under my hood yesterday. the 3 inch exaust hooks up to the stock headers. so I Dont think anyone has done any advanced tuning. I looked around the shops in my town and no one has that cable I want. so I will need to order it online. from the advice I received from one of the shops about my exhaust is that it was done purely to increase the loudness of it. and the fact that they didnt change anything else means they didnt want to take things that far?? so to take advantage performance wise of the already installed partial muffler that is installed I will need to get some new headers. but what will Suburu except for aftermarket stuff? can someone help me put together a list of items I would need to get ths rest of ths muffler to a 3 inch to get the performance that can. one from that size exaust?
    I Dont wanna just go to a garage and say fix'er up boys. they will see me coming a mile away, large mouth bass coming your way Lol. so at least if I have a parts I will need to buy and a general rule of thumb for how much labor is involved I can maybe get a quite or two from a few shops.
    so as it sits the 3 inch stainless coming from the back of the car is just pull straight to the stock headers so everything associated with changing out those components is what I want a list of how much time labor wise will be associated with all that work. and also I have to get "the big 72000km service " done which the Suburu shop in town has quoted it as being 600-650 taxes in. that sound right??
    than again everyone who has helped me take my first few steps as a fresh subi owner.
    Last edited by bushwickbill; 09-19-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast