Just got a 02 WRX what should i do to it first ???????

This is a discussion on Just got a 02 WRX what should i do to it first ??????? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just bought a 02 Wrx. All stock ! What should be my first modification to the car ?...

Just got a 02 WRX what should i do to it first ???????

Just bought a 02 Wrx. All stock ! What should be my first modification to the car ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Maintenance.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Agreed. Bring it up to date with the factory service schedule.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Slam it and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Maintenance.
    This.

How many miles? Timing belt and all fluids up to date? Also, tires if they are in need.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

After maintenance remove that dangerous cat in your up pipe..

^ hahahaha

I'll share my own $0.02 here. I've had more than my fair share of secondhand cars. (many performance oriented)
    First "mods" within a week of ownership are always:
    New air filters (yeah, that one behind the dash too. The one everyone forgets until their air smells like gym socks) With Turbo Sube's I always clean the MAF the day I get the car, and usually every air filter change ~10K miles.
    Oil and filter change.
    Usually coolant. Flush, refill, pull the reservoir off and manually clean it out. etc.
    Brake inspection.
    Tire inspection.
    (plan accordingly for both)
    alignment. (even if you got a receipt saying it was done recently, I have it done anyway. multiple times I've gotten receipts for alignments and had it on a rack, looking like Ray Charles set the toe. No thanks, I'll have it in person.)
    Spark Plugs. Regardless of mileage, I like to read them as well as they provide a great window into the engine. Can be indicative of greater issues. Once again, get a leg up now.
    Thorough interior cleaning. I extract all carpets and upholstery, and deep clean any and all leather.
    Proper detail. Clay, minor paint correction, seal.

And the very important: THOROUGHLY clean the engine bay and engine undercarriage. I mostly end up buying used cars and HATE HATE fluid leaks. I like to know of them as soon as possible, so I can get the ball rolling on a diagnosis and repair (if necessary).

Often, at this point you'll probably find something you'd like to address. (cosmetic/mechanical/both) and want to make that your top priority, as you just spent a ton of time making the car "yours" and likely removing a good bit of the previous owner's neglect, improving it's performance and appearance.

Not to mention, you're probably only out $150 or so, much cheaper than 'mods' and now the car feels totally 'fresh' to you again.

That's my top choice.
    Next, PDR. It's a Subaru, it has dents. I'm 90% sure I'm right. Especially considering the age.

Last, idk tint the windows or something.

If it's healthy and maintained up to date, worry about making more power.
    I don't understand these kids with hemorrhaging valve cover gaskets, blown struts, garbage cupped tires and door dents hollering about making more power.

to each his own.

Good luck OP.