Exhaust check engine

This is a discussion on Exhaust check engine within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, so I basically called a friend the other day after I received all the exhaust parts for my 2013 ...

Exhaust check engine

Okay, so I basically called a friend the other day after I received all the exhaust parts for my 2013 wrx to come over and help me install them. After we installed the 3 inch turbo back straight pipe with the nameless muffler delete we ran into some issues with the check engine. I ran the cobb accessport before I started the car for the first time for a stage 2 map on 93 octane. We installed a DNA catless downpipe, with the midpipes from them and it bolted up to the axleback nameless muffler delete, not only is it unbearably loud, I'm getting a check engine light. After I ran the stage 2 tune it was fine, even the next morning for the first start up no check engine. Now I'm getting it, as well as a boost surge every once and a while.

Question(s):
    1. If I install a resonator will it cut down the noise inside the car as well as cut it down just by cruising around?

2. Should I invest in a pro tune to set the car on the right path of stage 2?

Any information would be great, thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

DNA catless downpipe
    The Cobb OTS maps are NOT compatible w/ catless downpipes.

https://static.cobbtuning.com/cobbtu..._WRX_09-13.pdf

The Stage2 maps were developed using a COBB Tuning turbo-back exhaust system with a high-flow catalytic converter. An equivalent turbo-back exhaust system could also be used. If a lesser flowing turbo-back exhaust system is used then boost targets may not be achievable. These maps are NOT designed to be used with an aftermarket race downpipe that does not have a catalytic converter (i.e. catless). Doing so greatly increases the chance for boost spikes and boost creep.
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

Cobb ots maps do not support catless downpipes! Sell your access port and go get a pro tune!

I was thinking about selling it, I spoke to someone and they told me to sell it on the forum and get accutek with a tune. Apparently you can run 2 tunes simultaneously. Especially with the set up I have, I think it would be better

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardwrx View Post
    I was thinking about selling it, I spoke to someone and they told me to sell it on the forum and get accutek with a tune. Apparently you can run 2 tunes simultaneously. Especially with the set up I have, I think it would be better

Never heard of accutek (maybe you mean ECUTek?). I don't know how you would run two tunes simultaneously, or even how that would be advantageous if you could..

ECUTek is just another method of flashing the ECU, so it shouldn't really be any better or worse than using your current Cobb AP (either way you are still using the exact same computer to control your engine). A real tune will almost always be better though, and you can get someone to tune utilizing your AP if you want.. or you could sell it to get some money back and spend that money on the tune.

zax
    Apparently you can run 2 tunes simultaneously. Especially with the set up I have, I think it would be better
    What in the holy hell are you talking about?!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Maybe what they said was ecutek, there was a lot of pneumatic guns in the back going off. He did mention that there was a launch control via your steering console and all you had to do was hit a sequence of buttons to adjust it.

What I was told, and I didn't have any time to really research it was that you can have 2 tunes set to your car and you can switch either one on or off at a time on your car, kind of like the AP plugged I to your car and switching it like that.

Your AP already has launch control, as well as flat foot shifting capabilities..

I'm going today after work to see exactly what he was talking about. I know the Cobb AP has all this, should I just get it tuned with my AP or invest in another system and sell my AP

zax
    What I was told, and I didn't have any time to really research it was that you can have 2 tunes set to your car and you can switch either one on or off at a time on your car, kind of like the AP plugged I to your car and switching it like that.
    OK, map switching is not the same as running "two tunes simultaneously"

Facebook me here

I'm going today after work to see exactly what he was talking about. I know the Cobb AP has all this, should I just get it tuned with my AP or invest in another system and sell my AP

Personally, I wouldn't "invest" in another system at this point.. if you need the money, then sell the AP and get an open source tune (from what you have said I don't see any need or use for map switching capability). If you don't need that money back too bad, just keep the AP and have a reputable, professional Subaru performance tuner tune the car using the AP.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't "invest" in another system at this point.. if you need the money, then sell the AP and get an open source tune (from what you have said I don't see any need or use for map switching capability). If you don't need that money back too bad, just keep the AP and have a reputable, professional Subaru performance tuner tune the car using the AP.
    +1 I had mine protuned @ Kaizen tuning here in MA. hence, I kept my AP.
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

zax
    Kaizen tuning.... Someone read up on TPS

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Facebook me here

Thanks a ton mainframe, I spoke to a spot here on Long Island called metric subaru performance tuning and the guy was really knowledgeable and came highly recommended from NASIOC. We spoke about the differences with tunes and what could possibly be going wrong. He quoted me much cheaper than the other guy did with just the tune. Plus he didn't try to sell me something and then sell me the tune.