first wrx:)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on first wrx:) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi all. as it says this is my first wrx , first subi for that matter. finally was able to ...

Lightbulb first wrx:)

hi all. as it says this is my first wrx , first subi for that matter. finally was able to get enough loot together to get a nice newer 2009 hatch. I juat moved to sudbury ontario in canada were we have snow six months out of the year. I Dont have any huge goals to start, as my new ride is warrantied up to 200,000 Kms. and it only has 76,000km. so I know I am limited to what kinds of things I can modify but what are some of the easist and best mods to get? I would like some more hp if possible. quicker throttle reaponse is always nice. faster turbo...
    so I need some advice on the best route to go. I would rather purchase nice quality parts that will add up slowly over time for some decent gains. I Dont want the cheap quick gain that is only to wear out in a few weeks or whatever. I really Dont know who or what are the quality brands to get either. I am arriving very late to the game of tuning in my life as I had three kids before I had a chance to afford a fast car. practacality and space took priority then. but now I am ready to shed my skin to reveal a new and improved me with a new car to help. and if there are no mods for the engine that won't void the warranty then next is handling and grip...
    thanks for taking the time to read my post.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This is a little old (2007), but see:

Subaru Catch All TSB Regarding Modding

It reads like any engine mods, including tuning by flashing the ECU, could be grounds for denying warranty claims.

It reads like anything that suggests that the car was "abused" could lead to warranty claim rejection. Not unreasonable, but it puts the evaluation up to Subaru.

If you drive it 20,000 km per year, then the warranty will be in play for six years. Care to wait that long?

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    You won't void the warranty. They could just possibly deny your claim. That being said, it is rare and there are plenty of threads that discuss this. Just a quick search on this site will give you tons of threads on the warranty issue.

There's enough links here to get you started. But the first things you would want to do for power would be downpipe along with some sort of tuning.
    First Modifications - what to do and not to do

Congrats on your wrx bud.. I live outside of toronto and there's nothing better than giving all wheels a punch with snow on the ground.

Any changes to the vehicles hp/torque output will put you at risk of being denied warranty service. That's the risk you take right? Saying that 200k km is a long time to wait..

I was reading about the 2009 330s impreza. this is what I want mine to be like. realistically how much cash to turn mine to that!!??
    but ya 200000 km is a long time to wait. but I am using this as my first tuner car. I will learn to maintain and tune this one. I can dream of mine looking and running as fast as the 330s wrx!!
    . there seems to be a lot of different routes to go starting from scratch. this is why I am trusting a great site like this to be my compass and be my true north for a very fast rex one day. not that these things aren't fast like they are. I just Dont wanna have one that will blow apart if I drive it 'spirted". this is also why I prefer very durable quality over the quick fix to boost power. no sense adding a huge turbo now when my clutch, and other components won't be beefed up enough to handle it long term. I want a solid base so when I do drop in some more air I won't blow it up. any other advice is great guys.

[QUOTE=wreckingball man;3044486]You won't void the warranty. They could just possibly deny your claim.QUOTE]

A distinction without a difference.

I'm not trying to persuade "bushwickbill" one way or another.

For my own 2013 WRX, I've gone to a Cobb Stage 1 ECU flash, a Torque Solution short-throw shifter (with the OEM bushings, still), and modified H9 halogens replacing the H11s for the low beam headlights (in order of decreasing $). I'm not counting on Subaru paying for anything that breaks.
    Last edited by bobkn; 09-15-2013 at 09:56 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

[QUOTE=bobkn;3044512]
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    You won't void the warranty. They could just possibly deny your claim.QUOTE]

A distinction without a difference.

I'm not trying to persuade "bushwickbill" one way or another.

For my own 2013 WRX, I've gone to a Cobb Stage 1 ECU flash, a Torque Solution short-throw shifter (with the OEM bushings, still), and modified H9 halogens replacing the H11s for the low beam headlights (in order of decreasing $). I'm not counting on Subaru paying for anything that breaks.
    There is a distinction. Your warranty dosn't just go poof and disappear as soon as you tune it. The warranty still exists, however there is a chance they may deny a claim if they can prove the tune is responsible for the damage and not a faulty/worn out part. Same goes with other parts of the car, not just the engine. If they can prove that your modding/tampering is responsible for the failure, then they will deny it. But it dosn't just get "voided" and go away forever because you installed aftermarket parts, it goes away after the (insert warranty duration here) is up.

There are endless threads on this topic on this website and they come one after the other with the same question and they get the same answer as stated above^

[QUOTE=wreckingball man;3044567]
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post

There is a distinction. Your warranty dosn't just go poof and disappear as soon as you tune it. The warranty still exists, however there is a chance they may deny a claim if they can prove the tune is responsible for the damage and not a faulty/worn out part. Same goes with other parts of the car, not just the engine. If they can prove that your modding/tampering is responsible for the failure, then they will deny it. But it dosn't just get "voided" and go away forever because you installed aftermarket parts, it goes away after the (insert warranty duration here) is up.

There are endless threads on this topic on this website and they come one after the other with the same question and they get the same answer as stated above^
    Right. Whether a warranty claim is honored is up to Subaru of America. I suppose that the dealer enters into it by what information they share with Subaru. (Or does Subaru have their own personnel that they use to evaluate a car that's in for expensive repairs?)

Would you advise someone running Stage 2 mods to expect the same treatment by Subaru as someone at stock? (That's not a rhetorical question.)

[QUOTE=bobkn;3044793]
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post

Right. Whether a warranty claim is honored is up to Subaru of America. I suppose that the dealer enters into it by what information they share with Subaru. (Or does Subaru have their own personnel that they use to evaluate a car that's in for expensive repairs?)

Would you advise someone running Stage 2 mods to expect the same treatment by Subaru as someone at stock? (That's not a rhetorical question.)
    I read about someone getting flack from a dealer for having the SPT catback installed, which is a factory Subaru part that dosn't even effect the engine. So I would say, don't expect to be treated the same. Although, it highly depends on the dealer and what your problem is. Some dealers do not care one bit, others are very picky and will do anything to relieve themselves of the warranty responsibility. But, show me one company that dosn't try to get out of warranty claims. Even if your car was completely stock they could blame it on abuse or something else, there are other things they could deny you for other than mods.

Warranties in general are slippery. With mods you should expect them to be extra suspicious. Although it all still depends a lot on your dealer and your problem; some don't care, some do.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.