Subaru WRX Forum banner

What engine mods do I need to blow a Camaro SS?

6K views 46 replies 20 participants last post by  wreckingball man 
#1 ·
I know I'm really close to beating an SS but I really want to annihilate this scum bag that I unfortunately know. I need to embarrass him because he told me he'll give me 10 car lengths and I know 10 car lengths is more than enough to blow him away. I have about $5k set aside for my Subi, so please any recommendations will be highly appreciated. Im gonna tear this guy a new a$$ hole...help me guys!

#18 ·
Trust me if I had 65k to blow I wont get a mustang....I'd get a freakin used skyline GTR. I already drove a 5.0 Mustang 2012 and didn't really like it. Trust me I'd keep my wrx over a 5.0 anyday. What are you going to do with a Mustang or an SS in the winter?

#5 · (Edited)
I'll try to be a touch more serious (just a little). Assuming you're doing this on a drag-strip... or some other form of sanctioned racing, and not through school zones. I don't know how to convert school-zone times into 1/4 mile or rally times.

I'm not 100% familiar with the SSs (but my 3 year old son loves them), to be honest. I can give you some 1/4-mile times (or you could look them up yourself). I know with my build (see the build forum), I ran a 12.26 and 12.48 @ 22 psi (and a lot of 12.7s @ 20 psi) in the cold night air at NEMS on DRs - the vast majority of my time was lost in my 60' time. I've been drag racing for a while (bikes and sleds mostly), but I would expect you could run sub 13s with my mods if you were competent.

From Nasioc, stage 2 TP cars are running 12.9s pretty consistently.

To 'rip someone apart', that means at minimum a 1-second 1/4 mile win to me. YMMV.

What's an SS run? From the forums I see a lot of 'high 12s' for the stock 2013 (no idea if this is true or not, it's from the Camaro forums). That means you won't 'destroy' him with my mods (which are JUST in your budget) - it'll be more of a drivers race to see if he can catch you. Therefore, you'll need motor and/or turbo work if you want to kill him. This means your budget isn't big enough as stated. E85 could be an option, but that requires fueling upgrades. Assuming I'm making 325/385, then you need to make 450/500 to beat him by a second?

That should cost... hmmm ..... $20k? Or there abouts anyway.

The issue is, of course, doing that dramatically shortens the life of your clutch and transmission, but you only need to beat him once, right? RIGHT?! If not, you'll need tranny work too...

So my suggestion is to 1/4 mile race him... in January... during a blizzard... him stock tires you on snow tires... you should kill him.

#10 ·
Why is a dumbass with a big-V8 Camaro SS saying he will destroy a freaking 4 cylinder car with 265 horses? I also bet I can beat up my neighbor's 10 year old kid, cuz I'm cool, ya know.

#12 ·
but seriously, e85, upgraded fuel system to go with it, DP, Dom 1.5 XTR, Wider sticky ass tires, Process West TMIC, EBCS, AccessPort or Opensource protune, and some other little stuff your tuner will probably recommend

#13 ·
I was checking Chevy's site to see what they are doing with the Camaro these days out of curiosity, and I think it's kind of funny (and sad) that the ZL1, a supercharged 6.2 liter with 580 freaking horsepower, gets THE SAME MPG as our 4 cylinder WRX's....what. the. ****. Way to go, Subaru.

2013 Chevy Camaro ZL1 | Performance Sports Car | Chevrolet

#16 ·
Ewww...Mustangs

:sleep:

#21 ·
Willing to increase your budget?

ELH, ETS FMIC, ETS rotated up and downpipe, 38mm EWG, GTX3071 (or GTX3576), Tial turbine housing, Tial Q BOV, MBC, AEM 3.5bar MAP sensor, GM IAT sensor, ID1300s, Full Blown 340lph fuel pump, ACT XTSS.. run open downpipe, remove rear seats and gut the trunk. And you're gonna need some tires. Would be nice if they sell e85 in your area.

#22 ·
ELH, ETS FMIC, ETS rotated up and downpipe, 38mm EWG, GTX3071 (or GTX3576), Tial turbine housing, Tial Q BOV, MBC, AEM 3.5bar MAP sensor, GM IAT sensor, ID1300s, Full Blown 340lph fuel pump, ACT XTSS..
TL;DR: Just buy as many acronyms as you possibly can. :p

#23 ·
IMO. intake, turboback, equal length headers, front mount intercooler, external wastegate, ebcs, fuel pump. stage three e-tune from torqued performance. should do good for you.... its a hell of alot faster than stock anyways

#31 · (Edited)
wow 2 whole pages and no fast and furious references? See if you can get the dude to go to an autocross and see who puts down the better time.

#32 ·
Mustangs have the better times at my local autocrosses. But then again, they're all 500Hp and with friendly owners and fantastic drivers. Not the usual scenario that existed just a few years ago with all the slow 4.6L's running around thinking they're fast.

#33 ·
Comparing a WRX and a Camaro SS is like comparing apples and oranges. I was thinking about buying a Camaro but there were too many things that were a con for me. Sure the Camaro can beat a WRX on the drag strip but that's about the only thing better about it in my opinion. Oh and you can do ridiculous burnouts and trash your tires. I think a WRX is a great deal for the money spent on it. Just bring up all the negatives the Camaro has and just don't stop harassing him about it. Like how much more money he spent, how it drives in the snow, how the visibility is really bad and downright dangerous sometimes, how his passengers in the back like getting out of the car, there's probably more. The WRX is pretty amazing with all that power from a 4 Cylinder motor. And what you get for $26k is equally impressive. AWD with lots of power, standard safety features that were really appealing for me since I cart my kids around in the back. A WRX is far more practical for a daily driver sports car than a Camaro ever could be. And unless you are rich and can afford a Summer sports car the WRX is the way to go. Just my 2 cents on the whole thing.

#43 ·
:pedobear:

My drag times are preposterous
Think my penis is a rhinoceros
Blind spots, Well they're ponderous
My Hp is ludacrous
My ego is hubris

Hop in my Camero SS
And we'll have some gay secks
:rotfl:

This thread is the win.

Race him in the snow or on a dirt/gravel road. See how his SS does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.