What power gains will I be looking at when I flash my WRX to stage 2? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on What power gains will I be looking at when I flash my WRX to stage 2? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Methodical4u LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!I have a 2012 with the mods in my sig plus a PW TMIC fuel pump ...

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!I have a 2012 with the mods in my sig plus a PW TMIC fuel pump and 3 port and the virtual dyno said I had 320/340 at the wheels. Keep in mind that supposedly the 2012's are also a bit underrated on some dynos, and i'm not saying that a VD is the most reliable, but it is a good measuring stick and is usually +/- 5 on each according to some back to back tests I've read about.
    This about lines up with my car - adding EL headers and uppipe onto your set up (above) netted 325/385 on the dyno. Pre-headers I was right around 305/340 iirc, and VD told me I was at 310/330.

But man... 70% increase in HP. I want that tune. Or... maybe I don't?
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    This about lines up with my car - adding EL headers and uppipe onto your set up (above) netted 325/385 on the dyno. Pre-headers I was right around 305/340 iirc, and VD told me I was at 310/330.

But man... 70% increase in HP. I want that tune. Or... maybe I don't?
    Yep, and that little bit of power difference from mine to yours could have been the very cold day I ran the car (around 20 degrees IIRC) or the combo of a little different parts. Other than that.. it likes up just about perfectly. How did you like your headers after you installed them btw? Assuming I keep my car, i'd like to add them as a last power mod to feel sort of complete I guess would be the word.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

The headers were great! Maybe my favorite upgrade. The perrin ones didn't really add any HP (maybe 10?) but they gave a huge surge in torque and the car spooled up about 3-400 rpms earlier. I did a lot at the same time when I did the headers, but overall it's a good swap that I would have done along with my stage 2 DP install had I known what I know now.

The headers alone are a super easy install (like 15 minutes tops), but I would recommend that you do the uppipe too (both to stop rattling of the heat shield and to gain a bit more power) which is a PITA and adds about 2-3 hours to the job (you have to take off the DP).

There are only 2 issues I've found with them. The first is (even wrapped) they put a lot of heat into the engine bay, and at a stop my IAT tend to run a little higher than before (5-10 degrees), but when moving this doesn't seem to be an issue (I run about 12 degrees over ambient), but it's something to keep in mind. The second is that the car is WAY quieter with the headers (noticeable to my wife), and much more smooth sounding. By no means is it sounding like a Honda, it still has a slight 'burble' to it, but it definitely sounds less like a Subaru and more like a porche or even a triumph 1050 triple (in a way). It's enough where I bought an SPT exhaust to get some of that sound back.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    The headers were great! Maybe my favorite upgrade. The perrin ones didn't really add any HP (maybe 10?) but they gave a huge surge in torque and the car spooled up about 3-400 rpms earlier. I did a lot at the same time when I did the headers, but overall it's a good swap that I would have done along with my stage 2 DP install had I known what I know now.

The headers alone are a super easy install (like 15 minutes tops), but I would recommend that you do the uppipe too (both to stop rattling of the heat shield and to gain a bit more power) which is a PITA and adds about 2-3 hours to the job (you have to take off the DP).

There are only 2 issues I've found with them. The first is (even wrapped) they put a lot of heat into the engine bay, and at a stop my IAT tend to run a little higher than before (5-10 degrees), but when moving this doesn't seem to be an issue (I run about 12 degrees over ambient), but it's something to keep in mind. The second is that the car is WAY quieter with the headers (noticeable to my wife), and much more smooth sounding. By no means is it sounding like a Honda, it still has a slight 'burble' to it, but it definitely sounds less like a Subaru and more like a porche or even a triumph 1050 triple (in a way). It's enough where I bought an SPT exhaust to get some of that sound back.
    I've debated the UEL headers for that reason, but I just don't know. I don't want to swap the uppipe and all of that though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u
    In other words... you have no clue what you are talking about.
    I wouldn't necessarily go that far. I'm guessing there is some kind of typo in there, based on Monks post history.

Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck
    You're likely out of fuel. There isn't much you can do for higher peak HP values with the IDCs you're probably running. You can net some pretty good gains in the midrange, however.
    Last edited by EJ257; 09-04-2013 at 06:28 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily go that far. I'm guessing there is some kind of typo in there, based on Monks post history.

You're likely out of fuel. There isn't much you can do for higher peak HP values with the IDCs you're probably running. You can net some pretty good gains in the midrange, however.
    Yeah, I had posted the info that Crawford Performance had sent me in which they said without a bigger turbo injectors wouldn't be needed. I don't like to question people's expertise... I just wonder why they would say that for the simple reason that if he gained only 10 hp, that would be I think the only instance in which I didn't see at least a 15 hp gain... and of course I think we've seen even 20-25 maybe? Can't say for sure about 25, but I am pretty sure I saw 20 hp. BUT! important thing to note IMO of course is that 400.00 or more for bigger injectors to make 10 or so more HP isn't a real good $ to hp ratio lol. Now if I were gonna pull 15-20 more ft lbs and 10 hp... yeah, it might be worth it then.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily go that far. I'm guessing there is some kind of typo in there, based on Monks post history
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    My 03 is still going strong at 171k miles at Stage 2+ power level (about 70% or so more hp than stock). I race AutoX in it monthly with no issues at all. Last race had multiple sections per lap where I was full-throttle downshifting to first gear at around 5000 rpms and I'm not at all worried about it.
    How tough is the 03 wrx transmission? How tough are 3rd and 4th gear?

Same mistake twice?

My guess is his maths ain't so good. 30% is a realistic expectation. He just subtracted 30% from 100%! Stock power is 70% of his current power level
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax
    Same mistake twice?

My guess is his maths ain't so good. 30% is a realistic expectation. He just subtracted 30% from 100%! Stock power is 70% of his current power level
    I didn't see the other one. I'm sure the discrepancy is from a faulty math equation, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u
    Yeah, I had posted the info that Crawford Performance had sent me in which they said without a bigger turbo injectors wouldn't be needed. I don't like to question people's expertise... I just wonder why they would say that for the simple reason that if he gained only 10 hp, that would be I think the only instance in which I didn't see at least a 15 hp gain... and of course I think we've seen even 20-25 maybe? Can't say for sure about 25, but I am pretty sure I saw 20 hp. BUT! important thing to note IMO of course is that 400.00 or more for bigger injectors to make 10 or so more HP isn't a real good $ to hp ratio lol. Now if I were gonna pull 15-20 more ft lbs and 10 hp... yeah, it might be worth it then.
    You're talking strictly in peak values...

There's more to a dyno graph than the peak values. He may only see a 10whp peak gain, but there may be other sections of the RPM range that are far more than that. With the intake that TT has, I would expect the tuner to be able to squeeze quite a bit more power out of the car up top safely due to having sufficient fuel, where he's having to dial it back currently due to IDCs.

Regardless, this has nothing to do with a 2003 WRX @ Cobb StageII power levels, so if you'd like to continue this conversation, feel free to create another thread or bump your old thread.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

All of the power results listed on Cobbs website is to the crank. Once the power hits the wheels you will lose a lot with AWD. All of the claims on here were most likely to the crank and not the wheels. Example sti's are said to be at 300 hp to the crank or 295 i forget. Really they are running 260-280 to the wheels maybe even less. The new WRX's are basically a 5 speed sti if you will lol. Regardless stage 2 on is awesome! I kept up with my buddies stock 07 sti the other day no problem in my 02 wrx. That is all you need to know about stage 2 and that it feels like how a turbo car should. I will be moving up to the next "stage" next weekend
    Last edited by Buzzard11; 09-25-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12