TMIC suggestions and Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on TMIC suggestions and Help within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have done quite a bit of searching and most threads I have found seem to be 1-2 years old ...

TMIC suggestions and Help

I have done quite a bit of searching and most threads I have found seem to be 1-2 years old in regards to options of TMIC and quality and fitment.

plain stage 2 isn't cutting it for me So i'm looking at TMIC options with new tune to get some more HP.

As far as budget goes I'm not necessarily capped in regards to money but having trouble justifying some of the higher cost TMIC. This is it for mods at least for the next 2-3years.

I posted on 3gwrx and getting very little except to buy "brandx". I know everyone has opinions of what brand is best etc but no states why. Just saying "Process West" doesn't justify me spending $1,000.

I saw a lot of complaints with every TMIC at some point or another, I assume revisions have been done to some to make fitments better? any past experience would help. I don't want to drop $300-1000 on a TMIC and have a nightmare do to poor fitment.

Thanks guys/gals.
    ~Dan~ 2011 WRX Limited Stage 2 TP Stinkeye Mob #93

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm sure that you've heard this before then: Processwest. For the money, it's the largest core out there (read: better cooling capacity), and is known to fit excellently. You ALSO get a custom splitter made to use with it (which is necessary to get the adequate flow of air over the PW TMIC). Many others for even $100 or $200 less, don't have that piece. To me, that just makes sense for the money. It's quality can't be beat.

FWIW...I also don't want to spend a ton of money on a TMIC, but I likely will for this piece myself, just because it is that much better.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I went with the perrin tmic and it fit perfect and it a lot bigger then the OEM one
    I'll post pics if I can from my iPhone/pad
    2013 WRX Premium SWP HB Stage 2
    1976 Corvette Stingray black
    2008 WRX Basic CBS HB TRADED IN
    2002 WRX Basic WRB SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I'm sure that you've heard this before then: Processwest. For the money, it's the largest core out there (read: better cooling capacity), and is known to fit excellently. You ALSO get a custom splitter made to use with it (which is necessary to get the adequate flow of air over the PW TMIC). Many others for even $100 or $200 less, don't have that piece. To me, that just makes sense for the money. It's quality can't be beat.

FWIW...I also don't want to spend a ton of money on a TMIC, but I likely will for this piece myself, just because it is that much better.
    Thanks for the actual response, people say PW but never give a reason why it is good, with the height of the PW does the stock BPV clear the hood? I know some of the other TMIC you end up having rubbing issues on the solenoid, have seena few pics but not sure what brand it was. I know it wasn't the PW.

Quote Originally Posted by blusubi02 View Post
    I went with the perrin tmic and it fit perfect and it a lot bigger then the OEM one
    I'll post pics if I can from my iPhone/pad
    How long ago did you put the perrin on your car? I actually had that ready to buy till I started reading all the stories about the fitment issues, but most were in 2011 or early 2012. I do like the warranty the have and generally make good parts.

I Support ClubWRX
    There are two things to consider when pricing out a TMIC upgrade:
    1) Cooling ability
    2) Pressure drop

Let's face it...

Knockoff TMICs like FMS and the like just don't have the ability to cool the intake charge like the more expensive TMICs. People see two TMICs that look similar, it talks about it's low pressure drop, and think they're wasting money on the more expensive unit; unfortunately, this is exactly what they want you to do, because it's deceiving. While the pressure drop is similar, the ability to cool the intake charge just isn't there.

When it comes to TMICs, my recommendation is one of two or three companies:
    1) ProcessWest
    2) ETS (I'm not sure if they've released an '08+ WRX unit yet)
    3) Spearco (I believe they have an '08+ WRX unit out)

Those companies make solid units, and I wouldn't recommend a part I wouldn't use on my own car. With any option, you'll need an aftermarket BPV, as well, as the plastic unit tends to have issues with higher boost values like the OE TMIC endtanks, so that needs to be a consideration.

Honestly, I think you're hoping for too much. You've already got a fairly aggressive S2 map on the car, and a TMIC isn't really going to free up all that much headroom (your injectors are probably close to maxed as-is).
    Last edited by EJ257; 08-28-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

^Matty preaches the gospel.

I also have not heard of anyone having bpv issues either with the PW TMIC. But if you upgrade as EJ said, you should look to upgrade the valve as well.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    There are two things to consider when pricing out a TMIC upgrade:
    1) Cooling ability
    2) Pressure drop

Let's face it...

Knockoff TMICs like FMS and the like just don't have the ability to cool the intake charge like the more expensive TMICs. People see two TMICs that look similar, it talks about it's low pressure drop, and think they're wasting money on the more expensive unit; unfortunately, this is exactly what they want you to do, because it's deceiving. While the pressure drop is similar, the ability to cool the intake charge just isn't there.

When it comes to TMICs, my recommendation is one of two or three companies:
    1) ProcessWest
    2) ETS (I'm not sure if they've released an '08+ WRX unit yet)
    3) Spearco (I believe they have an '08+ WRX unit out)

Those companies make solid units, and I wouldn't recommend a part I wouldn't use on my own car. With any option, you'll need an aftermarket BPV, as well, as the plastic unit tends to have issues with higher boost values like the OE TMIC endtanks, so that needs to be a consideration.

Honestly, I think you're hoping for too much. You've already got a fairly aggressive S2 map on the car, and a TMIC isn't really going to free up all that much headroom (your injectors are probably close to maxed as-is).
    Interesting take and thanks for the advice. I have never heard of anyone of 08+ needing to change out the BPV, but then again I wasn't really looking at that if they did.

ETS has not yet sadly they get awesome reviews on IWSTI and seem like with any issues they correct with a swap for the customers.

As referring to the tune and getting more HP. I'm running Torqued performance stage 2 and will be swapping up to Eric's "stage 3" tune. Which I know it's not really a stage 3 tune. Not much to add over fuel pump/Step one colder plug and ebcs and TMIC. he doesn't suggest bigger injectors even though it wouldn't hurt if you plan to go higher. Most guys depending on condition dyno around 300-320whp which is all I really want out of my DD.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kcwrxfan
    As referring to the tune and getting more HP. I'm running Torqued performance stage 2 and will be swapping up to Eric's "stage 3" tune. Which I know it's not really a stage 3 tune. Not much to add over fuel pump/Step one colder plug and ebcs and TMIC. he doesn't suggest bigger injectors even though it wouldn't hurt if you plan to go higher. Most guys depending on condition dyno around 300-320whp which is all I really want out of my DD.
    You're not going to be able to make the most out of the TMIC upgrade without upgraded fueling. As I said before, your injectors are likely pretty much maxed out now.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm running the PW and a Turbosmart bpv and there is no fitment issue with the product rubbing the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by WrxPower View Post
    I'm running the PW and a Turbosmart bpv and there is no fitment issue with the product rubbing the hood.
    What else did you upgrade?

I just installed mine two days ago no fitment issue at all. Just waiting to go to my local tune shop to get a better tune then the Cobb stage 2 hwg. I'm not looking to make huge whp gains just enough it is my daily driver.
    2013 WRX Premium SWP HB Stage 2
    1976 Corvette Stingray black
    2008 WRX Basic CBS HB TRADED IN
    2002 WRX Basic WRB SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kcwrxfan View Post
    What else did you upgrade?
    Well I'm running Eric's stage 3 map. I'm fully bolt on stage 2 with a cobb intake and I have upgraded my fuel pump (deatschwerks 65w) and one step colder plugs to support Eric's stage 3 map.

Well I'm running Eric's stage 3 map. I'm fully bolt on stage 2 with a cobb intake and I have upgraded my fuel pump (deatschwerks 65w) and one step colder plugs to support Eric's stage 3 map.

Is the deatschwerks 65w pump direct fit or do you need to do work around like the walbro?

Dude make a build thread with pictures. I want to see what all is done to your car. You seem to have gone a similar mod path to what I want to take...and I want to see your wheels better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast