Feedback on turbo-lag...

This is a discussion on Feedback on turbo-lag... within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright so I'm looking to upgrade from my stock intercooler on my 05' wrx. I know if I go front ...

Feedback on turbo-lag...

Alright so I'm looking to upgrade from my stock intercooler on my 05' wrx. I know if I go front mount I will experience some duller throttle response and more turbo lag but does anyone know how much more lag I should expect? Upgrades on my car include........ 3" turboback catless invidia exhaust, 650cc injectors, 255lph FP, VF48 sti turbo, k&n typhoon intake, grimspeed tgv delete's, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff lol but yea any feedback would be appreciated currently running 19lbs from the VF48 which is why.... I think I need a new IC lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Intercooler won't really effect lag, the biggest effect it will have is on transient boost response. How much of a difference is difficult to quantify.. I would say, it will have some amount of difference?

There's not really any need for you to run a FMIC, unless you drag race a lot.. competitively. A good TMIC will be more than sufficient for your setup.

Thanks for your quick reply MainFrame! I'm not much of a drag racer lol the main reason for my wanting to go front mount is to avoid heatsoak. I notice a large difference in performance with my car throughout the day as the temperature rises outside along with engine, exhaust, turbo heat constantly heating the TMIC and thought I could beat it with a FMIC :/ But a decent top mount is still definitely in my options all depending on feedback I get more than anything.

I Support ClubWRX
    That's likely due to IAT sensor being in the MAF housing. I would say that things like a turbo blanket and exhaust wrap along with a quality TMIC (and possibly a set of smaller primary ELH like Perrin) would suit you better than a FMIC for what you want.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Hmmm. That actually sounds like a very sensible idea and probably not extremely costly either :P thanks for the input! What is "ELH" though?? never heard that term before O_o

Quote Originally Posted by alex1992 View Post
    Hmmm. That actually sounds like a very sensible idea and probably not extremely costly either :P thanks for the input! What is "ELH" though?? never heard that term before O_o
    Equal length headers

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by alex1992
    Just be aware that you should NOT wrap any flex sections; that can lead to premature failure.

UNYSOC

Oh man thanks for the heads up lol never woulda thought of that! So maybe just wrap like the top portion of the down pipe as far as the exhaust goes?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by alex1992
    Oh man thanks for the heads up lol never woulda thought of that! So maybe just wrap like the top portion of the down pipe as far as the exhaust goes?
    There's no real reason to wrap beyond where the downpipe bends down beyond the firewall, unless you have spare wrap and just feel like doing it all. The main benefit of a downpipe wrap is the reduced radiant heat given off; you're not as concerned with exhaust velocity as much as pre-turbo exhaust components.

UNYSOC

Alright thanks again EJ! Great advice from a guy who obviously knows what he's talking about much appreciated!