occasional white smoke from hood and exhaust

This is a discussion on occasional white smoke from hood and exhaust within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What up, I just picked up a bugeye little over a week ago. I started noticing that it had some ...

occasional white smoke from hood and exhaust

What up,

I just picked up a bugeye little over a week ago. I started noticing that it had some white smoke coming out of the exhaust and through the hood. The place I got this car from told me that the motor was rebuilt and has roughly 15k on it and when it was rebuilt, they used JE pistons and o-rings. From what the guy that sold it to me is saying, this is common with JE products?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Usually shops will break in the motor for you, and even if they didn't, break in period wouldn't last for more than about 1,500 miles. Likely that they didn't seat the rings properly and oil is getting into your combustion. Or oil could be leaking down from the valves, or coming from the crankcase. Could many things.

When does it smoke? on Startup, constantly, under heavy acceleration?
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 08-24-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Even if there was a break in period 15k seems like a long time. Maybe they didn't seat the rings properly and oil is getting into your combustion. Or oil could be leaking down from the valves.

Does it smoke constantly? or just on startup/cold start?
    At first it was just a little bit when actually driving. Two times now it's been on cold start up that a large cloud of smoke comes from the exhaust.

If it's plain white smoke then it's probably just moisture in the exhaust, but I'm sure you would recognize that if it were.

Could be your valve seals. They'll leak oil while your engine is cold and when you start it up, puff, the oil is burned and blue smoke.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 08-24-2013 at 12:55 PM.

If it's plain white smoke then it's probably just moisture in the exhaust, but I'm sure you would recognize that if it were.

Could be your valve seals. They'll leak oil while your engine is cold and when you start it up, puff, the oil is burned and blue smoke.
    I haven't seen any blue smoke yet. Just pure white smoke. And the moisture in the exhaust thing I've heard before. He said it was happening on his vw when it was really humid outside. And when it dried up it stopped.

I'm assuming the white smoke coming from the hood is the same issue? It was coming from the same area as the turbo.

Easy things to do would be to make sure all the lines to the turbo are intact and not leaking. Take off the intercooler and see if there's excessive oil anywhere in the hoses. See if there's excessive oil in your breather hoses. Look for oil in the downpipe (would need a new gasket on hand though). Try to narrow down if it's the turbo or the motor.

It doesn't smell like coolant does it?

I've heard of built engines smoking before and it be normal.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 08-24-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Easy things to do would be to make sure all the lines to the turbo are intact and not leaking. Take off the intercooler and see if there's excessive oil anywhere in the hoses. See if there's excessive oil in your breather hoses.

It doesn't smell like coolant does it?

I've heard of built engines smoking before and it be normal.
    I haven't smelt any coolant at all.

Ill check all those and ill get back to ya.

Tim when we were driving it did smell like coolant
    2012 Wrx SWP Hatch-Traded
    2013 Limited ISM Hatch -Current

Quote Originally Posted by Dzanga View Post
    Tim when we were driving it did smell like coolant
    Oh. well, I didn't smell anything. We can check it when you get back or something.

Hmm. I'd love it if it was just a loose hose clamp under hood. I had one near my turbo that i actually wound up replacing a small line and new hose clamps from the upper coolant tank. Out the tailpipe though? I can think of a couple reasons. Better make sure your loosing coolant first, your overfill tank would be emptying quickly if so. Hoping its as humid there and your burning off moisture in the air!
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    Hmm. I'd love it if it was just a loose hose clamp under hood. I had one near my turbo that i actually wound up replacing a small line and new hose clamps from the upper coolant tank. Out the tailpipe though? I can think of a couple reasons. Better make sure your loosing coolant first, your overfill tank would be emptying quickly if so. Hoping its as humid there and your burning off moisture in the air!
    I've been keeping an eye on the overfill tank. And I'm not really seeing a difference in the fluid levels. Ill keep checking it though.

Yup. Mine lost coolant only when I wasn't looking lol. I'd forget to check one day and smell coolant in the cabin, presto(prestone?) I'd be short a quart or so. Never saw a leak until I found it by accident doing another repair in the same area. Well...that one anyway. The dealer that changer t belt and water pump forgot to tighten the lower hose clamps all the way. Found at a gas station and fixed with a leatherman micro. Only tool I had....
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    Yup. Mine lost coolant only when I wasn't looking lol. I'd forget to check one day and smell coolant in the cabin, presto(prestone?) I'd be short a quart or so. Never saw a leak until I found it by accident doing another repair in the same area. Well...that one anyway. The dealer that changer t belt and water pump forgot to tighten the lower hose clamps all the way. Found at a gas station and fixed with a leatherman micro. Only tool I had....
    Lol nice. Man. But that's the thing I haven't smelled coolant at all. Idk if my buddy actually smelled coolant or not. He told me he thought he did but yeah.