Settle an argument for me?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Settle an argument for me? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so I have 2.5in exhaust all the way back. I found a nice muffler w/tip that has a 2.25 ...

Registered User ClosetSubyLover's Avatar

Settle an argument for me?

Ok so I have 2.5in exhaust all the way back. I found a nice muffler w/tip that has a 2.25 inlet that opens up into a 2.5 main core.

If I get one of those reducers you find at the autoparts store where the reduced section is only like an inch long, am I gonna be creating a noticeable restriction for my car?

I have a Stage 2 COBB AP map flashed to it so im running a little higher boost and a buddy of mine is claiming Ill drop noticeable PSI from that couple inches of the inlet hole + reducer.

Jw if he's gonna be saving me some money or if I know I can make a safe purchase and wont have to go through the hassle of sending things back

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Highly doubt you will feel or create a noticeable restriction...not that far back in the exhaust and only .25 inches difference in diameter.

Just for reference I ran a 2.5" catted stock muffler and midpipe with a 3'' downpipe, a larger restricition than you. I now have a full 3'' catless exhaust with a straight thru muffler. I don't notice any difference, not with the Cobb tune at least. What made the difference was the downpipe. Catbacks really have no effect on performance unless you're past stage 2 level mods, most gains are rather arbitrary with our power levels and with my new catback I could've tuned for a couple more horsepower, maybe 5-7Hp? It's really just for sound at this point.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 08-22-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Highly doubt you will feel or create a noticeable restriction...not that far back in the exhaust and only .25 inches difference in diameter.

Just for reference I ran a 2.5" catted stock muffler and midpipe with a 3'' downpipe, a larger restricition than you. I now have a full 3'' catless exhaust with a straight thru muffler. I don't notice any difference, not with the Cobb tune at least. What made the difference was the downpipe. Catbacks really have no effect on performance unless you're past stage 2 level mods, most gains are rather arbitrary with our power levels and with my new catback I could've tuned for a couple more horsepower, maybe 5-7Hp? It's really just for sound.
    Yeah thats exactly my exhaust setup I have now. Cat-Less 3in DP into a 2.5in all the way back...

Like I hate to keep repeating myself but if you were in my situation, this wouldnt bother you? There's a link below to what I was gonna get if it helps clear up anything for whoever else is lookin at this.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14832/overview/
    Last edited by ClosetSubyLover; 08-21-2013 at 08:30 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Smallest I would run is a 2.5". The system as a whole matters once you upgrade the down pipe.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Especially when you start putting down more power, the catback starts to matter more and more
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much every bolt on besides a bigger turbo.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    this wouldnt bother you?
    It would bother me to have it reduce that small, yes. I would look for a muffler at least 2.5''

You're looking for an upgrade so I would say at least go the minimum 2.5 diameter. However, is that 2.25 diameter reduction more restrictive than the stock muffler and cats?...I dont know. I still wouldn't do it though. It kind of defeats the purpose of an upgrade in my opinion.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 08-22-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    It would bother me to have it reduce that small, yes. I would look for a muffler at least 2.5''

You're looking for an upgrade so I would say at least go the minimum 2.5 diameter. However, is that 2.25 diameter reduction more restrictive than the stock muffler and cats?...I dont know. I still wouldn't do it though. It kind of defeats the purpose of an upgrade in my opinion.
    Ok thats kind of the answer I was looking for. Im probably gonna end up getting a 3in CBE later on down the road but for now since its fine the way it is I figure a muffler to help the sound is all im really looking at. Plus with the muffler Im getting it'll be a little less restrictive than the one on there now.

After seeing these responses and talking to a buddy of mine its safe to say that you guys saved me about $120 so +1 for that. I woulda been kinda pissed to find this out after I had it in my hands.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.