Measurements for strut covers

This is a discussion on Measurements for strut covers within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, got a request from my cousin in another state to cnc machine him up a set of strut ...

Measurements for strut covers

Hey guys, got a request from my cousin in another state to cnc machine him up a set of strut covers inside the engine bay and after asking him for the measurements he admitted that he doesn't know how to measure! Was wondering if someone could take the time out to measure and post or pm me regarding measurements and in return I'd be willing to post the first set off the machine to the person who can take the time out.
    Life's not a one way street!

The car is a 98 model but I'd also like to hear from the guys with the newer version also.
    Cheers look forward to getting a response.
    Maxi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What exactly do you mean by "strut covers"? We talking strut top spacers, strut tower reinforcement plates, little cups to cover the strut top nut (not the top hat nuts)?
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    What exactly do you mean by "strut covers"? We talking strut top spacers, strut tower reinforcement plates, little cups to cover the strut top nut (not the top hat nuts)?
    basically he wants me to cnc a little dome cover that fits around the painted lip on the strut tower,so just inside the bolts, (so the body of the car) ,that extends up and over the top of the strut assembly.
    He directed me to some on ebay that appear to just be a piece of stainless cut out and the cover appears to have tabs for the bolts.
    He wants a set that slips around the lip on the body and goes up and over the black section of the strut assembly in a dome shape if that all makes sense.
    Also showed me some holden commodore ones that made me realise exactly what he was after.

I have not looked physically at these cars in the flesh but my understanding from looking at pictures is I need the measurement on the outside of the lip on the body (side to side) in mm and also the depth, so a measurement from the base around the lip enough to clear the top of the assembly.

From that point it would be a dab of silicone or double sided tape on the underside of the domed top to hold it down to the assembly.

From my description I guess it sounds very complicated but its only the 2 measurements im after and then I can design a set up in cad/cam software and punch them out for him and an extra set for the help.
    If I can't manage to find someone to measure this for me I may just give it a miss until a time where i can put a tape on it and take the measurements myself as there is no real rush.

cheers mate

I guess its just for looks! Maybe its the top hat cover,nothing structural. I see his point when I viewed them and they did look better then the black top assembly.
    cheers again

So if I'm understanding correctly, you want the measurement of across the metal lip that comes up the sides of the top hat center (black rubber piece with a rubber plug)?
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

I'd measure mine for you, but I won't because I can't. Sure someone on here has a slide caliper to measure it and measure theirs.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

yeah your spot on there!
    Need a general measurement! it don't have to be with caliper but that would be preferred.
    I guess a piece of string around the bottom painted lip and then laid flat on a ruler would work for a circumfrence measurement that i could work out the distance across.
    Basically from that point all i will need is the height of that rubber part and again this could be rough, but obviously a measurement slightly bigger would be acceptable for what I'm doing but to small would be a no no.

I guess now it's been confirmed what I need, who wants a set fresh off the machine?

Cheers much appreciated :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Terrorturbo View Post
    yeah your spot on there!
    Need a general measurement! it don't have to be with caliper but that would be preferred.
    I guess a piece of string around the bottom painted lip and then laid flat on a ruler would work for a circumfrence measurement that i could work out the distance across.
    Basically from that point all i will need is the height of that rubber part and again this could be rough, but obviously a measurement slightly bigger would be acceptable for what I'm doing but to small would be a no no.

I guess now it's been confirmed what I need, who wants a set fresh off the machine?

Cheers much appreciated :-)
    No, it's not a can't as I don't have the right tools, I have calipers at home, but I'm not there, so I can't measure anything for you. Sorry bud, hopefully someone else can hook you up off here. Good luck!
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    No, it's not a can't as I don't have the right tools, I have calipers at home, but I'm not there, so I can't measure anything for you. Sorry bud, hopefully someone else can hook you up off here. Good luck!
    Ahh it's all good buddy! Just figured I'd make my life easy before I go and track one down myself locally.
    But I guess with over 60 views on the thread that there would have been someone that would be willing to help someone out..

I hope I still get a reply on this.

bump it up! cmon guys somebody must have a measurement they can trade for a nice set of cnc strut covers

I have calipers at home, should be able to give you measurements this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTION View Post
    I have calipers at home, should be able to give you measurements this evening.
    Cheers Motion your a champion.
    Also when you do this inbox me your name and address for posting the covers out to you.
    Look forward to hearing back

got the measurements fellas so all good! Looking forward to posting a few pics up of the finished product
    Thanks