Realistic MPG's and tuning for mileage?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Realistic MPG's and tuning for mileage? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I'm still on the hunt for a WRX... And I'm working some things out. A question that came up ...

Realistic MPG's and tuning for mileage?

So I'm still on the hunt for a WRX... And I'm working some things out. A question that came up in my mind is MPG's.

Realistically, what's the best kind of mileage could I expect from a 2004 wrx (in sound mechanical condition)? I am very competent with a manual trans and (occasionally) I can keep my foot out of it lol.

Split the mileage 50/50 city/highway for simplicity.

That said, what kind of mileage do YOU get, with mild mods, and "spirited" driving?

Help/insight appreciated!
    Aspiring WRX owner!
    '04 Explorer XLT 4x4 (Selling)
    '12 Kawasaki Ninja 650 (The DD)
    '11 Husqvarna TE250i

Searching for a WRX for sale!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

On my 02 wagon I got roughly 32-33 MPG driving from WA to CO. I had a stage 2 OTS (Accessport) tune with catless TB, catless UP, Cobb SF, and some suspension work (the only reason I mention the suspension work is that it changed the vehicle profile so therefore changed the wind resistance characteristics). Around town I averaged mid 20s, but I am a very spirited driver.

Ok those are definitely good numbers. I'll be happy if I can stay 23mpg+ to be honest. I do mostly city driving now which sucks... wonderful DC for you... But my commute is so short distance wize that it doesn't really matter.

Yeah that's no issue. Keep in mind boosting eats gas! I still avg 18mpg in my 2011 wrx running e85 and I drive like anyone that loves torque..

Yeah that's going to be new for me. Previous to this (future) WRX, I had all big motor/small body cars. Making power right out of the gate. I've always wanted boost though, specifically a turbo haha. It'll just take some adjusting.
    Aspiring WRX owner!
    '11 Husqvarna TE250i

Quote Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
    So I'm still on the hunt for a WRX... And I'm working some things out. A question that came up in my mind is MPG's.

Realistically, what's the best kind of mileage could I expect from a 2004 wrx (in sound mechanical condition)? I am very competent with a manual trans and (occasionally) I can keep my foot out of it lol.

Split the mileage 50/50 city/highway for simplicity.

That said, what kind of mileage do YOU get, with mild mods, and "spirited" driving?

Help/insight appreciated!
    Many of these threads have existed over the years. There are a lot of factors in seems, and reports are all anecdotal so take them for what their worth. For example:

Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    On my 02 wagon I got roughly 32-33 MPG driving from WA to CO. I had a stage 2 OTS (Accessport) tune with catless TB, catless UP, Cobb SF, and some suspension work (the only reason I mention the suspension work is that it changed the vehicle profile so therefore changed the wind resistance characteristics). Around town I averaged mid 20s, but I am a very spirited driver.
    While I don't doubt that averaging 25/32 is possible, and I have seen others report similar numbers, I wouldn't bank on being able to get those same numbers. For every person I've seen report numbers like that, I've seen just as many (or more) who report that they can't get over low 20s in mixed driving to save their life. I include myself in that, I was thrilled this past fill-up to calculate a sweet 22 mpgs!

I think the problem is that everyone's driving circumstances and styles are so different, it's tough to generalize.

I will say this, if the cost difference for gas between 20 mpg and 25 mpg is the make it or break it part of the ol "can I afford this" calculations...you may want to consider a different car. I would never recommend to anyone that gas mileage/budget is a big concern for to buy one of these cars.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Understood. It's not a concern at all budget wise, I just like to know my numbers. I'm very particular about my expenditures
    Aspiring WRX owner!
    '11 Husqvarna TE250i

Its a sad day when I agree that if I see 22mpg when i fill up im happy. I have to shift at 2-2.5k so see any type of decent mpg. Good thing my commute to work is only 15 mins or this car would not have been an option.

It's pretty simple: power comes from air and gas getting burned. the more power we want the more air and fuel it takes. When the turbo goes to work and actively PUMPS air into the engine the corresponding amount of fuel gets injected. Hence the need for larger fuel pump and injectors when going to larger turbos and such. There is NO free power. However, when running without boost we have a small 4-banger, 2.0 or 2.5 liter, and that runs fairly cheap. Once under boost it acts as if it was a large volume engine and takes fuel accordingly. I like the "dynamically changing" engine "size" for that. Cars with big engines just can't run cheap, ever, even in idle. Of course weight plays a big role, too.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

given that he is talking about an 04 WRX, I think he can garner better numbers than our newer rex's. Like I said, I am happy to see 18 MPG at fill up on my 11, but I live in the mountains and use E85. 20lbs of boost doesn't help either. even in my 02 though, I only got in the teens at best under heavy boost. if you get an AP, you can always load the fuel economy map when you are commuting or wanting to stay conservative. But who the heck wants to do that?!?

Thanks for the info fellas. I am aware of the mechanics, at least I have a better understanding than most

So I get that once you're in boost you're going to be pushing "oodles" more fuel (and air) into the engine.

I'm not going to say that I will, but I do have the ability to stay out of boost and drive in a very economical fashion.

The reason I like to hear numbers is that having a "target" from others gives me a challenge to chase. That challenge is my best motivation to keep the aggressive driving to a minimum. Otherwise I'm WOT and sideways 75% of the time

I'm not new to tuning, but haven't looked into plug-and-play style tuners at all yet. What would be a decent option that could accommodate an economy tune, and also allow me to adjust for light mods? Such as intake/TBE/maybe downpipe/etc.

To be frank, I haven't looked at mods at all for this car yet. Which is odd, because I've wanted one for a long time now and usually I have a 3 page list of add-ons before I even pick a new car up haha.

All the responses are much appreciated! I had a few forums I was looking to join when I settled on a WRX, glad I decided on this one
    Aspiring WRX owner!
    '11 Husqvarna TE250i

given that he is talking about an 04 WRX, I think he can garner better numbers than our newer rex's. Like I said, I am happy to see 18 MPG at fill up on my 11, but I live in the mountains and use E85. 20lbs of boost doesn't help either. even in my 02 though, I only got in the teens at best under heavy boost. if you get an AP, you can always load the fuel economy map when you are commuting or wanting to stay conservative. But who the heck wants to do that?!?
    What makes you say that an older model should get better numbers than a newer one? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
    Thanks for the info fellas. I am aware of the mechanics, at least I have a better understanding than most

So I get that once you're in boost you're going to be pushing "oodles" more fuel (and air) into the engine.

I'm not going to say that I will, but I do have the ability to stay out of boost and drive in a very economical fashion.

The reason I like to hear numbers is that having a "target" from others gives me a challenge to chase. That challenge is my best motivation to keep the aggressive driving to a minimum. Otherwise I'm WOT and sideways 75% of the time

I'm not new to tuning, but haven't looked into plug-and-play style tuners at all yet. What would be a decent option that could accommodate an economy tune, and also allow me to adjust for light mods? Such as intake/TBE/maybe downpipe/etc.

To be frank, I haven't looked at mods at all for this car yet. Which is odd, because I've wanted one for a long time now and usually I have a 3 page list of add-ons before I even pick a new car up haha.

All the responses are much appreciated! I had a few forums I was looking to join when I settled on a WRX, glad I decided on this one
    Check out the link in my sig for a place to start reading. If you want to learn more about the different ways to change the tune on your car, check out the engine management sub-forum stickies for more details.
    - Will

Smaller turbo, smaller motor. I noticed better stock numbers in my experiences with both.

Smaller turbo, smaller motor. I noticed better stock numbers in my experiences with both.
    Gotcha. After I posted I went and looked at the EPA estimates out of curiosity, and lo and behold they were a bit higher for the older models. Go figure!
    - Will

yeah. I wonder if avcs takes away from the mpg. I love my avcs...suck it vtec!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast