Realistic MPG's and tuning for mileage? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Realistic MPG's and tuning for mileage? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thanks, I've checked out a lot of your posts and others regarding purchasing/modding/etc. One of the few forum users that ...

Thanks, I've checked out a lot of your posts and others regarding purchasing/modding/etc. One of the few forum users that actually gives the search bar some exercise haha.

Tons of great info in here!
    Aspiring WRX owner!
    '04 Explorer XLT 4x4 (Selling)
    '12 Kawasaki Ninja 650 (The DD)
    '11 Husqvarna TE250i

Searching for a WRX for sale!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Economy tunes are a joke. Any decent tuner will tell you that. All it does is remove the ability to use power to get you out of a situation, if needed. Most economy tunes do little other than neuter your ability to build boost, which can be achieved just as easily with your right foot. Say you start to enter a roadway and realize you didn't have enough space. Everyone has done it. Now, your only avoidance to receiving unwanted automotive buttsex is to floor it; but wait...your tuner set you up with a neutered map. Enjoy being without a car, dealing with insurance, and any legal battles that may arise.

To elaborate a bit...

I can set the car up with three different tunes. A typical tune for Subarus that provides as much area under the curve as I can get, a middle-ground tune with a flat torque curve, and an economy tune focused on keeping you from entering boost (which will be the biggest killer to MPGs on a forced-induction car). There is honestly no need for the additional time/money to be invested, as all three situations can be accomplished solely by the driver (using their right foot); whereas the tune removes the ability of the driver to override it, if they want/need.

Boost is controlled by throttle input; whether it's a 2D table of RPM vs Throttle or RPM vs Requested Torque (DBW tables use throttle input). There may be other things a tuner can do to help with improving MPGs with the tune like altering the CL fueling target and/or altering timing (ignition/cam), but neither will provide the results for improved mileage as maintaining the car in vacuum (keeping it out of boost).
    Last edited by EJ257; 08-08-2013 at 06:28 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

So what you're saying, is that if I was looking for economy, my best bet would be simple supporting mods and the "driver" mod?

Sounds good to me.
    Aspiring WRX owner!
    '11 Husqvarna TE250i

No doubt. Look at the Eco boost motor. It has great fuel economy and great power. Why? The same reason we can make 10mpg or 25 mpg depending on the driving style. Took the domestic market long enough...lol. If u want a mix of power and fuel economy boost is the way to go. Thx for the info EJ257, I didn't know that about the economy maps...but then again I have never used them

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Matticus91
    So what you're saying, is that if I was looking for economy, my best bet would be simple supporting mods and the "driver" mod?

Sounds good to me.
    If you want better fuel economy, the driver mod is the best thing you can do.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Yeah lots of problems with that ecoboost lately though
    Aspiring WRX owner!
    '11 Husqvarna TE250i

best so far was ~30mpg highway, and i can consistently get ~26mpg daily driving on my 02 wrx. Just bought a boost gauge so i can use that to stay out of boost...minus well of got just a vacuum gauge lol.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

So it seems I'll likely be getting an 06 rather than an 04 now hahaha..
    Aspiring WRX owner!
    '11 Husqvarna TE250i

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12