Benefit of upgrading fuel pump on '12 WRX?

This is a discussion on Benefit of upgrading fuel pump on '12 WRX? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Months ago I installed an Invidia DP, Forge BPV, and had a ProTune done. Since that time I have added ...

Benefit of upgrading fuel pump on '12 WRX?

Months ago I installed an Invidia DP, Forge BPV, and had a ProTune done. Since that time I have added a Process West TMIC and am now installing an Invidia Q300 exhaust, GrimmSpeed 3 port boost control, AEM CAI, then having it retuned. My question is, would I benefit performance-wise by installing a DW65c fuel pump? Would my tuner be able to "do more" with the car? I am not planning to upgrade injectors at this time. I tried researching this question but have had no luck. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I wouldn't think that u would get anymore power out of an upgraded fuel pump without new injectors because the stock injectors are bottlenecking your fuel system. That being said, fuel pumps are cheap and super easy to install. I use the DW65c and love it. It's also a good supporting and peace of mind mod. Fuel pump failure can lead to a bad day. One of the tuners on this forum may have more insight. Glwb!

I Support ClubWRX
    Can't hurt, unless ya get a bad fuel pump. Most people upgrade their fuel pump around your levels. I haven't yet, personally.

If you are going for a pro-tune, however, I'd get one. Your tuner may recommend larger injectors as well at that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

The reason I ask is at this point I really need to put the money elsewhere if there is no real benefit. I don't plan on doing injectors or turbo upgrade for a while.

Talk to your tuner. If you really don't want to spend the $160ish for a new pump then don't. IMO you are safe if on stock injectors. But like Heide said, your tuner will likely recommend bigger injectors. I wouldn't bother with the EBCS and retune yet, especially if u are trying to save money. ID 1000s plus DW65c =roughly $750. IMO it's worth it if you are spending the money on a retune, more worth it than $900+ on the Q300 which you won't need (I have 301/335 to wheels on stock cb). But it's all about personal flavor. Do what makes you an you alone happy.

I Support ClubWRX
    FWIW...I prefer one, but don't require it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    FWIW...I prefer one, but don't require it.
    Without getting too technical, can you tell me from a tuner's perspective why you prefer a fuel pump upgrade in a situation similar to mine. Thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethKeith
    Without getting too technical, can you tell me from a tuner's perspective why you prefer a fuel pump upgrade in a situation similar to mine. Thanks
    Insurance
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Insurance
    +1

May be lessen the chances of kaboom

Quote Originally Posted by jsBLwrx View Post
    +1

May be lessen the chances of kaboom
    Thanks. I was thinking in terms of performance but it did not occur to me that it would help insure against an overstressing or failure situation of some type.

if you get the DW65c here's a great DIY write-up

New DW65c Fuel Pump step-by-step install - NASIOC

Quote Originally Posted by KennethKeith View Post
    Thanks. I was thinking in terms of performance but it did not occur to me that it would help insure against an overstressing or failure situation of some type.
    Your list of mods would likely result in significant increse of air intake

Upgrading the fp to a higher flow unit will be a) an insurance against "lean air to fuel " ratio b) detonation (uncontrolled compression cumbustion as in a diesel motor and c) which will result in a catastrophic "kabbom " of the motor when the lean condition induced detonations are left unchecked

Plus if you are planning on additional power mods in the future, definitely consult your tuner for a proper selection of the fp to meet you next stage of mods

GL and don't forget what the mods could do to your tranny and the awd system - these components need to be beefed up as well

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are planning on doing more mods down the road do it. Once you get your injectors installed (eventually) it will ensure adequate fuel will be able to be delivered to feed the beast when you up the ante on the tune.

More fuel pump questions:

How many lph is the stock fuel pump ('12 WRX) rated for?

How many cc are the stock injectors?

If I were to buy the DW65c, what size injectors should one purchase keeping in mind that a Blousch 20G-xtr will likely be installed in the future?

Thanks

I would say at minimum 1000cc. Bigger if u plan on E85. Stock injectors are 565cc not sure about fuel pump. I think around 110lph, where the dw65c is 265lph. Search for someone running that turbo and see what they are running or ask your tuner.
    Last edited by Miggs; 08-07-2013 at 08:51 AM.