Stage 2 Plans

This is a discussion on Stage 2 Plans within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; First just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum. You've all been helpful with research and planning, whether ...

Stage 2 Plans

First just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum. You've all been helpful with research and planning, whether it be great technical knowledge or asking those less informed questions that I would have asked myself.

Now I want to pick your brains for my own personal gains. I have a stock 2012 sedan and love it. Now my plans for stage 2 are near at hand. My goal is to get a good 300-315 crank hp (265-280 bhp?) and I want to do it as economically but reliably as possible, ie: I want to make smart modifications rather than waste $$$ on unnecessary improvements.

Here was my original list (all items used if possible):

AEM CAI
    Catted DP - used if possible
    Borla CBE
    Cobb AP - new version for the digital gauges and fun stuff

After more research and reading your builds I've decided to not do the CBE and put the $1k elsewhere. New list:

AEM CAI
    Catted DP
    Cobb AP - new version for the digital gauges and fun stuff
    3-port EBCS
    TMIC
    Possible move into an EWG?
    Pro-tune eventually (hard with my location)

Any advice, suggestions, tips? I feel this will get me to a happy place.

Thanks for your continued help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For those numbers I think a simple downpipe and AcessPort protune will get u to your goal

I set out with a similar goal in mind... Check out my page. It cost about $4,000 after tunes

cheapest way is
    catless dp~$250
    TP tune~$85
    Tactrix Openport dongle dealio OBD2 port thing~$170
    so like~$500 total

but thats just the absolute cheapest route to stage 2.

the only reason i mention TP instead of the Cobb AP(I use a Cobb AP and i highly recommend them) is since you say a protune is hard in your area. it might be easier to work with Torqued Performance if you have issues with the tune. they can usually help you if you upload your data logs and they will tweak the map and send it back to you. not sure if Cobb does this or not

id recommend spending a little more and getting a catted downpipe like you mentioned already. your not losing any power with a modern high flow cat and your doing a solid one for mother nature by using it. plus your friends wont complain that you stink lol

overall id say your list looks good, but the TMIC, 3-port BCS and EWG push you outside of whats considered "stage 2" not sure if thats considered a "stage 2.5" or a "stage 3" but its a little beyond your everyday stage 2. and you'll need a protune for the BCS and EWG. also if your trying to be economical you could probably drop the TMIC upgrade until you upgrade the turbo. hp gain is negligible and the $1000 pricetag for a good brand one isnt usually worth it until your making big hp numbers

EDIT:
    heres some links to some of the more economical ways to go stage 2
    Tactrix 2.0
    http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?opt...hk=1&Itemid=53
    TP Tune
    http://torquedperformance.com/2013-W...e-TP13STG2.htm
    Downpipes
    http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Downpipe-and-Y-Pipe
    Last edited by EndlessSea; 08-05-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    I set out with a similar goal in mind... Check out my page. It cost about $4,000 after tunes
    Thanks Miggs. I looked at your build. I can see where these mods jump in price quickly. Curious, how much of that total was protuning?

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    cheapest way is
    catless dp~$250
    TP tune~$85
    Tactrix Openport dongle dealio OBD2 port thing~$170
    so like~$500 total
    Thanks for the advice Endless. And I agree about the catted DP. I live near hwy 9 which is where a lot of y rides and drives are and it would be a huge fire hazard, plus I wanted to avoid boost issues with catless.

As far as AP, I mostly want the new version for the digital gauges, this way when the GF is in the car or I'm just DD I don't have the boost or AFR stuff, but when I want them I can. A little more subtle to me, but I also like the gauges Tanker had in his build post. But the tactrix cable and open source are worth consideration. And I have read great reviews about TP's tuning.

So as far as the TMIC I will put that on the back burner, but the ebcs isn't very helpful at this stage? Ill assume unless I am having boost control issue this is better used with upgraded turbo you were mentioning and higher target boost?

Quote Originally Posted by BBDGriptonia View Post
    Thanks Miggs. I looked at your build. I can see where these mods jump in price quickly. Curious, how much of that total was protuning?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	115486

Quote Originally Posted by BBDGriptonia View Post
    Thanks for the advice Endless. And I agree about the catted DP. I live near hwy 9 which is where a lot of y rides and drives are and it would be a huge fire hazard, plus I wanted to avoid boost issues with catless.

As far as AP, I mostly want the new version for the digital gauges, this way when the GF is in the car or I'm just DD I don't have the boost or AFR stuff, but when I want them I can. A little more subtle to me, but I also like the gauges Tanker had in his build post. But the tactrix cable and open source are worth consideration. And I have read great reviews about TP's tuning.

So as far as the TMIC I will put that on the back burner, but the ebcs isn't very helpful at this stage? Ill assume unless I am having boost control issue this is better used with upgraded turbo you were mentioning and higher target boost?
    If you get ebcs you will need a protune.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

It all depends on your goals (as far as the EBCS and top mount). The stock top mount would have been impossible with my goals and tune, and even if u tune more conservatively than I did u wont like the heat soak from the stockers lack of efficiency. Even after hard runs, my PW TMIC is nice and cool, I love it. I can't speak from experience on the heat soak on the stock IC because that was one of the first mods I ordered, but I remember it on my 02 wrx. Start small of you are unsure, and begin with items that don't require a retune. I made mistakes with my 02 and have learned from them; not a single cent was spent on my current build that didn't go to something crucial to my goals (present or future). Remember, buy nice or do it twice...with modding u often get what u pay for.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    with modding u never get what u don't pay for.
    I liked the last line of your post with the above mod.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I liked the last line of your post with the above mod.
    +1