eBay TMIC questions...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on eBay TMIC questions... within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2003 WRX stock turbo. I would like to get an eBay TMIC. I've heard great reviews about them, I've found ...

eBay TMIC questions...

2003 WRX stock turbo. I would like to get an eBay TMIC. I've heard great reviews about them, I've found a couple good deals & my stock TMIC is in really bad condition. I'm currently running a V7 scoop with the stock splitter. So, what kind of splitter would I need to acquire to run an larger TMIC? Or could I run the stock one? Also, do I have to purchase the y-pipe with the TMIC or can I use my stock one?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    eBayTMIC? I wouldn't. Do you know the reviews are legitimate? How much is the good deal?

A good TMIC costs $ and time to build properly. An STi take off would be good choice.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    A good TMIC costs $ and time to build properly. An STi take off would be good choice.
    +1

While a bit larger than you'd need right now, a Process West intercooler will also come with a compatible splitter. For any other aftermarket splitter that doesn't offer a matching splitter (such as ebay brands), custom fab work will probably be needed to make one or modify the stock one.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Not worth it for the reasons our esteemed colleagues above stated. So much ebay stuff now days are such questionable quality and craftsmanship, not to mention stolen R&D and designs. They don't deserve any of our hard earned money.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Not sure if I have ever been referred to as esteemed.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Run far far away
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    They offer lower pressure drop than stock, but they don't cool the air charge worth a damn. The least expensive TMICs right now that are worth anything would be either the TurboXS (who all the eBay companies knocked off) or Grimmspeed.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Looks like I'll go with an STi tmic. So, what splitter would I need to run that? A stock STi one?

yes. get new silicone hoses (especially the Y pipe) and t-clamps also.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    +1

While a bit larger than you'd need right now, a Process West intercooler will also come with a compatible splitter. For any other aftermarket splitter that doesn't offer a matching splitter (such as ebay brands), custom fab work will probably be needed to make one or modify the stock one.
    +1

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    Run far far away

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by emericareaper2
    Looks like I'll go with an STi tmic. So, what splitter would I need to run that? A stock STi one?
    Unless you can get it for a steal (e.g., $150 or less), I wouldn't bother. They really aren't that much of an upgrade.

UNYSOC

That's the plan. The main reason why I'm gettting one is because my original one is disgusting right now. The fins are all bent, it has a big dent in it & I figured I'd just find an STi one sometime soon.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by emericareaper2
    That's the plan. The main reason why I'm gettting one is because my original one is disgusting right now. The fins are all bent, it has a big dent in it & I figured I'd just find an STi one sometime soon.
    Again, make sure you get one for a steal, because you can find quality used ones in the $350-400 range (or less), and will be able to tune the car for more boost and/or timing over an OE variant (WRX or STI) with the same safety margin.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Again, make sure you get one for a steal, because you can find quality used ones in the $350-400 range (or less), and will be able to tune the car for more boost and/or timing over an OE variant (WRX or STI) with the same safety margin.
    Yeah, I really don't want to be spending $350ish on a part I really don't "need". I've came across a couple that are for $175ish every great now & then. Just have to be patient!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.