eBay TMIC questions... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on eBay TMIC questions... within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What are your goals? Simply to fix the car (preventive maintenance) or to upgrade for future mods? If u have ...

What are your goals? Simply to fix the car (preventive maintenance) or to upgrade for future mods? If u have any possibility of power increase goals, I would take EJ257's advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    What are your goals? Simply to fix the car (preventive maintenance) or to upgrade for future mods? If u have any possibility of power increase goals, I would take EJ257's advice.
    The car is currently stage 2 opensource tuned. I wanted to get a new TMIC as mine is just in really bad condition. I also really wanted to upgrade the TMIC & an STi one would be a good choice. And speaking of finding a good deal on one, just found on on Craigslist for $175 about 30 mins from me! Y-pipes also!!!!

Cool man congrats.

Hahaa thanks for the assistance guys! I'm really starting to like this forum

Quote Originally Posted by emericareaper2 View Post
    The car is currently stage 2 opensource tuned. I wanted to get a new TMIC as mine is just in really bad condition. I also really wanted to upgrade the TMIC & an STi one would be a good choice. And speaking of finding a good deal on one, just found on on Craigslist for $175 about 30 mins from me! Y-pipes also!!!!
    I guess you missed the part where EJ257 said that an STI TMIC, while an improvement over a damaged stocker, actually isn't a major improvement for performance over the stock one...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It offers about 15% more thermal mass. This will help with charge cooling but not with the pressure drop.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I guess you missed the part where EJ257 said that an STI TMIC, while an improvement over a damaged stocker, actually isn't a major improvement for performance over the stock one...
    The OP stated that he was trying to spend little. I would rather have a STi tmic than an eBay one. Those seemed to be his choices.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by emericareaper2
    Yeah, I really don't want to be spending $350ish on a part I really don't "need". I've came across a couple that are for $175ish every great now & then. Just have to be patient!
    Sorry, I was referring to good quality aftermarket ones for $350-400 (used). I wouldn't spend more than $150 on an STI one.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I picked up that STi one today for $175! In really good condition too. Came with the y-pipe & bpv. Now, will I be able to use my stock WRX splitter? Or do I need to get an STi one?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by emericareaper2
    I picked up that STi one today for $175! In really good condition too. Came with the y-pipe & bpv. Now, will I be able to use my stock WRX splitter? Or do I need to get an STi one?
    You can use the WRX one, but it won't let air flow over the entire core. Your best bet is to get an STI one.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by emericareaper2 View Post
    Without an STi splitter, you will not be able to take advantage of the increased charge cooling mass.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Somebody did a comparison a while ago with an eBay intercooler and name brand (don't remember which one) and the eBay one had significantly less airflow and less cooling as well.
    2013 WRX sedan - Cobb AP / Cobb SF (w/box) / Invidia N1 race / Invidia DP / Perrin BPV / GTspec equal length headers / TP tune

Quote Originally Posted by elblanco1987 View Post
    Somebody did a comparison a while ago with an eBay intercooler and name brand (don't remember which one) and the eBay one had significantly less airflow and less cooling as well.
    I would imagine that's to be expected considering the cheap price, cheap build quality, and lack of R&D...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12