If you have a bigger turbo...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on If you have a bigger turbo... within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Did your mpg go up when crusing on the highway? I've heard some guys say that it helped their mileage ...

If you have a bigger turbo...

Did your mpg go up when crusing on the highway? I've heard some guys say that it helped their mileage by a few points. Any input?
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u
    Did your mpg go up when crusing on the highway? I've heard some guys say that it helped their mileage by a few points. Any input?
    Being in boost will cause your mileage to drop. A larger turbo will be in boost less often than a smaller one.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Mine has stayed relatively the same from td04 to vf22 to 20g. It went up after porting the throttle body, intake manifold, TGVs, and installing +1mm valves. I know how to drive with a light foot, so it's not a problem staying out of boost regardless of what turbo I have on it.

I would expect now with the GTX35r my mileage is going to decrease some, but that will be because of the cams and head porting, not the turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Being in boost will cause your mileage to drop. A larger turbo will be in boost less often than a smaller one.
    So it doesn't decrease engine load since it's bigger and helps the engine do more with less effort?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    So it doesn't decrease engine load since it's bigger and helps the engine do more with less effort?

No.. if you're mashing the gas enough to spool a bigger turbo then you're going to be using more fuel. Bigger turbo, more air, more fuel.. but if you don't hit the gas hard enough to get into boost then it doesn't matter much what size your turbo is.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    No.. if you're mashing the gas enough to spool a bigger turbo then you're going to be using more fuel. Bigger turbo, more air, more fuel.. but if you don't hit the gas hard enough to get into boost then it doesn't matter much what size your turbo is.
    Hmmm, ok.. I had a few people tell me it can help with mpg. I don't have the money for it, but thought it would be an interesting discussion.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.