Stage 2 deletes: Why?
Results 1 to 15 of 15

This is a discussion on Stage 2 deletes: Why? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone, I have just about saved up my goal for my stage 2. I am always looking here and ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Posts
    18

    Stage 2 deletes: Why?

    Hello everyone,

    I have just about saved up my goal for my stage 2. I am always looking here and NASIOC for used equipment, and the more i look a growing wonder builds.

    For those of you that had gone stage 2 (TBE, intake, tune, possible boost control and EWG), what drove you to revert your cars back to stock, or at least delete the Stage 2 components? Not happy wit results? selling the car?

    For those with stage 2+, do you have plans to return to stock or plans to advance power?

    I am mostly curious as i have had my WRX for just over a year now and am very excited to get her to sound and feel just as i want, but if numerous people turning back from stage 2 seems like a red flag.

    Any thoughts? am i just focusing on a trend that may not translate to the larger modded WRX community?

    Thanks for your insight folks,

    DG

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    orlando flawduh
    Posts
    12,675
    I Support ClubWRX
    I've been stage 2 for 5 years and I'm content. No plans to revert back. No plans to increase

    desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Posts
    18
    Thanks for reply. I've probably just reading into other people's choices too much.

  5. #4
    Registered User UEDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    1,093
    To legally sell the car.

  6. #5
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,709
    I Support ClubWRX
    There are usually two main reasons people revert to stock:
    1) They have intentions of selling the vehicle, and realize that modifications don't add to the price of the car, so they're better off doing a part-out, from a financial standpoint
    2) They need money, and sell parts to get it
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    N. Shore, MA
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    There are usually two main reasons people revert to stock:
    1) They have intentions of selling the vehicle, and realize that modifications don't add to the price of the car, so they're better off doing a part-out, from a financial standpoint
    2) They need money, and sell parts to get it
    ^ this ^


    OP, i've been stage 2 for almost a year... i started modding right after my break-in period. hell, 8/11/2013 will my 1 year anniversary w/ the car. i dropped some serious cash... Winter Wheels & Rims, TBE, CAI, Cobb AP, Sounds, RA Mud Flaps, Tints, Roof Rack, short shifter / bushings, ect. ect. Gauge's / SMY Pod, Short Shifter and Bushings.....

    IF something happened that i needed to trade-in or get rid of my car, i would easily take a couple days to remove ALL of the parts and revert back to stock... considering i dropped more than $8k on a $29k car..... -the list is NOT all inclusive.... there are a ****-ton of other nickle and dime stuff i need to add to my spreadsheet

    there is no way in hell i would sell or trade the car in "as is" when i have all my OEM stuff in my basement... even if i sold the stuff for $3500, that's another $3500 in my pocket that would NOT be included IF i listed it w/ the car... that i'm still paying on.
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Posts
    18
    I appreciate your input everyone. This just gives me more confidence that I'll be happy with my initial modifications.

    Much thanks from a new subie newbie!

  9. #8
    Registered User wrxnguyen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    714 Orange County
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by BBDGriptonia View Post
    I appreciate your input everyone. This just gives me more confidence that I'll be happy with my initial modifications.

    Much thanks from a new subie newbie!
    Hey OP I'm going stage 1 this coming week! Already super excited to get the difference and hear that intake + bypass valve!!! )

  10. #9
    Subaru Newb MainFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    8,037
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know anyone that has "gone back" from stage two.. what makes you think people do this? People will revert to stock to sell a car, or like me, sell their stock location parts to go rotated.

  11. #10
    Registered User Ampliified's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Warren Twp, NJ
    Posts
    810
    I'm at stage two now looking to do coils and wheels and bigger turbo in the future.
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    38
    Stage 2 is a new car. Pulls hard all the way up to red line no power loss, more boost, feels like a turbo car should imo. I plan on being in the suby game a long time and after being on this tune for a year now I will do this to every suby I own. Cobb flashes on sti's must be amazing!

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    N. Shore, MA
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard11 View Post
    Stage 2 is a new car. Pulls hard all the way up to red line no power loss, more boost, feels like a turbo car should imo. I plan on being in the suby game a long time and after being on this tune for a year now I will do this to every suby I own. Cobb flashes on sti's must be amazing!
    Cobb OTS maps are okay for Stage 1. i had a lot of issues w/ stage 2 OTS maps. hence, i got pro tuned. the pro tune really breathed some life into the car. Mustang Dyno, 250 hp / 288 torque. i'm very happy with it. RACE CAR!
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

  14. #13
    Registered User olenderc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXchet View Post
    Cobb OTS maps are okay for Stage 1. i had a lot of issues w/ stage 2 OTS maps. hence, i got pro tuned. the pro tune really breathed some life into the car. Mustang Dyno, 250 hp / 288 torque. i'm very happy with it. RACE CAR!
    I don't know if it's because of the type of dyno you used, but 250/288 sound like some really really low numbers to throw down at stage 2. Could just be my inexperience, but I'm pretty sure I've seen bigger numbers from people on stage 1 tunes. If those are numbers you got from a pro-tune, I'd go ask for my money back..

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    N. Shore, MA
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by olenderc View Post
    I don't know if it's because of the type of dyno you used, but 250/288 sound like some really really low numbers to throw down at stage 2. Could just be my inexperience, but I'm pretty sure I've seen bigger numbers from people on stage 1 tunes. If those are numbers you got from a pro-tune, I'd go ask for my money back..
    the average dyno numbers for WRX's is around 220 to the wheels. as per Cobb's dyno database. for Stage 2, i'm pretty happy. the butt dyno says so as well. for a Cobb OTS map, i was looking at about 20-30% gains on each end. so the math works out.

    i got Tuned at Kaizen, their Dyno reads a little low vs. Bren Tuning, which tends to read higher. it's just a gauge, i wanted a conservative tune, because it's my only car / daily driver... i'm sure they could have tweaked it a little bit higher, but i had to be cautious. she's my baby! LOL.
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXchet View Post
    Cobb OTS maps are okay for Stage 1. i had a lot of issues w/ stage 2 OTS maps. hence, i got pro tuned. the pro tune really breathed some life into the car. Mustang Dyno, 250 hp / 288 torque. i'm very happy with it. RACE CAR!
    Really? I' am sure that pro tune is nice and way better than the cobb. But for a daily driver i think it is perfect. I did have problems hitting target boost at first but i found out I was missing that stupid restrictor pill. I will get a protune but I was going to wait until i one day get a vf34 with supporting mods. I' am happy with my cobb flash definitely a conservative tune though.
    Last edited by Buzzard11; 08-12-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •