Performance issues with K&N Typhoon intake
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Performance issues with K&N Typhoon intake within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Have a 13 Wrx with 10k on it. Today i installed a K&N air intake on it and something isnt ...

Angry Performance issues with K&N Typhoon intake

Have a 13 Wrx with 10k on it. Today i installed a K&N air intake on it and something isnt right. Off the line i dont notice any better response and power wise i would say its the same if not less than it had with the stock intake. Now aside from that when u get into it around half throttle or more at just over 4k just as its starting to push some power it goes flat. It hesitates. Best way to describe it would be like if you were to hit the rev limiter. Then after that quick skip or whatever it is, you can feel the boost kick back in. Now b4 i get responses about checking the fittings I'm a mechanic so i understand the basic trouble shooting and i have gone back through my work. Any ideas? I put some easy miles on it to see if the comp would adjust for the added air and its still running like sh*t.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Take it off. Intakes need to be tuned for. Unless you are getting pro-tuned, there are no off the shelf maps for K&N typhoons.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Take it off. Intakes need to be tuned for. Unless you are getting pro-tuned, there are no off the shelf maps for K&N typhoons.

I understand that when you change something like air flow it should be tuned. Some cars respond different than others to mods like this but ive seen 5 K&N kits installed on 09 and up wrx's without tunes and rode in the cars after. none of them had issues like this. I feel like there is another reason other then the tune

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    This. It's a pain, but these cars need a tune for almost every performance mod. It makes me have the sad faces. On my old Tiburon, I was able to add several bolt-ons and the ECU accepted them fine. Not so much with the WRX.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru fueling is MAF-based. Alterations to the intake diameter, design, etc. will all affect the scaling of the MAF sensor. If more/less air is going into the engine at any given time, it will alter the AFR, which can cause performance loss and possible engine damage (depending on how severe it is). I haven't remapped a newer car with the K&N intake, so I don't know the severity of how far off the MAF scaling is vs OE, but until you have the ability to properly alter the MAF scaling, I would remove the intake...

Honestly, feel isn't the way to determine if it's running properly, in this case; hard data (ECU/WBO2) is the only way. Subarus often feel the fastest right before the motor lets go...
    Last edited by EJ257; 07-30-2013 at 07:07 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by platinum08 View Post
    Have a 13 Wrx with 10k on it. Today i installed a K&N air intake on it and something isnt right. Off the line i dont notice any better response and power wise i would say its the same if not less than it had with the stock intake. Now aside from that when u get into it around half throttle or more at just over 4k just as its starting to push some power it goes flat. It hesitates. Best way to describe it would be like if you were to hit the rev limiter. Then after that quick skip or whatever it is, you can feel the boost kick back in. Now b4 i get responses about checking the fittings I'm a mechanic so i understand the basic trouble shooting and i have gone back through my work. Any ideas? I put some easy miles on it to see if the comp would adjust for the added air and its still running like sh*t.
    I had the EXACT same issue on my 2010 wrx. I bought the k & n intake before I really did my research. It would hesitate at 4k and then be fine. But no noticeable improvement.

I took it off, and I ended up selling it. I suggest doing the same. Whether it "doesn't need a tune" or does, it's not worth any potential damage to your engine.

The ecu can't compensate for the change well, but would be fine with a protune. But that's a waste if u plan on more upgrades. There are maps for intakes, such as the Cobb SF or AEM. But not the k&n.

Do more research, choose what u do carefully. There's a lot to learn, believe me I did. I plan on finally going stage 1 this week, otherwise stock. Later turbo back and stage 2. And from what I understand, the exhaust and intake don't necessarily work well together. The stock intake is perfectly sufficient until u plan on really building the hp. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Subaru fueling is MAF-based. Alterations to the intake diameter, design, etc. will all affect the scaling of the MAF sensor. If more/less air is going into the engine at any given time, it will alter the AFR, which can cause performance loss and possible engine damage (depending on how severe it is). I haven't remapped a newer car with the K&N intake, so I don't know the severity of how far off the MAF scaling is vs OE, but until you have the ability to properly alter the MAF scaling, I would remove the intake...
    Yeah i can smoke test it tomorrow. I have plans to tune it but i just hoped i could get away with the intake alone a bit. at least until i get closer to the warranty being up. Already having issues with paint chipping off and of course the dealer wont do a damn thing for me

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tesla317
    I had the EXACT same issue on my 2010 wrx. I bought the k & n intake before I really did my research. It would hesitate at 4k and then be fine. But no noticeable improvement.

I took it off, and I ended up selling it. I suggest doing the same. Whether it "doesn't need a tune" or does, it's not worth any potential damage to your engine.
    Good advice. Unless you have the ability to account for the different MAF scaling, an intake isn't worth the money or the risk, especially on the 3G vehicles.

The ecu can't compensate for the change well, but would be fine with a protune. But that's a waste if u plan on more upgrades. There are maps for intakes, such as the Cobb SF or AEM. But not the k&n.
    Cobb isn't the only source of tunes

You can get an e-tune that would be better than a base map, and would be able to account for the intake, provided the tuner had proper data (e.g., WBO2).

Do more research, choose what u do carefully. There's a lot to learn, believe me I did. I plan on finally going stage 1 this week, otherwise stock. Later turbo back and stage 2. And from what I understand, the exhaust and intake don't necessarily work well together. The stock intake is perfectly sufficient until u plan on really building the hp. Hope this helps.
    Depends on what you consider "sufficient". On an '09+ WRX, I'd expect at least 10whp peak gain, and more as it approaches redline. If you're able to keep IDCs down, even better gains are possible as you approach redline.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post

Im gonna head out and put the stock back in and go back to the "drawing board" i guess. I spent the last 2 years building my 08 Mustang to 600 rwhp.... (And then sold it ) Learning "lessons". You would think that i would have learned from my mistakes with that

It still bothers me that ive seen this done without a tune but i have issues when i do it

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by platinum08
    It still bothers me that ive seen this done without a tune but i have issues when i do it
    Again, just because the car "feels" fine, doesn't mean it is...

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by platinum08 View Post

Oh believe me, I wanted mine to work too...really bad. I was new to Subaru's, and I didn't know what I was really doing. I thought "hey, more air! Faster, better gas mileage, awesome!" That was short lived as soon as I pulled out of the driveway lol.

It sounds great by all means and is a good design, and I'm sure it would be great with a proper tune. But I figured if I ever really wanted one, id go with cobb and have the peace of mind of knowing Id be safe.

My money is going to the new V3 Accessport coming out this week. Much better investment than anything else at this point, and is a must "for most people" for any future mods without a protune.

I will say this, by design and visual observation...it looks really close to the cobb intake without the box. I have been curious if the Cobb map would run this intake, considering they seem to be so close in design. Just food for thought...

If I am not mistaken only intake that you can use and doesn't require tune is the SPT just bolt on am right or wrong guys??

No SPT intake for the GRs. Take it off or tune for it.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

My car is bone stock!! nothing to take it off but what is GRs??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast