WRX modifications <1000$ - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on WRX modifications <1000$ within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; You're just as likely to blow your motor using an AP as you would be using ECUFlash.. they do the ...

I Support ClubWRX
    You're just as likely to blow your motor using an AP as you would be using ECUFlash.. they do the exact same thing, flash maps to your ECU. Only one uses a palm sized device that cost $600 and is only useful for one thing, and can only be used on one car. The other uses a laptop that can go for as little as $199 and has many MANY more functions (including wifi, iTunes, movies, games, MS Office Applications, Photoshop, ClubWRX.net, etc.), and can be used on an unlimited number of vehicles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I mean...we can only say so many times that they are basically the same thing only different. They are both a means to the same end. Both are well respected, well tested, well built platforms. If you have an issue with one, then you'd probably have an issue with the other as well.

I'm willing to bet more professional tuners out there prefer tuning Open Source as opposed to Cobb...yet there are still those protuners out there that will only tune using Cobb methods.

OP...go ahead and spend your $600 on an AP. I'll keep my Open Source.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I'm willing to bet more professional tuners out there prefer tuning Open Source as opposed to Cobb
    It depends. Nearly every tuner can tune both, but Cobb locks the map and protects the tuner's intellectual property. Many tuners prefer this added security, though I am not pleased with the fact that it forces the end user to rely on said tuner for EVERY step forward.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    It's very easy. All you have to do to get accesstuner after you buy your AP is email cobb and they will send the software over email for you to download to your computer. You can't use a MAC. They only have it for PC.
    Cobb's user-level software is Accessport Manager. It's available for download for both Windows and OSX (10.5 or 10.6, Intel Macs only).

Accessport

AP Manager will allow you to transfer files between a PC and the Accessport. I don't have a Mac, but I suppose that version works as well.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    Cobb's user-level software is Accessport Manager. It's available for download for both Windows and OSX (10.5 or 10.6, Intel Macs only).

Accessport

AP Manager will allow you to transfer files between a PC and the Accessport. I don't have a Mac, but I suppose that version works as well.
    Must be new for the new V3. They didn't have it for the V2 when I got mine.

Just got a V2, a few days before the V3 release. (Cygnus Performance was running a deal.) It came with no installation media for AP Manager, so I had to download it from Cobb. That was when I noticed the Mac version.

Warning: for anyone silly enough to be running the Windows 8.1 preview version, Cobb doesn't support that OS. AP Manager installed on my 8.1 PC, but it couldn't see the Accessport. It was OK on a Win7 X64 laptop.

zax
    Not true. I used the manager for Mac when I had an AP V2 years ago.

ATR, however, is not available for Mac.

Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Not true. I used the manager for Mac when I had an AP V2 years ago.

ATR, however, is not available for Mac.
    Thanks for waking me up out of my haze. It is ATR that I was refering to. I have been using the manger on my mac for about a year!

EDIT - actually looking at my original post I do believe I was talking about access tuner. Guess I wasn't asleep.

zax
    Thanks for waking me up out of my haze. It is ATR that I was refering to. I have been using the manger on my mac for about a year!

EDIT - actually looking at my original post I do believe I was talking about access tuner. Guess I wasn't asleep.
    Somewhere along the line, someone bait-and-switched!

Facebook me here

^You know, I never understood why dat bitch always pulled the ball away.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Thanks for the help y'all, but I've decided to go with an AP, then download AP Manager and Accesstuner then buy the Torqued Performance Map. I would do opensource but ya know I honestly don't trust myself with opensource and I just want a short plug and play solution. Opensource seems like a good idea but just not for me at the moment. Thanks for the all the help! really appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Wrx>> View Post
    Thanks for the help y'all, but I've decided to go with an AP, then download AP Manager and Accesstuner then buy the Torqued Performance Map. I would do opensource but ya know I honestly don't trust myself with opensource and I just want a short plug and play solution. Opensource seems like a good idea but just not for me at the moment. Thanks for the all the help! really appreciate it
    What torqued performance map did u buy? Access port has their ots maps including stage 1.

Right.

You don't need Access Tuner to use the Access Port. AP Manager will allow you to upload and download data and maps. There's a Mac version of it.

I didn't realize that Access Tuner Race is a free download for AP V2 owners. (V3 too, I suppose. It's Windows only, as posted.) I wonder how many of you make good use of it?

Quote Originally Posted by wrxnguyen View Post
    What torqued performance map did u buy? Access port has their ots maps including stage 1.
    Yeah I bought the torqued performance stage 1 map cuz it provides more power gains, I heard the cobb sage 1 93 was a little conservative, so I read up about the torqued performance stage 1 map and heard it was a big step up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123