New WRX 2013 Sedan - Need help with a budgeted upgrade
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New WRX 2013 Sedan - Need help with a budgeted upgrade within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum but not new to the WRX. My last one was a rally blue ...

Question New WRX 2013 Sedan - Need help with a budgeted upgrade

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum but not new to the WRX. My last one was a rally blue 2004 WRX and I loved it very much.
    Since the EJ25 2013 engine a bit different than the 2004 I would like to ask for your help in suggesting me where I should
    go or do for an upgrade in order to get to a good and stable stage I or I-1/2.

Unfortunately all I can afford right now is about $1K. would that be enough for a good ECU tune and an Intake?
    Also, how much HP/Torque can I expect to gain?

Any suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,

WRXBUZZ
    --

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i think that would go over the 1k budget. the intake should be like 150- 200 the cobb tuner should cost you 550-650ish plus a pro tune might be a few hundred so you might go a little over depending on if you get deals on these items and where you get your tune. but more importantly if you got only 1 k to play with and your still under factory warranty do you really want to fawk that over when you only got 1k? pretty sure if you bomb your engine on a tune subaru would find out through a thorough search... not like they be giving out free engines namean? think about it..

I Support ClubWRX
    WRX modifications <1000$

Wait until your break in period is over before you do anything major.

Thanks Guys, I just noticed that Cobb is coming out soon with v3 which costs $650.
    Is it possible to run safely with a pre-tuned Cobb map and without any other add-ons? (DP,AP,Intake)

I do want to keep my warranty so with the Cobb I can always switch to the default map when
    visiting the dealership and fly under the radar. Thoughts?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxbuzz View Post
    Thanks Guys, I just noticed that Cobb is coming out soon with v3 which costs $650.
    Is it possible to run safely with a pre-tuned Cobb map and without any other add-ons? (DP,AP,Intake)

I do want to keep my warranty so with the Cobb I can always switch to the default map when
    visiting the dealership and fly under the radar. Thoughts?
    What you are describing would be a stage 1 tune. It has been shown to run safely, although all cars don't take maps as well as others. That is the danger with an "off the shelf map." So when you do this, you want to monitor the car (data logging) to make sure the car is running ok. If you are not experienced with that post up the logs here and people will look a them for you.

As far as flying under the radar at the dealership I usually have the same response. Don't try and hide that from them. If you choose to modify than you accept the risk that you might have to pay for something that you break. If it is unrelated then the warranty will cover it, but if you break something then why should the dealer/subaru be responsible for that? Just my opinion.

Welcome! There are also other options for getting a stage 1 or 2 tune that are less expensive.

Cobb AP vs OpenECU (Tactrix/Romraider/ECUFlash)

If you are concerned about warranty, then best thing is to just stay stock until it is over. Otherwise, some dealerships are more mod friendly than others, you could feel out your service dept. for their stance.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Before any upgrade make sure your local dealer is mod friendly. Or you will have to travel far to find one that is to service your car. Break in your new baby too.

Cheers

Thanks for all the answers guys!!

I think I will pre-order the Cobb Accessport V3 and run it with an SPT Intake which is under warranty, that way it won't raise any red flags with the dealer as I'll have them install it for me. I like the way the car runs but I also need more power than the regular stock, so I'll take my chances and try to play it as safe as possible.

My new Subie...

Thanks for all the answers guys!!

I think I will pre-order the Cobb Accessport V3 and run it with an SPT Intake which is under warranty, that way it won't raise any red flags with the dealer as I'll have them install it for me. I like the way the car runs but I also need more power than the regular stock, so I'll take my chances and try to play it as safe as possible.

My new Subie...
    That intake won't work with your car.
    - Will

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    That intake won't work with your car.
    True. I pasted the wrong one. But it's still going to be an SPT.

True. I pasted the wrong one. But it's still going to be an SPT.
    Huh! I wasn't aware there was an SPT intake for the 3rd gen cars.
    - Will

Is there an SPT intake for the 2013?
    -Phillip
    2013 WRX STI WRB

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo8u2 View Post
    Is there an SPT intake for the 2013?
    Not to my knowledge.
    - Will

... I guess I'll have to settle for Cobb then.

iH4
    I wouldn't waste money on intake... get the Cobb Catted Downpipe instead. I drove on Stage 1 after 1000 miles and to 3100 - Just installed downpipe and flashed to Stage 2 in one minute. I'm very happy with performance now though, I am getting pro-tuned after regardless.

Now, 3200 miles on 2013.
    Time for AWD fun! CBS 2013 WRX Sedan - SoCal - OC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.