An exhaust question awaits!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on An exhaust question awaits! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys I have a question here... Im looking to get a little more sound outta my car but I ...

Registered User ClosetSubyLover's Avatar

An exhaust question awaits!

Hey guys I have a question here... Im looking to get a little more sound outta my car but I seem to be on the fence about what I wanna do. I've been looking into CB Exhaust systems from Borla and Magnaflow but I havent really decided if I wanna go ahead and do this or if I want to just get a muffler and save the $600-700.

If I went ahead and JUST bought a muffler am I gonna be skipping out on performance characteristics?? Like obviously the car breathing better?

The exhaust I have on there now is a 2.5'' exhaust off an 04 STI. It does already have the CL downpipe b/c of the Stage 2 Tune on it.

I hope this wasnt a stupid question but Im a little skeptical on spending so much money for hardly any performance increase from what I already have. That being said I still would like to get some better sound or lack there of from whats on there now...

Cheers guys and I hope I can get a little advice on what someone in my position would do! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You're not going to get any measurable performance increase without a downpipe and a tune.. catback is worthless power wise, unless you're already beyond stage two, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    You're not going to get any measurable performance increase without a downpipe and a tune.. catback is worthless power wise, unless you're already beyond stage two, so I wouldn't worry about it.
    But I have a downpipe and it has a Stage 2 Tune... is the CB system still worthless to me then? Im just kinda tired of it being so quiet...

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetSubyLover View Post
    But I have a downpipe and it has a Stage 2 Tune... is the CB system still worthless to me then? Im just kinda tired of it being so quiet...

Not entirely useless, but negligible. Unless you're running a medium-large turbo the most you will see from a catback is a couple hp.. not enough to tell a difference.

The most restrictive part of the catback is the muffler anyways.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    If you just want sound get an axleback or just a muffler.

Where do you plan to go with the car in the future as far as power mods?

Not entirely useless, but negligible. Unless you're running a medium-large turbo the most you will see from a catback is a couple hp.. not enough to tell a difference.

The most restrictive part of the catback is the muffler anyways.
    I see said the blind man! Yeah I wasnt really keen on spending almost a "G note" for a couple HP. I hate to sound like a broken record but I was just looking for a little better sound without spending gobs of money to do so, but this has helped me kinda figure out what I wanna do and no Im still sitting on the stock turbo so obviously Im not restricting anything.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    If you just want sound get an axleback or just a muffler.

Where do you plan to go with the car in the future as far as power mods?
    Honestly, I want a DD with some right foot if I want it... Just things like an intake(which is already on the way), an exhaust, maybe some STI Pinks Injectors if they have some slight performance value, possibly a TMIC that did a better job than the factory one, and maybe a custom tune just to get the ABSOLUTE MOST out of what I have done to it. I did possibly want to go through the engine and freshen it up a little but that's way down the road when the money and time is there...

Since I'm probably just going to get a muffler, does anyone have suggestions on what muffler to get?

You won't need injectors unless you upgrade turbo or want to run e85. TMIC will help, so would a 3-port EBCS.

I don't like loud mufflers, so my top two suggestions would be a Maddad Whisper, or Borla Hush.

You won't need injectors unless you upgrade turbo or want to run e85. TMIC will help, so would a 3-port EBCS.

I don't like loud mufflers, so my top two suggestions would be a Maddad Whisper, or Borla Hush.
    Ok thanks for the heads up. Im so new to the turbocharged cars its not even funny. So I apologize if I seem like a n00b lol. I went to Diesel school so I have a new passion for anything that isnt naturally aspirated.

I have to learn what I can and cannot do to these Subaru's and where I could get into trouble and where I can't.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    The only thing you can do wrong is not tune after you mod and not do your research

Local speedshops are usually the best places for info. If you have questions just get on the phone for a couple minutes or drive down and talk. Cobb has a list of great shops on their website. Also, check out your local forums on NASIOC or wherever and see what the locals recommend.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.