need EWG help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on need EWG help within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So ive been looking into getting a new up pipe. i dont really know anything about external wastegates but the ...

Question need EWG help

So ive been looking into getting a new up pipe. i dont really know anything about external wastegates but the more i read that seems to be the way to go. what all do i have to do to my car to run an ewg? What do i do about the internal one? and is it even worth it? From what i read it seems well worth it. im curious to see you guys input on it.
    2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Hatch
    Mods : Yakima Roof Rack, Perrin catted DP, Perrin CAI, Perrin shifter bushings, Perrin AP stage 2, Ebay/Custom 3" cat back, carbon Subaru emblems, blacked out tail lights, Cobb STS, Raceland Coilovers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You will need the EWG itself, a dump tube, an appropriate uppipe, an IWG bracket, and a tune. I would suggest jumping over to hybrid boost control as well.

You will need to hold the IWG flapper shut somehow. There are brackets, or you could do like I did previously and hack your actuator up to make your own bracket.. or you can just weld the flapper shut.

Worth it is subjective. The car will make more power, have better boost control, and be very loud when you get on it.

Im looking at getting the grimmspeed uppipe with the ewg and dump tube. Should i go with the 38 or 44 mm and why?
    Mods : Yakima Roof Rack, Perrin catted DP, Perrin CAI, Perrin shifter bushings, Perrin AP stage 2, Ebay/Custom 3" cat back, carbon Subaru emblems, blacked out tail lights, Cobb STS, Raceland Coilovers

I have a welder so that could be done. I have some buddies that say its pretty easy to weld.

44mm is more expensive and not needed unless you're running a large turbo. 38mm will work fine for you performance wise, but it will be a little louder and higher pitched due to the diameter of the pipe. Technically 44mm should be more responsive boost control wise, but 38mm is already pretty big for a stockish sized turbo.

Well i plan on going bigger turbo within a year or so should i just go with the 44. Its only like 10$ more on the grimmspeed uppipe

Quote Originally Posted by BEASTmode632 View Post
    Well i plan on going bigger turbo within a year or so should i just go with the 44. Its only like 10$ more on the grimmspeed uppipe

The Tial MV-R (44mm) costs $100 more than the MV-S (38mm).

What do you mean by "bigger" turbo? Going from a tiny turbo to a small turbo won't make much difference EWG wise. For a medium to large turbo you will need a fully built motor anyways..

I guess it really depends on what size turbo and turbine housing you're going to run, and at what pressure ratio.. the more exhaust gas you need to bypass the larger valve you want and vice versa.

So if you're running a largeish turbo at high boost you will need a smaller wastegate than you would running the same turbo at lower boost, if that makes sense.

Side note.. if you're going to be installing a larger turbo, I would suggest not wasting your money on a stock location uppipe and just go rotated.

Rotated is just alot of money from what ive seen. I havent looked into that much. Ive just seen that perrin offers a few turbo upgrades that dont require alot of extra mods

Rotated doesn't really cost any more money than regular stage two with a turbo upgrade and EWG. The perceived cost is because most people will spend the money on stock location parts first, essentially having to pay for everything twice.

Rotated uppipe and downpipe kits can be had for $850 (not much more than a stock location EWG uppipe and aftermarket downpipe). Then rotated turbos are generally cheaper than their stock location counter parts. You will need an intake to fit rotated location, but that shouldn't cost any more than an intake for stock location. You'll need injectors and a fuel pump, but you would need that with an upgraded stock location turbo.

Anyways, Perrin doesn't make turbos, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there..

Perrin sells the blouch turbo upgrades. But i already have a downpipe and intake so therefor id have to get new ones. What makes rotated so much better?

Quote Originally Posted by BEASTmode632 View Post
    Perrin sells the blouch turbo upgrades. But i already have a downpipe and intake so therefor id have to get new ones. What makes rotated so much better?

A lot of places sell Blouch turbos, many of them for much less than Perrin would charge. 95% of the time you're better off buying through a small vendor.

Rotated is just more efficient. The same turbo in a rotated configuration will out spool as well as have more top end than the identical turbo in stock location. Plus rotated makes everything easier to work on. On top of that, there infinitely more turbo options for rotated, many of them much cheaper than a comparable stock location turbo.

But if you already have a downpipe and intake then you'd be facing the hassle of selling off your stock location parts, and the disappointment of selling parts for much less than you paid for them. Something I'm going through right now, lol.

Thats exactly where i was seeing it from. Well lets say im gonna keep the stock turbo. Cause i wont be able to afford a turbo upgrade for a while. Would u reccomend the 38 or 44 mm wastegate and how would ypu reccommend blocking off the stock iwg?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.