looking for some opinions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on looking for some opinions within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Greetings Fellow Subaru drivers! I am currently in thestages of purchasing a few upgrades for my 2011 WRX. So ...

looking for some opinions

Greetings Fellow Subaru drivers!

I am currently in thestages of purchasing a few upgrades for my 2011 WRX. So far, in terms of research this is what I am looking at

InvidiaCatless DivorcedWastegate Downpipe - $295
    Cobb Short Ram SF intake - $195
    Cobb Short Ram SF intake housing box - $85
    Cobb Access Port - $500-$600
    Custom Tune - $300-$500

In total I am looking at spending about$1600 plus and minus $300 for shipping and install cost. However I know friends that work at Subaru and wouldn't charge me install, and the only thing I need installed is the downpipe as I can do everything else.

So the question I have is just what opinions everyone has on these parts. What I am looking for, ismods that will increase myWHP and Torque without a dramatic increase in sound and fuel consumption (although saving gas would be even better). Talking with my mechanic, these are the upgrades he suggested minus the AP. The Short Ram would increase airflow, and the Downpipe as well, and with a decent tune should bring me onSTI levels of power while saving gas (he claims). I've looked at different brands for the downpipe and I knowa lot exist andInvidia seems the best so far, unless someone can suggest otherwise. Cobb SF intake has been on my list for a long time now, and it is less expensive theK&N intake. I want a custom tune because I live in Canada and while I know it is easy tograb a map online, most of the maps are for places in the US and my Subaru mechanic friend mentioned thata lot of people end up grabbing tunes that don't work for their cars in Canada (due to land elevation and etc) and end up damaging the car instead.Originally my mechanic suggested I just get a custom tune and be done with as he says that even a custom tune on stock parts would increase power and save on fuel consumption. But I want more, then a friend suggested the idea of an AP but not for setting maps but for having multiple maps to store after the custom tune. One for winter streetdriving with less power better on gas,Summer street, more power but still good gas consumption, and one for track, for maximum power sacrificing some gas.

So what do you guys think? Suggestions? Opinions? I am open to anything. As I don't plan to doa lot of track, every day driving is my main concern, and any of my fellow Canadians will tell you winters here in Canada can be very rough. So I want don't want to spend anymore then the list, I don't want my car to sound loud, I want it to be effectively a sleeper, and I am focused on saving gas as well as increasing engine power.

To clarify, my two friends, One is a subaru mechanic, the other has owned his own shop for 10 years and been working on Subaru cars for over 6 years, he is a huge subie fan and knows them inside and out and alot of his customers are Subaru owners as well.

thanks for the help guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You have a solid to-do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart153
    I want a custom tune because I live in Canada and while I know it is easy tograb a map online, most of the maps are for places in the US and my Subaru mechanic friend mentioned thata lot of people end up grabbing tunes that don't work for their cars in Canada (due to land elevation and etc) and end up damaging the car instead.
    Yes and no. Subaru owners are often cheap, looking to spend the least amount of money possible. They find a free map online, flash it, and think they're fine. They don't have the mental capacity to properly datalog, interpret, and modify the maps as needed to suit their situation. That is why they end up with broken cars.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks for the input. Do you think a custom tune is necessary then? Or would using the Ap and taking time to build a custom map a cheap and equally effective method?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart153
    Thanks for the input. Do you think a custom tune is necessary then? Or would using the Ap and taking time to build a custom map a cheap and equally effective method?
    A custom tune is always better than a base map. If you have the knowledge to be able to look at a datalog, and modify the map accordingly, then I wouldn't spend money to have someone else do it for you. You'll need a WBO2 to be able to dial in the fueling, so that adds in an additional cost.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.